Li Hui (De'ang) SGZ Translation

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Li Hui (De'ang) SGZ Translation

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Howdy. I've been working on a translation of Li Hui's SGZ bio, since he seemed like a talented fellow. My translation skills are not very good, so I thought I might share my (very) rough draft and see if anybody was at all interested in helping to clean it up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Translation

Li Hui styled De’ang, from Yuyuan in Jianning, served as a Commander (督) in the commandery office, his uncle Nang Xi was made Prefect (令) of Jianling, he infringed upon his affairs, so Li Hui removed him from office. The Grand Administrator Dong He, because of Xi’s local influence and large family, took no action.(1) Later, Li Hui was recommended to Yizhou, 涉道末至, heard that Liu Bei was advancing from Jiameng to attack Liu Zhang. Hui was aware that Liu Zhang would be defeated, and that Liu Bei would certainly succeed, therefore he supported (名郡使), went north to Liu Bei, and received him at Mianzhu. Liu Bei (something about being auspicious), advanced to Luo city, sent Li Hui to Hanzhong to befriend Ma Chao, and convince Ma Chao to support them. Chengdu surrendered, Liu Bei received title Governor of Yizhou , Hui was made 功曹書佐 and 主簿.Later, he was arrested on false charges that he was plotting a rebellion and planned to take control. Liu Bei did not believe this and promoted Li Hui to be別駕從事. In the first year of Zhangwu, 庲降都 Deng Fang died, Liu Bei asked Li Hui who could replace him. Li Hui said, “A person’s ability always has a duration, thus Kongzi said, ‘Employ people as tools’. 且夫明主在上,則臣下盡情,是以先零之役,趙充國日『莫若老臣』。臣竊不自量,惟陛下察之.”Liu Bei said, “孤之本意,亦已在卿矣!”Thereupon Li Hui was made Acting 降都督, given Jie authority, Inspector of Jiaozhou, in Pingyi county. (2)

When Liu Bei died (223), Gaoding without restraint in Yue, Yong Kai controlled Jianning, Zhu Bao revolted in Zhangke. Chancellor Zhuge Liang began a punitive expedition to the south, first going to Yue, and Li Hui go to Jianning. All of the counties gathered in great numbers, surround Li Hui at Kunming. At that time Li Hui’s enemy was numerous and his troops few, outnumbered two or three times over, and received no word from Zhuge Liang, Li Hui said to the southern people: 官軍糧盡,欲規退還,吾中間久斥鄉里,乃今得旋,不能復北,欲還與汝等同計謀,故以誠相告(Wanting to defect.) The southern people believed him and relaxed their guard. Thereupon Li Hui attacked, greatly defeating them, pursued the fleeing enemies south to Pan River, heard from Zhangke in the east, and joined his momentum with Zhuge Liang.

When the southern lands were pacified, Li Hui’s service was the greatest in the army. He was conferred Marquis of Hanxing, and 安漢將軍. Later the army returned, the southern people returned to rebellion, killing the garrison generals. Li Hui personally went to suppress the revolt, to exterminate the evildoers (something about going to Chengdu), 賦出叟, 濮耕牛戰馬金銀犀革, sufficient to proceed with army supplies, at that time it was too expensive. (Li Hui wanted to lead a campaign south and requested a bunch of stuff but it was too expensive?). Jianxing 7 (229), Jiaozhou joined Wu, it was divided and Li Hui was made Inspector. Then he became Jianning Grand Administrator, and in addition reside in Ben commandery (以還居本郡). He changed his residence to Hanzhong, and died in the Ninth Year (231). His son Li Yi succeeded him, Hui’s younger son Li Qiu was羽林右部督, followed Zhuge Zhan to oppose Deng Ai, before the battle went to the front line to give orders, died at Mianzhu.

(1) Huayang Guozhi says: 习后官至领军

(2) 臣松之讯之蜀人,云庲降地名,去蜀二千馀里,时未有宁州,号为南中,立此职以总摄之。晋泰始中,始分为宁州

-----------------------------

Original Text:

李恢字德昂,建寧俞元人也,仕郡督郵,姑夫囊習為建伶令,有違犯之事,恢坐習免官。太守董和以習方土大姓,寢而不許。华阳国志曰:习后官至领军。後貢恢於州,涉道末至,聞先主自葭萌還攻劉璋。恢知璋之必敗,先主必成也,乃托名郡使,北詣先主,遇於綿竹。先主嘉之,從至洛城,遣恢至漢中交好馬超,超遂從命。成都既定,先主領益州牧,以恢為功曹書佐、主簿。後為亡虜所誣,引恢謀反,有司執送。先主明其不然,更遷恢為別駕從事。章武元年,庲降都督鄧方卒,先主問恢:「誰可代者?」恢對曰:「人之才能,各有長短,故孔子曰『其使人也器之』。且夫明主在上,則臣下盡情,是以先零之役,趙充國日『莫若老臣』。臣竊不自量,惟陛下察之」。先主笑曰:「孤之本意,亦已在卿矣!」遂以恢為庲降都督,使持節領交州刺史,住平夷縣。臣松之讯之蜀人,云庲降地名,去蜀二千馀里,时未有宁州,号为南中,立此职以总摄之。晋泰始中,始分为宁州。

先主薨,高定恣睢於越俊,雍闓跋扈於建寧,朱褒反叛於牂牁。丞相亮南征,先由越俊,而恢案道向建寧。諸縣大相糾合,圍恢軍於昆明。時恢眾少敵倍,又未得亮聲息,繪謂南人曰:「官軍糧盡,欲規退還,吾中間久斥鄉里,乃今得旋,不能復北,欲還與汝等同計謀,故以誠相告。」南人信之,故圍守怠緩。於是恢出擊,大破之,追奔逐北,南至槃江,東接牂牁,與亮聲勢相連。

南土平定,恢軍功居多。封漢興亭侯,加安漢將軍。後軍還,南夷復叛,殺害守將。恢身往撲討,鋤盡惡類,徙其豪帥於成都,賦出叟、濮耕牛戰馬金銀犀革,充繼軍資,於時費用不乏。建興七年,以交州屬吳,解恢刺史。更領建寧太守,以還居本郡。徙居漢中,九年卒。子遺嗣,恢弟子球,羽林右部督,隨諸葛瞻拒鄧艾,臨陣授命,死於綿竹。
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Li Hui (De'ang) SGZ Translation

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:00 pm

Ah, so he did do some great work in the Southern Campaigns and that part about him being slandered and Liu Bei not believing that was quite interesting as well.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:31 am

Duyou督郵 is not a commander and its literal meaning is a postal inspector, though it can actually oversee all sorts of affair in the counties. The inspector beaten by Zhang Fei in the novel is also a duyou.

The original texts say Nang Xi had violated the laws and as a result Li Hui was going to be removed from his office. Traditional Chinese laws are known to feature collective punishments that involve one's relatives. Dong He actually saved both Nang Xi and Li Hui.

The term tuoming托名 should be read together with the meaing of "do something in somebody else 's name", and junshi郡使 literally means a messager from the commandery. In other words, Li Hui pretended to be a messager from the local commandery in other to visit Liu Bei.

The character yu遇 means "meet" or "encounter". I am not sure what you meant by "receive", but that doesn't sound right to me.

The character jia嘉 can mean "praise" or "joyful" besides "auspicious".

The Confucius' saying should be render as "But in his (a superior man's) employment of men, he uses them according to their capacity".

Normally I would skip through the untranslated Chinese texts, but I think there is a need to point out that laixiang dudu庲降都督 is a post title that must be read together. In most cases, dudu都督 is the commander-in-chief of armies in one of more area(s), and its title usually comes with the name(s) of effective province(s) as a prefix. While laixiang dudu庲降都督 is obviously the commander-in-chief of armies in the southwestern region, its title is special because laixiang庲降 is an expression meaning "to comfort and submit" instead of the name of a place.

The location of Guo Ding's rebellion should be 越嶲/越巂 instead of 越俊. A single character Yue越 would have entirely different geographic meaning (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yue_(state) ). 越嶲/越巂 is a Han commandery and can be transliterated as either Yuexi, Yuesui, Yuegui, Yuejuan or Yueyi because there is no agreed pronunciation for the second character.

The character xi徙 does not mean "exterminate" but to move people from one place to another, usually as a punishment for they should serve corvee at their destination.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:49 am

Thanks a lot. I'll update the translation to reflect all of this soon.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:53 am

The description of military supplies means that the southern western region, after Li Hui's effort, could greatly support the (northern) frontline.

The 229 transfer is to remove the provincial office of Jiaozhou in Shu because Wu and Shu come to an agreement on how their territories should be divided after the unification of China, in which Jiaozhou would be given to Wu, so Shu could not have an Inspector of Jiaozhou in its system.

The term benjun本郡 means one's root, original, or native commandery. Since Li Hui is from Jianning and he is given an office at Jianning in 229, he returns and resides at his home.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:06 am

Thanks again. I was sort of hoping that my clumsy efforts would inspire someone more qualified to lend a hand.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium