The Lost Bladesman 关云长

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

The Lost Bladesman 关云长

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:52 pm

I wonder if anyone has seen the trailer to this new Guan Yu movie, starring the increasingly popular kungfu star Donnie Yen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIXm1H1ZqxE

I'm no fan of Guan Yu and I'm still very much indulged in the Wu and Wei characters in the New Sanguo TV series. Hence, not too inclined to watch this. I thought Donnie Yen would be more convincing as Zhao Yun, i.e. expressionless, goody goody, extremely good fighter.

The biggest cliche for me is the movie title so far.... I don't recall Guan Yu being associated with the word "lost" before. :mrgreen: Personally, I can relate better to the movie if you rename it as "True Musou". :twisted:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Re: The Lost Bladesman 关云长

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:04 pm

Starscream wrote:I wonder if anyone has seen the trailer to this new Guan Yu movie, starring the increasingly popular kungfu star Donnie Yen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIXm1H1ZqxE

I'm no fan of Guan Yu and I'm still very much indulged in the Wu and Wei characters in the New Sanguo TV series. Hence, not too inclined to watch this. I thought Donnie Yen would be more convincing as Zhao Yun, i.e. expressionless, goody goody, extremely good fighter.

The biggest cliche for me is the movie title so far.... I don't recall Guan Yu being associated with the word "lost" before. :mrgreen:

It would have sold me just by saying 'Hey! New 3K movie to be released starring Donnie Yen!'. I still have Ip Man on my to buy list. But I do agree with you that he looks more the part of Zhao Yun.

Personally, I can relate better to the movie if you rename it as "True Musou". :twisted:

Indeed! :lol:

EDIT: Oh snap!! Donnie Yen just made Guan Yu look like a Super Kung-Fu Master with G.I. Joe grip!! I almost asked 'where's the beard?' But then I saw a progression throughout the trailer. I hope this either comes to the U.S. or gets 'fansubbed' *hint hint wink wink*

EDIT2: I noticed that the actor that plays Zhao Yun in the Sangou TV series is also in this movie. Perhaps he is reprising his role as Zhao Yun? I don't know his name so I guess someone who may know it can look at the list of names and confirm?

Never mind, I noticed its Yuan Nie playing as Han Fu. (bummer)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Hyper90 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 am

Zhuanyong wrote:But I do agree with you that he looks more the part of Zhao Yun.

nothing i could agree more than this when i see his:

physique
fighting skills

this is the first time i've seen guan yu with a quick slaying and chopping skills. speaking of a 40KG weight of a guan dao....

and i've been waiting for this movie :D

actually this movie is about guan yu passing the 6 obstacles after guan du happened.
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Equinox » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:38 pm

I enjoy action flicks and historical dramas, and Donnie Yen has shown himself among the best in terms of both starring and choreographing great action sequences. I'll probably see this for those reasons alone, setting aside my gripes about historical accuracy and stuff like that (Fearless and Ip Man, anybody?).

Still, an interesting choice to cast a shortish, fit guy in a role usually portrayed by tall, stocky fellows.
Equinox
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:53 am

I actually like these none canonical biopics, contrary to most other SG fans. I even liked Resurrection of the Dragon.

Just because I find the Director is usually able to find some interesting interpretation of characters. ie. in resurrection of the dragon, Zhao Yun was a reckless glory-hound and Zhuge Liang a callous and even fallible strategist, whilst all the characters suffered from blind nationalism.

Also the aesthetic and fighting style choices are generally interesting.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

The more Three Kingdoms based movies the better- as it's been a great way for me to get my non-Chinese friends interested in the subject matter.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am

Would be fun to watch for sure. Hope it isn't like the Andy Lau version and is remotely similar to Three Kingdoms without messing up the gender of a Three Kingdoms general (still pissed off at Maggie Q as Xiahou Mao). Pity I am not in Hong Kong at the time to watch the theatre version and will have to buy the DVD when it's out :(
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Da Chao » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:31 am

It does look kinda promising, but like Zhuanyong, I still have IP Man to buy. And I don't really put movies high on my Amazon priority list. So it may be awhile before I get this. :?
“However, you may return and tell Sun Quan to wash his neck: the executioner is coming!”
[且放汝回去,說與孫權,洗頸就戮!]
Da Chao
Initiate

Unread postby chen guan suo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:13 am

Starscream wrote:Personally, I can relate better to the movie if you rename it as "True Musou". :twisted:

u mean in 0:30-0:35? :mrgreen:
couldn't agree more

is this when Cao Cao capture Guan Yu, before he met Guan Ping?
Die, Nasty Warriors!!
Dynasty Waria (waria means .. ladyboy)
Dynasty Worriers
chen guan suo
Tyro

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:14 pm

chen guan suo wrote:
Starscream wrote:Personally, I can relate better to the movie if you rename it as "True Musou". :twisted:

u mean in 0:30-0:35? :mrgreen:
couldn't agree more

is this when Cao Cao capture Guan Yu, before he met Guan Ping?

Yeah, 0:30 - 0:35 looks like DW7 characters page in the official website. :lol:

Probably during the time when Guan Yu was in Cao Cao's service. That's the only excuse to show him rampaging. When Guan Yu encountered smarter individuals like Zhuge Liang and Lu Meng in the later part of his life, he didn't have much opportunity to musou his enemies.

I'm still trying to figure out why the title is "Lost Bladesman". Are they implying 千里走单骑? Even then, Guan Yu did not lose his way and traveled to Jiangdong.....so how was he lost? :roll:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium