Zhou Yu the greatest all round strategist?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhou Yu the greatest all round strategist?

Unread postby the hidden dragon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:49 am

forget abt novel's Zhuge Liang and how he pwned Zhou Yu. but in actual fact, Zhou yu who was also a competent battle field general, is way ahead of Zhugeliang..
I believe he was the most complete persona in the 3 kingdom.

others i could have thought of are;

1- sima Yi
2 - Lu Xun? Or he just a plain scholar like Zhugeliang
3 - Lu Kang
the hidden dragon
Assistant

Re: Zhou Yu the greatest all round strategist?

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:56 am

Zhou Yu would be in my Top 3, but personally I wouldn't put Sima Yi in the 'greatest all-round' strategist category, his forte lay predominantly in political expertise much like Kongming.

Mao Jie is one I'd consider a great 'all-rounder' too, maybe someone like Deng Ai too?
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:01 am

I wouldn't consider Zhou Yu the greatest all round strategist. Hell I no longer really consider Zhou Yu a strategist, more a commander who can see the strategic importance of certain events. If I was to go for greatest strategist of the period I'd probably back Jia Xu.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:18 am

Sun Fin wrote:I wouldn't consider Zhou Yu the greatest all round strategist. Hell I no longer really consider Zhou Yu a strategist, more a commander who can see the strategic importance of certain events. If I was to go for greatest strategist of the period I'd probably back Jia Xu.

I think the topic is mainly about 'all-round' characters, mate - like, strategists who are more than just strategists, so to speak.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 am

Is Zhou Yu an all rounder? Yes he did some civil service and he was a skilled, intelligent commander but what else? He wasn't a strategist, more a man who knew how to use other's peoples advice, he wasn't a senior administrator, rarely strayed into political or civil adviser.

Cao Cao and Zhuge Liang are two strong all rounders, Zhu Ran maybe?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:27 am

Yeah hence why I said I no longer consider him a strategist :P

I just don't see him fulfilling the role of a classic 3K strategist!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:46 am

Lu Meng is the greatest military mind, as well as Cao Cao, who was an all rounder. Sima Yi was talented in civil and military duties. Zhou Yu was an excellent commander and a competent politician, but not the greatest at the time.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Vitruvius » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:25 pm

So all round includes politics, troop command, battle field tactics and overall strategizing?

Cao Cao is the greatest. Followed by Lu Xun, Sima Yi and Zhuge Liang. I don't think Zhou Yu, Lu Meng etc are good at politics. I don't think Jia Xu etc are good at commanding troops on the field.
Vitruvius
Student

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:13 pm

Hmmm, Lu Xun is no doubt talented, but his political abilities are overestimated as are his military command compared to people like Zhuge Liang and Lu Meng. Lu Xun involved himself in the petty war for succession between two princes and paid the price with lifetime exile. He was not a subtle man.
Lu Meng is one of the greatest strategists of the time. He was a leader and a warrior as well as a clever man. He captured Jing without a fight almost and he supplied Zhou Yu with a great many plans for battle.
Zhou Yu is a highly skilled admiral, if you could call it that for the time, and a very brave, loyal man.He mentored Lu Su and allegedly Lu Meng as well and took advice from his men very well, unlike some generals who just execute them. Like Lu Xun and Fa Jun.
Jia Xu is in my opinion, THE greatest strategist of the era. He never gave bad advice and his strategies brought great success to all who followed them. He was not a battle field commander but rather an adviser. Either way, he had a way of maintaining his calm during tense situations and had a shrewd, able mind.
Sima Yi is highly skilled defensively. A very able politician who was able to steal power from the most powerful of kingdoms and leave his legacy in control of it.
Zhuge Liang, despite the hype and criticisms of him, is a very talented man. A talented strategist and a great governor, who did most of Liu Shan's work for him, Kongming was and is, in my opinion very deserving of his reputation.
Cao Cao was the most talented overall, with superb political skills, charisma, cunning, military skill and a pretty decent judge of character.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:22 pm

I would have to say that 'best overall' would have to be Cao Cao; as painful as I find it to admit it. ZGL would comes a close second. I think Zhou Yu, Sima Yi, Liu Bei are all reasonable second tier candidates. I also reckon that if he'd lived longer Sun Ce would have been up there :P
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium