Fansub of the new Three Kingdom TV series (Ep 1-95 released)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Fansub of the new Three Kingdom TV series (Ep 1-95 relea

Unread postby MarileneRiddle » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:59 am

Well first of all, I actually own the series on DVD. It is in HD so the image quality is very good (great for screen grabs) and sound is great as well. As probably already mentioned, the English subtitles are horrifically hilarious. But I don't use subs anyway, so that is fine. The pricing is reasonable - much the same as all other China/Hong Kong/Taiwan productions here in Singapore. If you live outside of Asia though, maybe shipping would make it far too pricey to be worth it.

Chen Jian Bin is terrific. He is now definitively Cao Mengde for me. Others may play Cao Cao the villain, but Chen Jian Bin is Cao Cao the person. Totally fits professor Yi Zhong Tian's 可爱的奸雄 (adorable unscrupulous hero) description.

However, I have to say that the rest of Wei (excepting Xun Yu and Sima Yi) suffered as a result. Guo Jia had very little screen time (his death wasn't even mentioned), Xiahou Dun had brief cameos (chasing Guan Yu, sigh), Jia Xu was non-existent, Dian Wei completely forgotten, Cao Ren relegated to eye candy. Wei became Cao Cao, and that is it. Which is really sad because they had so much more to offer.

Shu became less heroic but more human. Which is a good thing. However, it does make their motivations even less believable. For all their talk of goodness, to actually see their actions and the results makes them even more hypocritical. That said, they did have fantastic action sequences. Changban really made me feel like I was playing Dynasty Warriors (especially Zhao Yun's musou and L2 horse summon). Unrealistic, but awesome all the same.

And Wu became 'blackened'. At least that is the Chinese term for it. No longer the invisible third kingdom, Wu is suddenly the nest of Game of Thrones like political manipulation and power play. And poor Sun Quan is in the middle of it all.

I loved the beginning when Quan Er was portrayed as some kind of child genius (historically he was recognised by the Han/Cao Cao's court as 孝廉 filial and incorruptible at the age of 15) but he became almost insidious really quickly. From hypocritically offering Wu to Zhou Yu and giving his sister to Liu Bei, to killing Lv Meng and threatening Lu Xun, Sun Quan has fallen so far from grace that his nickname is now 渣权 (comparing Quan to the dregs of society).

Though I am absolutely horrified by the script's characterization of Wu in general (jealous Zhou Yu in full force, 'bunny' Lu Su who still feels a little too weak, 'loyal dog' Lv Meng who has his IQ lowered and switched loyalty from Sun Quan to Zhou Yu, 'madman' Lu Xun who did actually look mad at times), the fact that Chinese public actually remember Wu now, as opposed to 'that other kingdom that wasn't Cao Cao or Liu Bei, is good. However, I am still holding out for someone to do a Wu centric movie/drama.

Overall, I enjoyed it much more when I switched off the historian side of me ( despite the director's claim to restore more history in this adaptation). Special shout outs to Zhang Bo (who stood up well to the veterans despite being the only major role actor born in the 1980s, and whose good looks made Sun Quan put Sun Ce and Zhou Yu to shame), Lu Yi ( finally a young looking Zhuge Liang in a drama, though Takeshi Kaneshiro is still more handsome) and Chang Chen (whose loyal Lv Meng was extremely endearing). I am actually pretty upset at the Lv Meng characterization in this drama because Chang Chen's previous role as Fei Zhan Fang/Han Xiangzi proved that he could handle historical Lv Meng - from stubborn warrior badass to kind intelligent deity/strategist - and it would have been awesome to watch and given Wu more screen time without making them more devious. Ah well.

In conclusion, a good production and well worth watching. But plenty areas can still be improved upon.
节操的操,嘉礼的嘉
权力的权,蒙骗的蒙
MarileneRiddle
Tyro

Unread postby -zhoutai- » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:11 am

I have a problem ! I had the series on my HDD, but thats decided to pack in. I have a new HDD now but I can't for the life of me remember where I downloaded the fansub from, I have the DVD but the subtitles are awful.

I think I torrented it last time but I'm not sure.
-zhoutai-
Apprentice

Unread postby Dresseppy169 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:30 am

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find English subtitles for this series that I can download?

I'm looking for soft subs, not video with hard subs.

Thank you
Dresseppy169
Tyro

Unread postby Elskidor » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:28 pm

Dunno. I just finished watching the whole thing straight from Youtube.
Elskidor
Tyro

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:56 pm

Dresseppy169 wrote:Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find English subtitles for this series that I can download?

I'm looking for soft subs, not video with hard subs.

Thank you

Yes, Youtube has them all up.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Thu May 21, 2015 5:06 pm

Somewhat frustrated here.

The youtube version is easily accessible with good subtitles but the video quality is poor.

The torrent version is impossible to find but apparently has good subtitles and video quality.

The DVD version is somewhat easily accessible with good video quality but crappy subtitles.

Apparently finding a good quality version with good subtitles is next to impossible. :(
MiDKnighT
Master

Unread postby MiDKnighT » Sun May 24, 2015 6:41 pm

OK I found the fansub download but was disappointed to see it was only in 720x400 which is barely better than the youtube version. Sucks...

I've heard the official DVD english subs are awful so probably won't even go there.
MiDKnighT
Master

Unread postby rsetiawan » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:47 am

just watch the series

being Cao-cao fans while I enjoy the series I dont like some depiction about cao cao here.....
Cao cao in the series dont love family at all, complaining about birthing wife and being happy about a dead father coz he now have reason to attack tao qian (historically tao qian been at war with cao cao for years and cao-cao beat him in ten cities).... even by novel standard that is really misleading and inaccurate on contradictive with reality...cao cao love his family very much though he is still harshly discipline (any child would choose yuan shao as father though :mrgreen: )

some diversion are also unnecessary, example : they make cao-cao with diao chan part for, what for ? scandal with super beautiful zhangxiu's sexy MILF aunt is more err... scandalous and hot than fictitious story with diao chan.... :twisted:

Greatest problem, the cao-cao actor can't really acting... he talk in the same tone and ALWAYS laugh unnecessarily with same kind of laugh, even when cao-cao begging his life to guan yu, when sad, when angry, he laugh the same laugh...it is really annoying after a while....
if real cao cao still alive he will torture then bury the actor alive for the innaccurate acting, fortunately Im much more forgiving....

big no no cao actor :(

btw is xiliang people really like depicted in the series ? long hair a la 80's glam rock band ? :?:

other than that... I found the series actually more enjoyable than 94 series (cant stand zhangfei mascara, guan yu blush-on, and lamest and weakest lu bu looking in history of mankind in the 94 series, and the good uncle looking cao cao too looks more like japanese daimyo in akira kurosawa movie)
rsetiawan
Initiate

Unread postby Usagi » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:56 am

Worst thing is that Phoenix DID NOT arranged victory on Chi Bi. This is biggest lie I've heard and read about the story.
I still cannot imagine about myriads of mistakes of some in such great battle. It sounds unreal for me, like forged story...
Usagi
Tyro

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:48 pm

rsetiawan wrote:
Greatest problem, the cao-cao actor can't really acting... he talk in the same tone and ALWAYS laugh unnecessarily with same kind of laugh, even when cao-cao begging his life to guan yu, when sad, when angry, he laugh the same laugh...it is really annoying after a while....
if real cao cao still alive he will torture then bury the actor alive for the innaccurate acting, fortunately Im much more forgiving....

big no no cao actor :(

btw is xiliang people really like depicted in the series ? long hair a la 80's glam rock band ? :?:

Strange, I thought Cao Cao was one of the best acted characters of the whole series. I personally didn't even like Cao Cao before watching all of these (Mostly because he never stops spreading rumors in my cities every time I play Rotk XI :lol: ) but ended up liking Cao Cao now, although I do tend to like the villian types anyways. I didn't notice it really until you said it, but I probably would fit in with the Xi Liang people since I have similar long hair lol.

Anyways, I'm kinda sad that I finished watching all of these now since I don't have anything else to watch now. Are there any series similar to this that are also based on Three Kingdoms or even something like "Samurai Warriors" era Japan? In english or with subtitles of course since I will have no clue what's going on. :wink:
And also, thanks to everyone that worked on subbing this, I really enjoyed watching it.
Valvatorez
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium