If Guan Yu was made a God, who else could be one?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

If Guan Yu was made a God, who else could be one?

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:21 pm

From a personal perspective, who is indeed worthy, in your eyes, of having such an extraordinary honour bestowed upon them as Guan Yu did?

Please refrain from pointing out Guan Yu's faults and shortcomings in this thread; like that hasn't been covered ad nauseum... :lol:

E.G: so-and-so is worthy of being the God/patron saint of * because of this-and-that...
Last edited by Mitsunari on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Re: Your 3K 'Deity'...

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Nobody.

Simply because I don't believe in worshipping men or women, for that matter, as idols. I have a problem with prostrating myself to people who are alive; therefore, I don't believe I would want to bow down to someone who is dead.

I don't believe any of those people are worth that much praise. The closest person would probably be Cao Cao for all the reasons one could think to worship another human being for and I still wouldn't deify him.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Being an atheist, I don't worship anyone, but if I was to choose someone, it would be Cao Cao or Zhao Yun. Guan Yu, maybe his beard, but not the person.
Zhao Yun, novel based seeing as to how he was portrayed as a perfect warrior and a modest one too.
Cao Cao historically as he had risen to prominence and been one of the few warlords to live a full life, and he had many major accomplishments during his life time.

This was because of the Guan Yu thread, isn't it?
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Nazne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:50 am

Depends entirely on the sense in which you use the word "deity".

If it's the idea of "believe to be beyond mortal comprehension and worthy of worship, praise, and admiration", then I really can't say anyone in the Three Kingdoms period fits that role. Many of them were heroes of a sort who happened to be born into an age where they could use their talents, but none of them accomplished anything that would be functionally impossible for a mere mortal. Although some aspects of their characters might be praiseworthy, they were still humans bound by the social and cultural norms of the time, many aspects of which I am leery about and wouldn't think worthy of worship.

If it's just the idea of admiring greatly the *concept* they stood for, then I think using the word "deity" would be a mistake. Furthermore, we'd have to venture strictly further into novel-verse to be able to have basic agreement about which character embodied which ideals and concepts, and at that point it becomes more a question of "which character do you like?"

And if it's just the question of "which character do you have the biggest crush on", where extreme romantic adoration becomes substituted for religious devotion, I take the fifth.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:01 am

probably you fellas in the west would less likely to do that.

its the cultural difference. many guys in China made temples for the 3K people to be worshiped. even Sun WuKong.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhao Yun '87 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:24 am

Fairly sure it wasn't that serious of a question guys haha.

Mine would be Zhao Yun. Big surprise from the name :P. Just for discipline, skill, courage, and loyalty.
The problem was I was on fire.
Zhao Yun '87
Master

Unread postby Nazne » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:41 am

Hyper90 wrote:probably you fellas in the west would less likely to do that.

its the cultural difference. many guys in China made temples for the 3K people to be worshiped. even Sun WuKong.

Sun Wukong isn't...3K at all, though <___< (also, he's just awesome. And legitimately godly. There's a reason.)

But I guess I will admit that my concept of deity is more western than eastern - a *lot* of people get raised to the level of deity in stories in traditional Chinese mythology, and sometimes all it takes is training for over 9000 years. I...don't recall seeing many stories like these about 3K characters, aside from Guan Yu, though? Most stories I recall reading revolve around RoTK's basic tropes and characterizations. I admit, it might be interesting to see some of the older traditional stories passed down about the Three Kingdoms period, especially ones that might vary from the "canon" that RoTK introduced.

and now I'm off topic, derp
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah taking this topic in the light hearted vein I'm sure was intended I'm going to say Zhao Yun.

(Yeah shock horror not Sun Ce...)
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:46 am

Well, i have a God and I don't believe in idols, but for the fun of it, none are really worth my praise, but Lu Bu as the god of being misunderstood? Maybe Cao Cao...

Zhou Yu was an okay guy, so maybe him on second thought.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:08 pm

If I were a peasant born in the 3k era, I reckon I would worship Cao Cao because he brought unity and stability in the north. His deeds had the greatest impact in the lands and he was wise as a ruler albeit harsh.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium