Wu's destiny

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Wu's destiny

Unread postby solemio » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:59 pm

I think Wu's fall is doomed upon the death of Sun Ce and accelerated by the death of Zhou Yu.
Sun Quan was no good commander and lacked the strategies, although he was marvelous at politics. He lost Wan, which was conquered by Sun Ce and Zhou Yu, to Cao Cao and was never able to set foot on Hefei. The victory of Shiting could be greater, if he could be bolder. And of course, he gave up Jing to Liu Bei instead of following Zhou Yu's strategy of conquering the west.
In a word, he can defend, but not attack. However, in the time of wars, the best defense is to attack. This is especially true when your enemy is stronger than you.
You bloomed like a burning rose and exhausted my heart, which hence can bear nothing but weeds.
solemio
Tyro

Re: Wu's destiny

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:35 am

Shiting seems like a master class to me.
And of course, he gave up Jing to Liu Bei instead of following Zhou Yu's strategy of conquering the west.

Zhou Yu's successor was rather less confident in the plan and didn't feel he could pull it off so no point going ahead.

I don't think Wu was doomed by Sun Quan not being a good offensive commander. Wu greatly expanded, became richer, changed history and until he went senile, was strongly placed to take advantage if Wei ever began to crumble. None of Wu's very talented commanders were able to make headway in an offensive capacity partly due to the nature of the warfare and how strong Wei was
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium