Zhou Yu the greatest all round strategist?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Zhou Yu the greatest all round strategist?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Mitsunari wrote:Again, I did mention Liu Bei earlier in the thread...

Actually mate I was the first person to put Liu Bei's name in to the ring. Just saying. :P

I'm not so sure the problem is pidgeon holing people more that they only showed their potential in one or 2 areas and didn't have the chance to show all round ability.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:17 am

i think their all round ability wasn't fully recorded by detail. even in today's era we can see people's ability when we know them, not just texts about them.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:46 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:Again, I did mention Liu Bei earlier in the thread...

Actually mate I was the first person to put Liu Bei's name in to the ring. Just saying. :P

I'm not so sure the problem is pidgeon holing people more that they only showed their potential in one or 2 areas and didn't have the chance to show all round ability.

You beat me to it by, oooh, all of 30 seconds...you young scamp, you... :wink:

I meant that those who's knowledge and experience of 3K begins with the novel and DW games have a tendency to pigeon-hole certain people, without realising that the person/persons had a broader ability spectrum, historically. It's easily done.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Striga » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Actually, it shows up as a whole 11 minute difference in the submission times.
Liu Bei in the novel was a poor strategist, but much better in history. He still has his flaws, and I'd rate Cao Cao and Sima Yi both over him.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:43 pm

Striga wrote:Actually, it shows up as a whole 11 minute difference in the submission times.

Does it matter? I mean, really...last time I checked, it didn't say Pedants of Shen Zhou at the forum header...

Going back to Hyper90's question: Liu Bei's charisma instantly draws me to a parallel of John F Kennedy for some reason...both men possessed an almost uncharted level of charisma, imo.
Mitsunari

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:51 pm

Mitsunari wrote:
Striga wrote:Actually, it shows up as a whole 11 minute difference in the submission times.

Does it matter? I mean, really...last time I checked, it didn't say Pedants of Shen Zhou at the forum header...

Going back to Hyper90's question: Liu Bei's charisma instantly draws me to a parallel of John F Kennedy for some reason...both men possessed an almost uncharted level of charisma, imo.

And like JFK had a penchant for idiocy.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Shen Ai wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:

And like JFK had a penchant for idiocy.

True, but we're all clearly partial to a spot of idiocy.
Mitsunari

Unread postby Striga » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:22 am

I didn’t mean anything with the 11 minutes. Mostly to start the thread back up. I agree to the point of we all have idiocy within ourselves.
Einstein wrote:Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Starscream » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:38 am

I think Cao Cao was the commander, strategist, politician i.e. all rounder that could beat Zhou Yu hands down. His political and military achievements speak much about his abilities.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Lord Yang Jiahua » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:44 am

Gotta Agree, CAo Cao, then SIma Yi, then Liu Bei(historically). Cao for his Unification of The Entire North, his effective laws, regulations, and the employment of Capable officers and men.
Sima Yi, for well, coniving a way fo his clan to rule China.(and fighting Zhuge Liang time after time)
Liu Bei, long periods of wandering, effective at gaining able men to his cause, founds a kingdom when basically it would've been impossible for most.
"We Will Show Wu The Meaning of Fear!"-Cao Cao in DW6
"Politicians Are all the same all over, They Promise to build a bridge even when theres no river"-Nikita Khrushchev
Lord Yang Jiahua
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium