Guan Yun Chang (Film) 關雲長 (電影)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guan Yun Chang (Film) 關雲長 (電影)

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:54 pm

Firstly let me apologise profusely if this has already been raised as a topic.. I've searched and come up with nothing.

Did anyone watch this film?

I watched it about a week ago, and I found it, (personally) average at best.

The topic of the film is the period when Guan Yu is "captured" by Cao Cao and he has to make his escape. The reason I found it *not so great* was that it's a mixture of all kinds of stuff, which neither actually tells the SGYY story, nor is it "closer" to history.

There are some pretty great fight scenes in it, but, I'm personally a bit bored with the "Cao Cao's a lovely guy" story line which seems to be flavour of the month when it comes to anything SGYY/ SGZ related these days (not that I don't mind if they want to tell a story in a more historically accurate fashion), but they
had Guan Yu rushing through the gates and killing his path through, (SGYY) then some added in side story about him actually loving one of Liu Bei's wives, (BS), then they had Cao Cao as a hero, having fought with Dong Zhuo and finally got power, reforming the whole of the central plains, and then Yuan Shao and Liu Bei turn up (another couple of a**holes) to ruin things! When it ends, and this is the bit that really gets up my nose.. Cao Cao suggests that it was Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang who are responsible for Guan Yu's death.. cos, of course.. EVERYONE should love Cao Cao and work for him!!

I feel like if a film maker is going to come up with a story, why not make a TOTALLY fictional story and tell it that way around, rather than taking fact, fiction, made up stuff, add this add that and use SGYY/ SGZ characters to fill the roles?

Whine over. ;)
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Re: Guan Yun Chang (Film) 關雲長 (電影)

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:57 pm

A few of the members here have already ranted over it. :lol:

The Lost Bladesman

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:39 am

And I'll add, Cao Cao has been the villian of the period for centuries, I'm glad he's getting a makeover in current Three Kingdoms media.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhao Yun '87 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm sure everyone has seen the ChiBi film, but Cao Cao isn't a lovely guy in it.

This discussion reminded me of Chi Bi because the filmmakers declared they wanted to be closer to history than the novel, then they went and did it just as fictional, just with their own made up stories instead of the novel's.
The problem was I was on fire.
Zhao Yun '87
Master

Unread postby Elitemsh » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Shi Tong wrote:Firstly let me apologise profusely if this has already been raised as a topic.. I've searched and come up with nothing.

Did anyone watch this film?

I watched it about a week ago, and I found it, (personally) average at best.

The topic of the film is the period when Guan Yu is "captured" by Cao Cao and he has to make his escape. The reason I found it *not so great* was that it's a mixture of all kinds of stuff, which neither actually tells the SGYY story, nor is it "closer" to history.

There are some pretty great fight scenes in it, but, I'm personally a bit bored with the "Cao Cao's a lovely guy" story line which seems to be flavour of the month when it comes to anything SGYY/ SGZ related these days (not that I don't mind if they want to tell a story in a more historically accurate fashion), but they
had Guan Yu rushing through the gates and killing his path through, (SGYY) then some added in side story about him actually loving one of Liu Bei's wives, (BS), then they had Cao Cao as a hero, having fought with Dong Zhuo and finally got power, reforming the whole of the central plains, and then Yuan Shao and Liu Bei turn up (another couple of a**holes) to ruin things! When it ends, and this is the bit that really gets up my nose.. Cao Cao suggests that it was Liu Bei and Zhuge Liang who are responsible for Guan Yu's death.. cos, of course.. EVERYONE should love Cao Cao and work for him!!

I feel like if a film maker is going to come up with a story, why not make a TOTALLY fictional story and tell it that way around, rather than taking fact, fiction, made up stuff, add this add that and use SGYY/ SGZ characters to fill the roles?

Whine over. ;)

I haven’t watched the film but when it comes to Cao Cao I do see where you’re coming from. Most people are very pro Cao Cao nowadays. I myself am respectful towards Cao Cao and acknowledge his great abilities but I am still anti Cao. I am pro Liu Bei because he had the guts to challenge Cao Cao despite being at a disadvantage more often than not. Yes Liu Bei’s reasons were probably selfish but I don’t care. Sun Quan also opposed Cao Cao but he was in a stronger position at the time so I don’t respect it as much. I think it’s safe to say that my support of Liu Bei in preference to Cao Cao is a rarity in this forum. I find I’m indifferent towards Sun Quan.

Cao Cao did do some decent things in his life and was capable of kindness on occasion. Of course he was also capable of extreme brutality. Portraying him as a really decent guy is sort of fair I guess considering other representations are perhaps too negative, but I would prefer a balance.

Cao Cao was a great man but his kind acts (at least directly) were outweighed by his heinous ones in terms of scale. A good portrayal should point out his brilliance (in terms of his skill not his character) but also pay tribute to his despicable behaviour.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 pm

All warlords are capable of evil, even Liu Bei as you said. I prefer Cao Cao for the strength of his goal and his amazing abilities.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhao Yun '87 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:38 am

How is the strength of his goal any stronger than the other warlords?
Zhao Yun '87
Master

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:47 am

Zhao Yun '87 wrote:How is the strength of his goal any stronger than the other warlords?

He was ambitious enough o try to achieve unity. Liu Biao and Zhang Xiu sat there. Liu Zheng was a sitting duck, and Sun Quan really never focused on expanding Wu more of keeping it united until the time came for an attack. It never did actually.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhao Yun '87 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:32 pm

What about Yuan Shu, Yuan Shao, Liu Bei, and Lu Bu? Most others were wiped out too early to see how far they wanted to go.

As for Sun Quan I highly disagree. Wu attacked into Wei several times. Plus, there's that little thing in Jing province.
Zhao Yun '87
Master

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:05 pm

His attacks on Wei were nothing compared to the assaults Shu did. Sun Quan was ambitious but seemed to shrewd to attack like Zhuge Liang and Jiang Wei did. Yuan Shao was ambitious but he lacked the foresight needed to win. Lu Bu was wiling to sacrifice his own life to spare his men. Not really the decision of an ambitious man. Yuan Shu had high expectations but really, he was a tool.

Cao Cao isn't anymore ambitious than the ones you mentioned so you are right in that sense. But he was one of the few capable of making a change in China.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium