Cao Cao's Top 5 Generals Poll

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Cao Cao's Top 5 Generals Poll

Unread postby AsianReign » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:17 am

Dian Wei and Xu Chu, two really powerful and honorable general, especially Dian Wei.
AsianReign
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:30 pm

AsianReign wrote:Dian Wei and Xu Chu, two really powerful and honorable general, especially Dian Wei.

That's two, though many would argue they are warriors rather then generals, who are the other 3 in your list?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby AsianReign » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 am

Oh hai, lol
Xu Huang because this guy is one of the smarter generals
Zhang Liao because of his battles against Sun Quan and for being a good general overall
Cao Ren because he's been with Cao Cao since the beginning

I would really wanna pick Cao Hong but he would be my 6th. Didn't he save Cao Cao from Mao Chao or was that fictional?
AsianReign
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:33 am

Fictional though he did save Cao Cao from Xu Rong
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:55 pm

My list is as follows:

#1: Xu Huang
The man had a long and illustrious career under Cao Cao. There are very few, if any instances of him losing in combat and often taking on larger armies and winning. He was also clever and disciplined.

#2: Zhang He
Another smart and capable general, Zhang He performed admirably as a general after joining Cao Cao.

#3: Cao Zhen
His time as a general may have been short, but it was impressive nonetheless.

#4: Yu Jin
Though his career ended with one failure, Yu Jin's career to that point was very impressive, and he repeatedly proved himself to be dependable and skilled.

#5: Xiahou Yuan
A very solid, dependable and all-around good general.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm surprised that Zhang Liao isn't in your list Qu Hui, I thought he was one of your favourite generals. I personally would agree with the five Wei list. I would consider Cao Ren but his record is hard to judge.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby XuSheng » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:37 am

Im happy to see that Xu Huang is now more recognized by people. I remember when Zhang Liao was seen as the best general under Cao Cao and Xu huang was not even close to reach him.

Go XU HUANG ! :D
I like to kill people in my dreams, so when I fall asleep be sure not to come too close.
XuSheng
Assistant

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:56 am

Zhang Liao
Xu Huang
Zhang He
Cao Ren
Cao Zhen/Yue Jin/Guo Huai

I can't say whether Cao Zhen should be so high actually. He was a capable commander, but his deeds as a general aren't as well known. He was a good commander like Zhou Yu was a good commander. Both men fostered and environment in which good ideas and tactics could flourish but as individual talents, go as generals rather than commanders, neither had really exceptional moments, aside for a few that Zhou Yu can claim.

In comparison Cao Xiu proved to be far more capable as a general than Cao Zhen but his skills as a commander were far inferior. Guo Huai was like a mix of Cao Zhen and Cao Xiu, and his record is long and distinguished.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ROTKobsessed » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:32 am

I would keep the top 3: Zhang Liao, Xu Huang and Zhang He who were standout generals and also had good intelligence for a warrior.

i'd swap Yu Jin because he lost to Ma Chao and then Guan Yu almost straight after he stopped having to be a farmer (his punishment for losing to Ma) and took advice from Pang Tong to chain the ships together - though i'm not sure if that's fictional - with Cao Ren who defended admirably against Guan Yu and tricked and poisoned Zhou Yu

then Yue Jin would be replaced with maybe Xiahou Yuan, who was shown to be brave and have valor (which LGZ listed as the reason Yu & Yue's reasons for being in the top 5) and also was an experienced commander - although I found it hardest to pick the 5th

I didn't consider Xu Chu because he was more of a warrior than a general and Dian Wei because other than saving Cao Cao he had no long term influence in Wei
'Never was anything great achieved without danger.' - Niccolo Machiavelli
ROTKobsessed
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:40 am

i'd swap Yu Jin because he lost to Ma Chao and then Guan Yu almost straight after he stopped having to be a farmer (his punishment for losing to Ma) and took advice from Pang Tong to chain the ships together - though i'm not sure if that's fictional - with Cao Ren who defended admirably against Guan Yu and tricked and poisoned Zhou Yu

Historically Cao Cao chained the ships together on his own initiative. Farmer?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium