Fansub of the new Three Kingdom TV series (Ep 1-95 released)

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Fansub of the new Three Kingdom TV series (Ep 1-95 relea

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:03 am

To be quite honest, the Youtube streams (via the THXer channel), are pretty acceptable. I'm currently up to episode 21, and I can honestly say I've been engrossed since the get-go.

The acting thus far has been superb, especially the touching scene where Sun Jian died.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby ivolga » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:51 pm

I'm currently rewatching the series, this time together with a person who hasn't read the novel and didn't know anything about the characters or the story beforehand. It's very interesting for me to observe how someone who knows nothing about the Three Kingdoms reacts to the story. :lol:

At first "the subject of my experiment" despised Cao Cao: he even almost dropped the series after Lu Boshe murder. But by the 10th episode Cao Cao became his most favorite character!
What surprised me is that he absolutely hates Liu Bei and considers him a liar and a shrewd hypocrite. I thought an unbiased person would sympathize with Liu Bei more

Watching the show together has also helped me to understand what the main problem of the series is: it fails to find balance between realistic and mythical. For example, Dong Zhuo, Wu, Wei plot lines are mostly realistic and believable: even for a total newcomer they are interesting, easy to understand and fun to watch.
But as soon as Liu Bei&Co appear on the screen the narrative immediately switches to "fairytale-ish": e.g. Zhang Fei kills by shouting, Zhuge Liang summons wind and kills Wang Lang by a couple of unimpressive phrases, etc, etc. I understand that those episodes are iconic and "must have" for most "Sanguo Yanyi" readers but I still wish the tone of narrative were more consistent.
ivolga
Apprentice

Unread postby Chiang Tzu-Ya » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:02 am

Up to Episode 60 myself on YouTube, a user named 'LordManuel333' has all 95 episodes except for 57 (the death of Zhou Yu) up for viewing...quite engrossed in it.

Disappointed in the numerous diversions from the novel, though I understand why they do it.
Chiang Tzu-Ya
Apprentice

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:53 pm

Excellent show, although some of the duels sometimes looked like a theatrical version of Dynasty Warriors. That aside it was a very enjoyable series. I particularly liked the way they portrayed Cao Cao, as a master of warfare. Thumbs up A+ rating, it was very well done. I love all things, and anything Three Kingdoms related.
ky9ersfan
Initiate

Unread postby rk47 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:24 am

I think people watch this for the human drama, we see plenty of it in Wu arc, even the tension between two brothers and Zhuge Liang was also done for the drama as well.

All in all, Cao Cao's TV series trollful face is what pops up whenever I get frustrated in RTK games nowadays.
And yes, when the show abandons the human drama for 'depiction of fantastical feats of wank', it gets really weak.
rk47
Assistant

Unread postby Xian Xu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:46 pm

I've been rewatching the series and enjoying it. :D Thank you to the Lady Wu and the fansubbers!

ivolga wrote:I'm currently rewatching the series, this time together with a person who hasn't read the novel and didn't know anything about the characters or the story beforehand. It's very interesting for me to observe how someone who knows nothing about the Three Kingdoms reacts to the story. :lol:

At first "the subject of my experiment" despised Cao Cao: he even almost dropped the series after Lu Boshe murder. But by the 10th episode Cao Cao became his most favorite character!
What surprised me is that he absolutely hates Liu Bei and considers him a liar and a shrewd hypocrite. I thought an unbiased person would sympathize with Liu Bei more

I've always wondered what that would be like.

Specifically, I played the video games before I read the books and before I watched the television shows and movies. I've always wondered how that changed my perception of the characters.

ky9ersfan wrote:I particularly liked the way they portrayed Cao Cao, as a master of warfare.

Yea, the Cao Cao portrayal is really good. I love the laughs he interjects. When he trolls Yuan Shao is classic.
Xiǎn Xù (冼旭)
Xian Xu
Scholar

Unread postby ivolga » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:55 pm

Xian Xu wrote:I've always wondered what that would be like.

Specifically, I played the video games before I read the books and before I watched the television shows and movies. I've always wondered how that changed my perception of the characters.

I don't think the perception would change significantly. After all, the characters' archetypes are still mostly the same in all media, even if appraisals and/or some details differ.
ivolga
Apprentice

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium