Was Yuan Shao really that bad?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Was Yuan Shao really that bad?

Unread postby DragonAtma » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:07 am

I've noticed that Yuan Shao in 191 and Yuan Shao in 201 are like completely different people; over the decade, he went from smart and competent to arrogant and short-tempered. My best guess is that he developed senility -- or some other illness -- between the two dates, and by Guandu it had really screwed with his judgment.

As for Liu Bei, keep in mind that pre-208 he had setback after setback, yet the vast majority of his followers and a good amount of civilians followed him like a trusting group of kittens. I'm not saying that he was Gandhi, of course, but he must have done SOMETHING right to keep his followers so loyal despite having more losses than the 1929 stock market!
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium