Map of Han/Three Kingdoms China?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Map of Han/Three Kingdoms China?

Unread postby Jolt » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:09 pm

DragonAtma wrote:Aha! A while back I started doing work on something similar, but I could only find reasonable borders for about half the provinces (You, Ji, Qing, Xu, Yan, Yang, and Sili).

You missed a label in Ji -- the one under the J of Ji is Julu commandery -- but still, this is a very useful map!

http://i.imgur.com/FbRwxMf.jpg
Added the missing commandery and a bolder font.

And thank you for the praise, even though most of it wasn't my work. I do realize that this map is a massive jump in terms of map quality for the period, compared to what we had, hence why I was so eager to put it up. IMO, the Han control map is/will be even cooler.
Jolt
Master

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:21 pm

I'm looking forward to it.

I'd also be excited about a version with boundary markers for the Three Kingdoms, though I think I can figure that out on my own.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:43 am

I noticed that there are two different commanderies labeled as "Shu" in Yi Province. Is that right? I didn't think there was more than one of them, but I'm certainly not an expert in Yi Province geography and regional administration.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jolt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:19 pm

The Nothern Shu division is a commandery (蜀郡). The Southern one is a Vassal State (蜀郡屬國). Most probably the vassal state was mostly populated by Di.

Here's the story according to wiki:

In 122 A.D. the administrative division was created as a vassal State. Aproximately in 184 A.D. they turned Shu vassal State into Hanjia commandery (漢嘉). Aproximately in 188, Hanjia commandery was revoked and Shu vassal State reestablished. During the Three Kingdoms period, in the first year of Liu Bei's reign as Emperor (In 221), Shu vassal State was once again revoked and Hanjia commandery established. During Western Jin's Yongjia's Era (307 - 313), the whole commandery was abandoned (Possibly after the fall of Luoyang and Western Jin).
Jolt
Master

Unread postby capnnerefir » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:07 pm

Ah, I see. I think I liked it better as Hanjia. ;)

Thanks for clarifying.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:34 am

I'm trying to make sure I know exactly where these places are. I'm writing a book about Sima Shi, so I need to make sure I know the major locations that came into play during Guanqiu Jian's rebellion. Unfortunately, I don't know the characters for any of these places. They should all be in northern Yang, though.

Xiang: Where Guanqiu Jian made his headquarters
Shouchun: Guanqiu Jian's original HQ; subsequently occupied by Zhuge Dan
Nandun: Occupied by Wang Ji's forces
Qiao: Occupied by Hu Zen's forces
Song: Also occupied by Hu Zen's forces
Ruyang: Sima Shi's HQ
Luojia: Where Deng Ai and Sima Shi defeated Wen Qin and broke the rebel forces

I expect that Shouchun, Qiao, Song, Ruyang, and Luojia will pretty much surround Xiang, but I'd like to make sure that I know what I'm talking about.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jolt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:37 am

Bigger image

Brown is Ruyang (汝陽)
Red is Nandun (南頓)
EDIT: Green is Luojia/Yuejia (樂嘉)
Blue is Xiang (項)
Black is Song (宋)
Yellow is Qiao (譙)
Orange is Shouchun (壽春)
Last edited by Jolt on Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jolt
Master

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:03 am

Thank you. This is extremely helpful. Bit of a shame that Luojia/Yuejia/Lejia isn't on the map, but I can make due. I was evidently a bit confused about where some of these places were in relation to each other, so it's good to have that cleared up. Thanks a bunch.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jolt » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:15 pm

capnnerefir wrote:Thank you. This is extremely helpful. Bit of a shame that Luojia/Yuejia/Lejia isn't on the map, but I can make due. I was evidently a bit confused about where some of these places were in relation to each other, so it's good to have that cleared up. Thanks a bunch.

D'oh! So silly me. Look right up north from Nandun. There's Luojia.

EDIT: With every location found, it appears that most of the battles took place in and around Ying River.
EDIT 2: Just editted map to show new Luojia. Now off to the beach! :)
Jolt
Master

Unread postby capnnerefir » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Thanks for the update. This makes a lot of things very clear, like why Wang Ji was so keen on occupying Nandun (and why Shi thought he should maybe hold off) and how Shi was able to get his army secretly to Luojia/Yuejia and reinforce Deng Ai. And why Sun Jun thought he could take this opportunity to grab Shouchun.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium