Sun Quan, Cao Cao, or Liu Bei?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Who?

Sun Quan
10%
Cao Cao
70%
Liu Bei
20%

Total votes : 30

Sun Quan, Cao Cao, or Liu Bei?

Unread postby KingOfWei » Tue May 17, 2011 1:08 am

I always wondered, because I spoke to a friend of mine about who would be the best ruler for the land, to drive it where it needs to go, and he said that Liu Bei would be best because of his kindness. Cao Cao was too ruthless to lead the land. He was good in times of war, and as a military commander, but in times of peace that was where Liu Bei shined. The land needed Liu Bei to keep the peace when there was peace.

I wonder, what do people think? Would Cao Cao lead the land into more chaos? Would Liu Bei be the right choice? What about Sun Quan? Out of the 3 rulers, who would be best to lead the land and why?
Last edited by KingOfWei on Tue May 17, 2011 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
I am the only one worthy enough to walk the realm of ambition!
KingOfWei
Academic

Re: Sun Quan, Cao Cao, or Liu Bei?

Unread postby mrbeate » Tue May 17, 2011 1:21 am

KingOfWei wrote:I wonder, what do people think? Would Cao Cao lead the land into more chaos? Would Liu Bei be the right choice? What about Sun Quan? Out of the 3 rulers, who would be best to lead the land and why?

I'd say Cao Cao would still be the best ruler. Competent and intelligent military commander, while a political, civil and domestic genius. He invoked education systems, system reforms, irrigation, and class systems which shaped China/Wei for the better.

How would Cao Cao lead the land into more chaos? It's not like he's going to raid his own cities and towns just for the hell of it.
Liu Bei is a good choice as well, but not sure he is going to make the reforms Cao Cao did. Also, Liu Bei is not some ruler of peace, he waged war like it was no tomorrow. I don't know where Liu Bei was at peace, he was constantly at war with someone like every other warlord.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue May 17, 2011 1:33 am

None of the above. Only Xiahou Mao was fit to rule the land. Unfortunately, he predicted Sima Yi's treachery and the fall of Shu and Wei and, while he knew in his heart he could stop it, he could not bring himself to do combat with his Wei brethren.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KingOfWei » Tue May 17, 2011 1:35 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Only Xiahou Mao was fit to rule the land.

Based upon what qualities?
KingOfWei
Academic

Unread postby Qu Hui » Tue May 17, 2011 1:46 am

I'd agree with mrbeate. Cao Cao was ultimately much better for the common people than the other two rulers. Liu Bei's popularity among the common people seems to be based on the kindness he showed towards them and doesn't seem to have been based off of any actual economic prosperity that he brought to his people. Even with Zhuge Liang behind him Shu never seems to have reached a level of comparable proportion of prosperity. It's the same for Sun Quan, although Quan did set the foundation in the south for dynasties such as the Jin and the Song to survive.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Tue May 17, 2011 1:55 am

Zyzyfer wrote:None of the above. Only Xiahou Mao was fit to rule the land. Unfortunately, he predicted Sima Yi's treachery and the fall of Shu and Wei and, while he knew in his heart he could stop it, he could not bring himself to do combat with his Wei brethren.

Quit joking...
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue May 17, 2011 1:56 am

KingOfWei wrote:

http://kongming.net/novel/kma/realxiahoumao.php
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerTally » Tue May 17, 2011 2:05 am

Zyzyfer wrote:
KingOfWei wrote:

http://kongming.net/novel/kma/realxiahoumao.php

It was an April Fool’s joke.

http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15024
TigerTally
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue May 17, 2011 2:13 am

I'm well aware. But KingofWei loves to cite Dynasty Warriors in discussions. I thought I'd pull the wool over his eyes for a bit, but so much for that. :?
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby KingOfWei » Tue May 17, 2011 2:16 am

Zyzyfer wrote:I'm well aware. But KingofWei loves to cite Dynasty Warriors in discussions. I thought I'd pull the wool over his eyes for a bit, but so much for that. :?

I cite it because it's what I have. Lol.
KingOfWei
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium