Pan Feng

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:38 am

And I bet he was racist too.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:44 am

Wait wait, on a serious note, does anybody remember that dude who years ago had a huge argument with the rest of the forum because he believed Guan Suo or some other fictional Shu character from ROTK MUST HAVE EXISTED and although we said that there was not a single historical record to prove that he existed, he got angry and claimed that "why would he be in a story if he didn't exist" and that "there is no evidence to suggest he doesn't exist".

I wonder what that guy would have thought of Pang Feng.
Last edited by Crazedmongoose on Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:54 am

You meant this thread?

BTW I think what you wanted to say should be Guan Suo instead of Guan Yi. 8-)
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:16 am

I remember him. Who knows, maybe he would've said that the accounts of Sun Jian killing Hua Xiong were Wuist propaganda and that Pan Feng really did succeed in killing Hua at Sishui in a battle that could've totally happened, despite the lack of any historical evidence. Maybe Pan Feng was killed in an attempt to weaken Han Fu, or perhaps he put on a skirt and proceeded to seduce Lu Bu and Dong Zhuo with his heavenly falsetto. After all, how do we really know that things like universally-accepted historical records and contemporary accounts could be true? Huh?!
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:51 am

Pan Feng gets a bad rep in history. It's completely unfair. He probably lost to Hua Xiong because the sun was in his eyes. Han Fu was confident in his prowess in the novel and the novel is loosely based on history so Pan Feng probably killed legions of Yellow Turbans singlehandedly to deserve that prowess. He probably fought 100s of duels with famous officers and won all of them and only lost against Hua Xiong because he was getting old or some other valid reason.

Pan Feng is clearly a true hero. His many meritorious deeds are just as great as Guan Suo's historical feats. :lol:
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:33 pm

Can you find a single historical source emphatically stating that Pang Feng didn't in fact single handedly beat Hua Xiong?

Check.Mate.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Crazedmongoose wrote:Wait wait, on a serious note, does anybody remember that dude who years ago had a huge argument with the rest of the forum because he believed Guan Suo or some other fictional Shu character from ROTK MUST HAVE EXISTED and although we said that there was not a single historical record to prove that he existed, he got angry and claimed that "why would he be in a story if he didn't exist" and that "there is no evidence to suggest he doesn't exist".

I wonder what that guy would have thought of Pang Feng.

I'm pretty sure I've seen that more than once, actually.

Can you find a single historical source emphatically stating that Pang Feng didn't in fact single handedly beat Hua Xiong?

Check.Mate.

Exactly. The government didn't want a hero like Pan Feng being known, but they didn't entirely erase him from history...

...they just split his accomplishments between two people!

He supposedly died in 190 or so, right? But think carefully; why would someone as great as him want to stay with Han Fu, who was going nowhere fast? Why not hitch his wagon to a real star after faking his death? I'm 99% sure Pan Feng beat Hua Xiong until he cried, then escaped. When Hua Xiong opened his tear-stained eyes he saw Pan Feng was gone, and assumed he'd actually won the fight and announced his victory. In truth Pan Feng was going off until someone worth serving made themselves known.

Now, what great warrior do we know who was NOT mentioned to be fighting against Dong Zhuo's army and later joined up with who became the most powerful leader of the era?
Xu Chu.

Xu Chu never historically met defeat as a warrior, and he killed ten thousand enemies in battle with no reason to think he used soldiers. Furthermore, the novel never mentioned him at Hulao gate or at Sishui gate, and if BOTH sources agree, what else can we say except that Xu Chu and Pan Feng are the same person.

I rest my case.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Hmm, it's possible, but he participated in the fight against Yuan Shao. Don't you think Shao would have recognized him? Also, I'd think Cao Cao and Ma Teng/Ma Chao would have had some recognition of him if he was so famous.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:15 pm

I think most of these guys are joking and yes, I'm prepared to be jokingly criticized for misunderstanding Pan Feng's talents for saying that.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:44 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Now, what great warrior do we know who was NOT mentioned to be fighting against Dong Zhuo's army and later joined up with who became the most powerful leader of the era?
Xu Chu.

Xu Chu never historically met defeat as a warrior, and he killed ten thousand enemies in battle with no reason to think he used soldiers. Furthermore, the novel never mentioned him at Hulao gate or at Sishui gate, and if BOTH sources agree, what else can we say except that Xu Chu and Pan Feng are the same person.

I rest my case.

No, it's perfect! Pan Feng disappears from history just as Xu Chu starts to appear. Maybe...just maybe, if Pan Feng fell off his horse right after making Hua Xiong cry and contracted amnesia...and then-wait, guys! And then he woke up, and like, he didn't know who he was, and then he got depressed because he didn't know his true identity and started eating boxes of baozi out of emotional distress...'til he realized that he didn't need an identity. He would create his own. He would now be Xu Chu, the "Crazy Tiger" of wherever Xu Chu was born. Never could lose that weight though.

Now that's f---kin' scholarship! Where's my doctorate?
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium