Pan Feng

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Pan Feng

Unread postby Ah-Man » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:49 am

Whats this Pan Feng meme going on around the interwebs? I noticed that Shen Ai has it on his signature too.
Ah-Man
Academic

Re: Three Kingdoms Questions (You Ask, We Answer)

Unread postby TigerTally » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:43 am

As you may know, Pan Feng himself had only appeared for a very time in chapter 5 of ROTK:

Then Imperial Protector Han Fu said, "I have a brave warrior among my army. Pan Feng is his name, and he could slay this Hua Xiong." So Pan Feng was ordered out to meet the foe. With his great battle-ax in his hand, Pan Feng mounted and rode forth. But soon came the direful tidings that General Pan Feng too had fallen. The faces of the gathering paled at this.

Oddly enough, the English Wikipedia entry of Pan Feng features a brief explanation to his internet meme that is absent in its Chinese counterpart:

Pan Feng is the subject of a popular Chinese internet meme involving the line "I've a brave warrior in my army. Pan Feng is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong." This meme is a cultural phenomenon and has led to a surge in Pan's popularity to rival the more well known figures of the Three Kingdoms period. This popularity has been attributed to various causes, such as desire to poke fun at traditions as a novelty, to feelings of helplessness and lack of individual recognition in Chinese society. It has spawned multiple fake biographies detailing the supposed exploits of Pan Feng that were supposedly too great to be mentioned officially.

Besides the serious reasons listed above, the Pan Feng phenomenon is also an expression of the"egao", or "kuso" culture in China. In most cases, Pan Feng was described either as a superb warrior who was out of his luck when facing Hua Xiong and therefore got killed or as a loyal general who followed the lord's unreasonable order to confront Hua Xiong despite knowing himself unsuitable for the task. He is even given the style name Wushuang, the Chinese characters of Musou (somewhat inferring the popular culture origins behind the meme).

Overall it is a , to put in one word, JOKE.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:26 pm

I am about 99% sure that Pan Feng could have destroyed Dong Zhuo by himself :D :D
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:49 am

Dong Zhuo may not have been hard to kill, seeing as how he was old and lethargic by then, but I doubt Pan Feng could have gotten past Lü Bu if he fell to Hua Xiong (a civil officer who fell to Guan Yu in one pass, while it took all three brothers to fend off Lü Bu).
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:23 am

You fool, you do not know of Pan Feng's greatness.

My favourite Pan Feng story involves the one where he defeated all five Tiger Generals in a melee and then Zhuge Liang jumped on a horse and revealed hitherto unknown combat abilities with his fan against Pan Feng.

There are plenty of other Pan Feng stories. Many involving how Guan Yu stole his kill, others involving how Yuan Shao had a ploy to give Pan Feng a bad horse or a bad weapon hence causing his loss (because Yuan Shao wanted to get rid of Pan Feng as he knew he'd have to face Han Fu eventually).

I think Ravages of Time even gave a slight nod to this meme, as Pan Feng was only killed in there because his horse failed.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:26 am

I heard Pan Feng was on the grassy knoll.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:43 am

Pang Feng shot Mr. Burns
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:50 am

Pan Feng killed hip-hop.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:59 am

I thought he created internet.
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:07 am

Consider the following facts about Pang Feng's duel with Hua Xiong:

* Pang Feng was said to be the best general in the Ji Province, the third largest province in China. How could he rightly lose to some no name officer from the tiny far off Liang province?

* Pang Feng was the greatest obstacle to Yuan Shao's rise for power. Yet who commanded the alliance? Yuan Shao. Who provided the supplies? Yuan Shu, Yuan Shao's half-brother. And after Pang Feng died who had the most to lose? Han Fu, Yuan Shao's enemy. COINCIDENCE?

* If you put Pang Feng's name up to a mirror, and then write what you see on a paper, and then put that paper up to another mirror, and then write that down, what does that say? PANG FENG WHICH IS HIS NAME!

* The melting temperature of steel is clearly too high for the temperature which airplane fuel combusts at

WAKE UP SHEEPLES! BUSH AND HIS PUPPET MASTER CHENEY KILLED PANG FENG.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium