Map of Han/Three Kingdoms China?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Map of Han/Three Kingdoms China?

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:39 am

Here you go.

I'd put the image here, but even in the day of 1920x1080 they don't allow images wider than 1024 pixels (this image is 1056x816). In any case, the Three Kingdoms period had land in two places they don't currently have land: Korea and Vietnam.

And I probably mentioned it before, but sizes are deceiving; the eastern half or so of Wei has about 2/3 of china's people.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby greencactaur » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:42 am

Thanks Dragon :D. Would it be off topic if I asked what time periods China gained that additional land? o.o
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Fornadan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:39 am

greencactaur wrote:Thanks Dragon :D. Would it be off topic if I asked what time periods China gained that additional land? o.o

Most of it are territories conquered by the Manchus

The limits of the Ming empire were not all that different from the Han:

Note though that there has not been a continuous Chinese occupation of Yunnan since Han times. Following the collapse of the Liang empire in the 550s the area was ruled by various native states until the Mongols conquered the area in 1253
Translations from the Book of Jin: http://bookofjin.tumblr.com/index
Fornadan
Assistant

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm

China over the years, in gif form:

Yes, I realize that it neglects the Xia and Shang periods, but those are over a thousand years before even the three kingdoms period.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby greencactaur » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:22 am

Wow thats a really good map, thanks everyone. That gif is also very spectacular! :D
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:11 pm

I found this map:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... %9C%96.svg

It calls Wei's part of Jingzhou "Yingzhou" in brackets. Does anyone have info on when it was called like that?
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jia Shengde » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:36 pm

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:I found this map:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... %9C%96.svg

It calls Wei's part of Jingzhou "Yingzhou" in brackets. Does anyone have info on when it was called like that?

I could only find this: http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14567&start=30
(fifth month of 222)
''Dreary, dank, and dimly lit. Truly a sanctuary to call home.''
Jia Shengde
Initiate

Unread postby capnnerefir » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:31 am

Yingzhou was a brief experiment by Wei. In July of 222, Cao Pi decreed that the commanderies south of the Yangzi would remain Jingzhou, while those north of the river would be Yingzhou. He abolished this decision in November of that same year.

So that map would represent a very narrow span of time, from July-November of 222.
capnnerefir
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheNewTeddy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Jolt wrote:And thus, it is (Mostly) complete! :D

And as sneakpeaks, here you go, the Riverland's heart.

And Jiangdong, where you can more or less track Sun Ce's initial progress in his campaign there.

Hello. I've registered just to ask what happened to this map?
TheNewTeddy
Tyro

Unread postby Jolt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Hey TheNewTeddy, welcome to the forum!

I still have the map here. Since then, me and Fornadan worked on the zoomed maps, which while not as all-encompassing, were a bit less cluttered and more informative. Regardless, since working on the zoomed maps, I noticed that I missed naming a few settlements here and there, and that still needs correcting.

Eventually I got busy with other things in my life and by and large stopped working on it. Fornadan has done quite a bit with the zoomed maps, including putting the commandery and province borders alongside names of settlements which only became reknowed in the Three Kingdoms era, rather than the Late Han.

If you're asking about the commercialization/publication of it, we just never got around to it.

It's obvious that the Atlas is quite a nice piece of work. I never went through the hoops needed to test print it, see what problems derive from being in physical form, find a company to produce the maps at a competitive cost, and then see the costs of bulk purchasing vs retail selling.

As for plain publicizing it, me and Fornadan never got to discussing that either. I know that Fornadan had a website where he planned to release the zoomed in maps, but then I dropped the ball, so I don't know how that progressed.

Ultimately, both of us did and do this as a side-hobby, so it was natural that some things just got stuck in limbo. I'm still of the opinion in trying to comercialize the main Atlas (after completing what is missing) and publicizing the zoomed maps, but all this requires that (at least for the maps where we both had a contribution, and every single map I worked on was based on his previous QGIS work) we both figuratively sit down and decide on what to do. For the maps that Fornadan did that had little contribution of mine besides the original translations, I of course defer entirely to him the decision on what to do with the maps.

From my part, right now I don't have the availability of going through the mentioned hoops to see if the main Atlas is minimally print-worthy, but I expect that in the coming months, I may be able to sort that out.
Jolt
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium