Cao Cao (2013 TV Series)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Cao (2013 TV Series)

Unread postby Motrini » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:33 pm

Quite surprised no one talked about this yet...
New Cao Cao TV series directed by Hu Mei (Confucius 2010).
It was announced two years ago and it's now getting an home video release in Japan with the Chinese broadcast to be set later on.
Here's the Japanese website with the cast and a trailer (you can watch it using a youtube proxy if it's blocked in your country).
I'm not too sure how to feel about this.
Cao Cao is, of course, one of the most interesting personalities of his time, but I would be quite annoyed to see yet another attempt to reevaluate him while sticking to the novel instead of trying an historical approach (you can hear some of his most famous SYY quotes in the trailer) or by turning him into a misunderstood absolutely good guy.
Also, do the three brothers look weird or is it just me? :lol:
Last edited by Motrini on Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motrini
Tyro

Re: Cao Cao (2013 TV Series)

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:24 pm

Bored of Wei and Shu, when is Sun Ce going to get a turn :(.

Other than that sounds exciting.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Motrini » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:46 pm

By the way, here are the old Chinese promotional videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLJrysAQgQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0EZyWWIbSs
The soundtrack used is from Fuurin Kazan (a Japanese taiga drama), not the show itself.
Last edited by Motrini on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motrini
Tyro

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:08 pm

The three bros look... distorted.

I guess if you have to make a TV show focusing on one person Cao Cao would be the prime choice--you can get a lot more sex and violence mileage out of him than, say, Sun Quan.

I think the problem that any TK-themed show is going to face is that viewers come in expecting all the iconic lines and events, and if you don't show those your head would be bitten off. If this Cao Cao doesn't deliver the "Rather I betray the world" line, there will be riots.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Well, it is the second best line in the novel (first best is Zhuge Liang saying "Now I will write him such a letter that he will DIE").
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Boydie » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:38 am

That guy playing Guan Yu just doesn't look right! Far to skinny for my liking! Also his bread isn't magnificent enough! :lol:

Edit: A series of Sun Quan slowly turning more and more mental while his decline in mental health would make for good viewing!
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:23 am

Boydie wrote:Edit: A series of Sun Quan slowly turning more and more mental while his decline in mental health would make for good viewing!

I'd watch that religiously, waiting on the edge of my seat for the episode where he sets the gate of Zhang Zhao's estate on fire. In order to apologize to him. That crazy, crazy bastard.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:48 am

Wasn't the series from a few years back pretty heavily Cao Cao?

In either case I'm kind of tired of hearing about Shu and Wei--it'd be interesting for something about one of the non-three kingdoms lords, like Yuan Shao or even Liu Biao.

Also, the best line from the novel is none of the above:
Yuan Shu, glorious emperor of Cheng wrote:"You weaver of mats! You plaiter of straw shoes! You have been smart enough to get possession of a large region and elbow your way into the ranks of the nobles. I was just going to attack you, and now you dare to scheme against me! How I detest you!"
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:15 am

I beg to differ ...
Sima Yi wrote:If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:36 pm

All of you seem to have missed the ACTUAL best line:
"Sir, you are quite mistaken," said Mi Heng with a smile. "I know all these things you call people. Xun Yu is qualified to pose at a funeral or ask after a sick man; Xun You is fit to be a tomb guardian; Cheng Yu might be sent to shut doors and bolt windows; and Guo Jia is a reciter of poems; Zhang Liao might beat drums and clang gongs; Xu Chu might lead cattle to pasture; Yue Jing would make a fair reader of elegy; Li Dian could carry dispatches and notices; Lu Qian would be a fair armorer; Man Chong could be sent to drink wine and eat brewers' grains; Yu Jin might be of use to carry planks and build walls; Xu Huang might be employed to kill pigs and slay dogs; Xiahou Dun should be styled 'Whole Body General,' and Cao Ren should be called 'Money-grubbing Governor.' As for the remainder, they are mere clothes shelves, rice sacks, wine vases, flesh bags."
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium