New biography of Cao Cao

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: New biography of Cao Cao

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Malqui wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:You can Dong although I'm moving to Wales in a few weeks so you'll be living with my parents! :lol:

My small local libary is poor but we have a really big one in town that you can most things from/order.

May I ask, out of curiosity, why you're moving to wales? Because I will be too soon :P

Also, on-topic. This book sounds absolutely amazing, and I might have to try and acquire it. Will visit London Library soon enough and have a poke around, see what I can do.

Cos I'm about to start at University of Wales, Lampeter.
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Malqui » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:06 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Malqui wrote:
Sun Fin wrote:You can Dong although I'm moving to Wales in a few weeks so you'll be living with my parents! :lol:

My small local libary is poor but we have a really big one in town that you can most things from/order.

May I ask, out of curiosity, why you're moving to wales? Because I will be too soon :P

Also, on-topic. This book sounds absolutely amazing, and I might have to try and acquire it. Will visit London Library soon enough and have a poke around, see what I can do.

Cos I'm about to start at University of Wales, Lampeter.

Holy shi-

You're not by any chance, doing Chinese Studies, are you? If so, then I'd like to greet my class-mate-to-be!
Malqui
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:37 am

Nah Church History and Theology.

But thats awesome anyway! I might actually know someone before I start now!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand and my tumblr to see if I have reviewed it!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Malqui » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 am

Great! Same Uni! Small world!

Interesting subjects too!
Malqui
Initiate

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:23 am

Its a small university too! I didn't know off anyone else who is going there so I'm pleased to discover that your going!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Erdrick » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:10 pm

Yes, ask the librarian- even if its not in the interlibrary system, can also hint that it'd be a good book for them to get for their collection, (especially collegiate levels with Chinese history programs)

Planning on getting it myself- price is rough, but that tends to be part and parcel with academic books, (they get priced for University systems to buy, not students/scholars)
Erdrick
Sage

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:11 am

For some reason, this one just doesn't resonate with me. I appreciate Crespigny's works and insights. His comments on Guandu in that interview were particularly interesting. How much more about Cao Cao can really be revealed (in terms of facts rather than speculation), though, that isn't already known? Admittedly the discovery of his tomb last year was highly significant. Other than that, what more about Cao Cao can be said? Meh.

I'll still probably buy it I guess.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Harimau » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 am

Book depository has it on sale for ~ 170 USD.

I'm quite seriously considering it... Gotta love the near parity between the AUD and USD these days.

Well, between this and http://www.amazon.com/Biographical-Dict ... im_sbs_b_1

Which one do you guys think is better value?

As a side note, do you guys know why his books are always so darn expensive?
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Tarrot » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:54 pm

I'd say without question the Biographical Dictionary takes precedence. I also have the e-book version of it that I scanned from hand if you buy it, just PM me for it. But the Bio Dictionary just contains so much information, including information on guys from the early Han period, as well as guys who there hasn't been a good translation of their biography. The Cao Cao biography, no matter how long it is, just screams that its a commentary on it. For almost all of us, we know 90% about Cao Cao and his history and everything around him. So you're paying $200 for a commentary from him.

I imagine the price is so high because he's the only real major English speaker who publishes work like this, and because most likely these works are designed more for a college library than for regular fans of the era. For example, I read Of Emperors and Consorts, and I see that as a book designed for information and for fans. Rafe's books are more research tomes I think.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:50 pm

I agree with Tarrot. If choosing between the two, get the Biographical Dictionary and don't look back.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium