Top 5 Generals of Sun Quan

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Top 5 Generals of Sun Quan

Unread postby Sima Yi 77 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:24 am

Here we go again last faction to do the Top 5 Generals of Sun Quan. This should be interesting since there really isn't allot of focus on there 5 like Shu and Wei in general on sites that, I have seen. Please ry and stick with historical facts. Thanks!
Sima Yi 77
Apprentice

Re: Top 5 Generals of Sun Quan

Unread postby rcsha » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:07 am

This one's a little harder to do, I think, because Wu has had the most varied officer roster of the three. Shu was only 'Shu' once Liu Bei took the Bashu area, really. Cao Cao had a pretty centralized corps of officers once he took over the capital region. But Wu's entire officer roster was split by a generation.

As far as pure generalship goes, I think I'd have to go with this group for the start-up. Keep in mind they're not in order of greatness, just numbered to show I only had five.

-Early Times-
1. Cheng Pu
2. Huang Gai
3. Han Dang
4. Zhou Yu
5. Taishi Ci

But getting into the Wei-Wu-Shu times you start to look at drastic changes. Cheng Pu became more of a civil officer in his old age; same with Huang Gai who gave up command to the younger troops after Chibi for the most part. Han Dang was always dependable, but when put up against the likes of Gan Ning, Lu Meng, and Lu Xun it's hard to keep him on the list. Taishi Ci's dead, so he's off the list; same with Zhou Yu, he dies before the 3 kingdoms become centralized.

I think I might go with this list for the later years of Wu...
1. Xu Sheng
2. Lu Meng
3. Lu Xun
4. Gan Ning
5. Ling Tong, maybe Ding Feng?

Hmm... :?
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:25 am

Xu Sheng in?

No He Qi? Granted he wasn't involved in the main conflicts, but the guy consistently expanded Wu's borders in the south. It's like Sun Ce handed him the keys for the weekend and said, "Don't scratch my Porsche."
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby XuSheng » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:50 am

1. Lu Meng (Don't think I have to explain why he is THAT awesome and one of the greatest officer of the time)

2. Gan Ning ( yes he is a sadistic person but he is a pretty good officer and has many victory to his record)

3. Lu Xun (Keeping Wu alive after Lu Meng death and he destroyed Liu Bei + he repulsed all of Cao Pi attack on Wu after Yi Ling)

4. Ding Feng (Maybe I am biased because I extremely love him, correct me if I am wrong but he fought for Wu for so many years and he was the last great officer with Lu Kang after Lu Xun and Zhu Ran death. And his raid with 3000 no armored Wu soldier was pretty epic.)

5. Zhu Ran-Ling Tong-He Qi (I just don't know who i think is the best between those three. He Qi destroyed the south bandit and he repelled Cao Pi invasion of Wu after Yi Ling. Ling Tong kept Sun Quand alive at He Fei and he beat Xu Huang and Cao Ren. Zhu Ran replaced Lu Xun has the chief commander of the army after Lu Xun death and he achieved victory at Yi Ling and at JiangLing.)

Has much has i love Xu Sheng, i don't think he fit there. He is an awesome warrior but he achieved only one victory has a commander and it was by building a fake wall. It is awesome, but i just don't think he is top 5.
I like to kill people in my dreams, so when I fall asleep be sure not to come too close.
XuSheng
Assistant

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:04 am

Zhou Yu
Lu Meng
Lu Xun
Ding Feng
Gan Ning

I love Lu Su to death, but I assume when you say general you have to take into account battles etc. And for that Lu Su isn't as accomplished.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Yi 77 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:12 am

Lu Su is great but yes mongoose he accomplished virtualy nothing as a General. I am confused on your pick Ding Feng wasnt he only a captain rank under Gan Ning? What did he do under Sun Quan as a General, I thought he didnt rise to such a rank till with Sun Liang?
Sima Yi 77
Apprentice

Unread postby Sima Yi 77 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:19 am

[quote][/quote]-Early Times-
1. Cheng Pu
2. Huang Gai
3. Han Dang
4. Zhou Yu
5. Taishi Ci

Tasishi Ci yes, I would agree with this only if we were doing Sun Ce's top 5 this man died in 206 and nothing great was recorded of him for 6 years under Sun Quan.
Sima Yi 77
Apprentice

Unread postby Sima Yi 77 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:29 am

My picks there is so many good choices with Wu.

1. Ling Tong
2. Zhu Ran
3. Lu Meng
4. Lu Xun
5. Zhou Yu

I really like He Qi he should have been given the General title " General who squashes all those who rebel" This guy was a death sentence to all rebels his track record for defeating rebels/or rebellions is astonishing.

Another great one is Gan Ning served under various warlords then had a great career with Sun Quan earning titles and fame. A truly brave General who took small numbered forces to achieve success on a few occassions.
Sima Yi 77
Apprentice

Unread postby Yang Dayang » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:05 am

Wu's officers usually share a lot of credits, no one stands out the most except for few.. so this was very hard for me to choose..

My picks:
Lu Meng
Lu Xun
Zhu Ran
Ding Feng
Gan Ning

Honorable mentions: Xu Sheng, Lu Kang, Zhu Huan and Ling Tong.
Yang Dayang
Changshi

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:49 am

Sima Yi 77 wrote:Lu Su is great but yes mongoose he accomplished virtualy nothing as a General. I am confused on your pick Ding Feng wasnt he only a captain rank under Gan Ning? What did he do under Sun Quan as a General, I thought he didnt rise to such a rank till with Sun Liang?

Oh wait, it HAS to be whilst they're under Sun Quan? That changes things. (I always liked Ding Feng for few other reason than the fact that my last name is also Ding. Clan loyalties and all.)
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium