Cao Cao's Top 5 Generals Poll

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Cao's Top 5 Generals Poll

Unread postby Sima Yi 77 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:35 am

I want to make a poll of the top 5 general staff of Cao Cao and get to see what everyone picks as the top 5. I do not agree with Chen Shou's top 5 pick and want people to explain why they choose there five? I will give my 5 and with explanations. I think this will be fun :D
Sima Yi 77
Apprentice

Re: Cao Cao's Top 5 Generals Poll

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:05 am

If we're going off of history, people like Yue Jin, Yu Jin, and Xu Huang had pretty solid careers. Cao Chun was fairly prolific. Zhang He did rather well too. Cao Zhen. Zhang Liao did some key stuff that gets overshadowed.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:17 am

I generally agree with the five Wei elite being the best Cao Cao had. The only other guy that i can think of that was possibly as good (in Wei) was Cao Ren. Presumably because he was Cao Cao's relative, he was excluded. Cao Ren's a bit of enigma though. I find him difficult to rate and there's some contradiction in one of his key battles.

Cao Chun, all i know about him is that he was part of the cavalry that chased after and beat Liu Bei at Changban. He then kidnapped Liu Bei's daughters. What he did he do of note?
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Yi 77 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Yes forgot to say Historical figures...
Sima Yi 77
Apprentice

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:25 pm

I'd probably go with Chen Shou's five but replace Yu Jin with Cao Ren.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Elitemsh wrote:Cao Chun, all i know about him is that he was part of the cavalry that chased after and beat Liu Bei at Changban. He then kidnapped Liu Bei's daughters. What he did he do of note?

He has a bio here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21323&hilit=lost+biographies#p532573

I more or less agree with Chen Shou's list. Cao Ren is the one person I'd consider swapping in, but in the end I think I'd stick with Yu Jin.
Last edited by Gray Riders on Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rydain » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Elitemsh wrote:I generally agree with the five Wei elite being the best Cao Cao had. The only other guy that i can think of that was possibly as good (in Wei) was Cao Ren. Presumably because he was Cao Cao's relative, he was excluded. Cao Ren's a bit of enigma though. I find him difficult to rate and there's some contradiction in one of his key battles.

Cao Chun, all i know about him is that he was part of the cavalry that chased after and beat Liu Bei at Changban. He then kidnapped Liu Bei's daughters. What he did he do of note?

Chen Shou's Wei Five excluded Cao/Xiahou family because the clansmen were listed together on a different scroll of the Sanguozhi.

Cao Chun was a commander of elite cavalry with a distinguished but short record. He had a leading role in Yuan Tan's defeat in 205, and he took part in the 207 campaign that defeated the Wuhuan at White Wolf Mountain. Both of these were notable achievements. Unfortunately, Chun died in 210 without any chance to match the lengthy service and larger scale feats of Wei's heaviest hitters. Comparatively speaking, the brevity of his record keeps him out of Top Five consideration.

Cao Ren was one of the best, but I can't say which of the traditional Wei Five I would replace him with. Apart from familiarity with Zhang Liao and Xu Huang - both of whom I'd probably keep - I haven't studied them quite as much. I'd be curious to hear some discussion on Xiahou Yuan. I know he took a bunch of territory for Wei, but I don't know his record in enough detail for an exhaustive analysis or comparison with others.
Rydain
Assistant

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:56 pm

My personal preference, as I mentioned in another thread around here, is Xu Huang being the best of the five elite generals of Wei; followed by Zhang Liao and Zhang He. Seeing that I have become enamored with Yue Jin for his prowess as Cao Cao's best van general, I'd have to keep him as one of the top five generals.

I've never really been too high on Yu Jin and would replace him with Cao Ren, who I believe was good enough to be maybe Cao Cao's fourth best general.

Xu Huang
Zhang Liao
Zhang He
Cao Ren Yue Jin

I could probably throw in someone like Yu Jin but, Zhu Ling was seen by many as being comparable to Xu Huang. He didn't get to do much under Cao Cao, however.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sima Yi 77 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:57 am

Rydain wrote:
Elitemsh wrote:I generally agree with the five Wei elite being the best Cao Cao had. The only other guy
Cao Ren was one of the best, but I can't say which of the traditional Wei Five I would replace him with. Apart from familiarity with Zhang Liao and Xu Huang - both of whom I'd probably keep - I haven't studied them quite as much. I'd be curious to hear some discussion on Xiahou Yuan. I know he took a bunch of territory for Wei, but I don't know his record in enough detail for an exhaustive analysis or comparison with others.

The problem with Xiahou Yuan though he served for a number of years as mainly a supplier and logistics for Cao Cao and his campaigns. About 213 after Battle of Jiangling did Xiahou Yuan get more responsibility and field commands such as battle with Ma Chao only after a long fight did Zhang He come out with the victory agaisnt Ma Chao at Mount Qi. He did get victorys against smaller warlords such as Han Sui and Song Jian thus making the tribes of Qiang and Di subjects of Cao Cao. By 216 in command of Cao Cao's defense at Yangping Pass were Xiahou was routed and killed in battle. It shows that this man was a capable Logistics officer but not a field general when he faced a well rounded army resulted in his demise.
Sima Yi 77
Apprentice

Unread postby Korin » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:09 am

a little off-topic but...

Cao Ren has a big rule in Three Kingdoms (2010) series being Cao Cao's right-hand-man basically if u pay attention to the show :D
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium