1994 tv series or 2010 tv series

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

1994 tv series or 2010 tv series

Unread postby bracer028 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm

can anyone give a good review of both. I've watched the 1994 version, so is the 2010 version much better?
bracer028
Tyro

Re: 1994 tv series or 2010 tv series

Unread postby Zorkaz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:31 am

They are both very different and hard to compare. The old series goes very strict by the novel (With all the Taoist-magic and so), while the new series takes a rather realistic approach to the various incidents.
Also the new series is more cinematic, while the old series feels, at least to me, a bit like a bedtime-story. :)
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby Nazne » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:24 pm

This thread has a lot of discussion on TK2010, occasionally in comparison to the '94 version; I linked to a page where comparisons start getting made to '94.

In a nutshell, the '94 version is a direct translation of RoTK into live-action form, including hundreds of characters and some of the mystical elements, as Zorkaz mentioned. This is reflected by characters speaking almost word-for-word their lines in RoTK, with a generally theatrical feel. I think it'd be more appealing to a traditionalist, someone who really enjoys the RoTK on its own, or someone who doesn't mind '90s acting and production values. Some of the series' music is quite iconic (and makes up a large part of my childhood), but other than that it's aged poorly due to the constant switching of actors and wooden acting, especially from background figures.

In contrast, TK2010 tells the main Three Kingdoms story by focusing on its primary characters and the rise of the three kingdoms, and cutting out some secondary plots and characters. It's not the series to watch if you want to see every detail and character in the RoTK, but the major characters it does focus on are well-characterized and memorable, and it does a good job of conveying the "big picture" - the ebb and flow of power among the three factions. It has some flaws, such as limited variation in backgrounds and constant reuse of music and certain CG frames, but the costume design is gorgeous and production values are quite high in general. It also tends to use colloquial speech in dialogue often, which aids in understanding the plot and character motivations, but can occasionally throw you out of immersion for a bit.

Personally, I would definitely recommend watching TK2010, as I think its improvements in characterization and plot far outweigh its occasional aesthetic limitations.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Cao Chao » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:09 pm

There are some (including myself) who aren't particularly fans of the new series due to some horrible miscasts and also to the simple fact that higher production values does not equate with better storytelling, though granted the old series had multiple actors playing the same characters and the same actor playing multiple characters. There are parts of the new series that I like, but there are far more that I dislike. This dislike is far less pronounced with the older version.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby XuSheng » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:02 am

The 2010 serie win IMO only because of Cao Cao. He was perfect.
I like to kill people in my dreams, so when I fall asleep be sure not to come too close.
XuSheng
Assistant

Unread postby Erdrick » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:57 am

2010, no contest. Setting aside the better production values, it simply feels more like a series. The 1994 is fitting a square peg into a round hole, and feels like it- books =/= series(movies). You need to adjust them a bit. The 2010 takes the story we know, is faithful to it, but gives the characters much more of a feel of being people instead of puppets.

They both are enjoyable, and both have their faults, but for enjoyment and which I would recommend, its all about the 2010 one, (though if you are working on a book report, 1994 rocks =p )
Between Mysidian Moments and MizuSoft, I have little time for MeeSelf...
Erdrick
Sage

Unread postby Vinesoi11 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:18 am

Ah! The old one for sure. I still love to watch shows from that year. Do you remember full house? It was such a sweet series. I still watch it on Netflix at times. I even found shows by Andy Yeatman that are new series but are as amazing as the old ones.
Vinesoi11
Tyro

Unread postby greencactaur » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:23 pm

I have a bias for the 94 version and it is my preferred version to watch. That being said the 2010 series has amazing audio quality. I honestly say don't sit out on either both are really great.
greencactaur
Master

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium