New biography of Cao Cao

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: New biography of Cao Cao

Unread postby agga » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:41 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:
agga wrote:
guys, this is what libraries are for.

chances of the libraries in my county having it are about 0

interlibrary loan? they're typically networked together; i first read Three Kingdoms in the 9th grade by asking my local library (in a town of 2000 people in middle TN - i.e. not a big library) to find it for me. they found a copy at the city library in Memphis, and i got it a couple of weeks later. it works.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:58 pm

If my county library service has such a service, I haven't found it after 4/5 years. Bear in mind, I live in England and not America, before you say request to purchase, there are issues with that service (and wheter, during a recession that is going to badly hit the county's coffers, whether I should) so rather not do that

Edit: well no, that's lie, we do have a inter-library system but we only discovered that by accident when we ordered a book from the online list and then get charged extra, it only seems to be for a few select books with one or two counties.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby GuoBia » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:47 pm

Not only England. XD Chances of the city library stocking it? Around here about 0. One, they only have like either really popular or really lame garage-sale Danielle Steel books.

The UCSD library is already on a budget cut.

B&N is our best bet if there aren't going to be any bargains. This is not the kind of book you'll easily find used for like $4, unfortunately.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 pm

SOAS would have stocked it. Maybe I should have worked a little harder to get those grades :(.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:55 pm

seriously, go ask your librarian if they can borrow it for you from another library. they're not going to buy it just so they can lend it to you, but they might lend it from another institution, lend it to you, etc. in the US at least, this is a basic library service though most people may not know it.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:00 pm

agga is correct. I have a friend who works full time in a libary. However a niche book like this they won't stock many copies and it may be weeks until it becomes avaliable.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:31 am

Sun Fin, can I live with you, because your library service sounds better then mine?

Agga, I don't live in the USA, I live in Bedfordshire, in a poor part of it, that has been hit by the recession and whose library service is well meaning but badly flawed. I do not have the same options as you
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:29 am

You can Dong although I'm moving to Wales in a few weeks so you'll be living with my parents! :lol:

My small local libary is poor but we have a really big one in town that you can most things from/order.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Malqui » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:33 pm

Sun Fin wrote:You can Dong although I'm moving to Wales in a few weeks so you'll be living with my parents! :lol:

My small local libary is poor but we have a really big one in town that you can most things from/order.

May I ask, out of curiosity, why you're moving to wales? Because I will be too soon :P

Also, on-topic. This book sounds absolutely amazing, and I might have to try and acquire it. Will visit London Library soon enough and have a poke around, see what I can do.
Malqui
Initiate

Unread postby agga » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:26 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Agga, I don't live in the USA, I live in Bedfordshire, in a poor part of it, that has been hit by the recession and whose library service is well meaning but badly flawed. I do not have the same options as you

ok, i'm just used to having to push "use the library" on people, i recognize you're the sort that already knows how to use one-- :oops:
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium