10 Favorite People of the Era

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: 10 Favorite People of the Era

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:20 pm

Lol, guess I shouldn't have taken the comment very seriously, but so many people come up with crazy ideas, you can't help but try to argue your point.

Wei Yan and Zhuge Liang are the only two people from Shu I truly like. Most of my favs are from Wei, though Zhou Yu and Sun Ce are both great.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 pm

From Shu: Zhou Yu, Wei Yan, Zhang Fei, Zhuge Liang, Huang Zhong
From Wei: Xiahou Dun, Cao Cao, Xu Shu (for Shu as well), Xu Chu
From Wu: Zhou Yu, SSX, Sun Jian, Sun Ce, Lu Su, Lu Xun, Lü Meng, Huang Gai, and the list goes on.

I side with Wu, even though before reading the book, I barely even knew what the third side was called. :lol:
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:44 pm

Huang Gai is pretty awesome given his intelligence and courage, both in history and more so in the novel.
Xu Chu scaring Ma Chao off is quite a good moment for me, so I like Xu Chu.
Wang Ping and Wei Yan have always been favourites of mine.
Cao Shuang recently as well. Don't even ask, I really don't know why.

Wei: Cao Pi, Cao Cao, Zhang Liao, Xiahou Dun, Zhuge Dan, Cao Zhen, Guo Huai, Xiahou Shang and Cao Rui
Shu: Wei Yan, Zhuge Liang, Wang Ping, Zhang Fei and Zhuge Zhan
Wu: Sun Ce, Zhou Yu, Sun Jian, Lu Meng, Huang Gai, and SSX
Outside: Yuan Shao, Gongsan Zan, Gao Lan and Gongsan Yuan
Han: He Jin, Cao Jie, Jian Shuo, Emperor Ling and Huan, Huangfu Song, Fu Xie, and the Ten Attendants

That should be most, but someone might coma along who I remember. These are people I like, but not all are my favourites.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ts'aoist » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:51 am

10. Ts'ao Ang
9. Hsiahou Yuan
8. Hsiahou Tun
7. Ts'ao Chen
6. Ts'ao Jui
5. Ts'ao Chih
4. Ts'ao P'i
3. Ts'ao Hung
2. Ts'ao Jen
1. Ts'ao Ts'ao
The ancient adepts of Wei were subtle and flexible, profound and comprehensive.
Their minds were too deep to be fathomed.
Ts'ao Te Ching, Ch. 15
Ts'aoist
Master

Unread postby Striga » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:02 pm

OMG, Cantonese naming. Haven't seen that for a while. :shock:
Regardless of that, you seem to be a huge Wei fanatic.
Where are all the Wu fanatics? :(
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:41 pm

1. Ling Tong: This guy is just… words fail me. As a general he was one of the greatest and most selfless of his time. What he did at Hefei impresses me more than probably anything else of the era. Standing alone to ensure Sun Quan’s escape until his body was nearly cut to pieces, and then weeping over the loss of his men—that is an upstanding gentleman in my eyes. I think you will find as a common thread throughout this post that I am drawn towards non-materialistic people of humility and generosity more than anyone else, and Gongji is said to have emulated these almost to a fault. I won’t list all the examples as this post would quickly become excessive—I will only suggest you read his SGZ bio.

2. Xiahou Dun: I love this man for his governorship. A couple quotes from his SGZ bio:
“During his term of office there were sometimes drought and locust attacks. Dun blockaded the river and used the fertile riverbed for agricultural purposes. He led his men to join in the labor and he carried soil on his back like the peasants. The people benefited because of his leadership, and later Dun became the governor of He’nan.”
“He was a prudent man to himself and generous to others. He did not enjoy keeping a wealthy estate so whenever he had extra income he gave them to the masses, and whenever there was a shortage he took from the treasury.”
Again, these are the traits that I value most in people. The fact that he literally worked alongside the peasants is what really does it for me.

3. Li Dian: Incredibly smart and talented, and I have mentioned elsewhere that I think he is extremely underrated. Most importantly (for me) he was insanely humble and apparently quite unmaterialistic.

4. Liu Bei: I am of the opinion that he really was a kind and humble man. I’m not saying that he was completely selfless and without selfish ambition, seeing as how he was human, but I also strongly believe that nothing does a better job of accentuating a person’s flaws than a position of power. Find me a mortal ruler who somehow managed to serve an extensive term without making any questionable decisions or allowing personal ambition to sneak in. I honestly believe that Liu Bei made a far stronger effort than most to be a, for lack of a better term, “good” ruler.

5. Lu Meng: Good glob was this man smart. In my humble (and probably wrong) opinion, he was the most talented man of the entire era.

6. Zhao Yun: Even strictly historically speaking, he comes across as a pleasant, incorrupt man with pure intentions—not to mention he possessed remarkable ability, despite what the clique of naysayers says.

7. Cheng Pu: A respected and intrepid veteran of a generous nature. It’s a shame his name gets overshadowed by others of the time. He deserves much more recognition.

8. Cao Ren: It is actually a bit of an enigma to me why I like him, but I do. The best I can give is that he was an incredibly smart, capable, and inspiring general.

9. Lu Su: Brilliant and generous. Probably one of the most pleasant personalities to shrine through the history of the period.

10. Sun Quan: He had the gonads to stand up to Cao Cao and was an incredibly able judge of talents. He also seemed to have a legitimate love for his officers.

Honorable mentions include Liao Hua, Han Dang, Zhou Tai, Huang Zhong, and Xu Huang. I wish I could place them somewhere, but I don't know who I'd drop.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Aygor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:15 pm

1) Jiang Wei
2) Zhao Yun
3) Cao Cao
4) Liu Bei
5) Cao Pi
6) Cao Mao
7) Guan Xing
8) Zhang Bao
9) Zhuge Zhan
10) Liu Feng
Last edited by Aygor on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Aaron.K » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 am

10. Huangfu Song
9. Xu Shao
8. Lu Bu
7. Cao Cao
6. Jia Xu
5. Guan Yu
4. Xiahou Mao
3. Taishi Ci
2. Liu Yu
1. Yang Hu
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby solemio » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:59 pm

1. Sun Ce
2. Zhou Yu
3. Zhang Liao
4. Guo Jia
5. Yu Fan (This man is versatile! And such a great fan of Sun Ce! He was always nice to Sun Ce and risked his life protecting him. And he didn't give Sun Quan a damn!!! Sometime I feel resembling him, except for the sports part...)
6. Cao Cao
7. Taishi Ci
8. Lu Xun
9. Lu Kang (Great general & grandson of Sun Ce)
10. Gao Shun

As you may notice, I don't like anyone from Shu...
You bloomed like a burning rose and exhausted my heart, which hence can bear nothing but weeds.
solemio
Tyro

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:08 pm

I think you and I are going to get on very well. Sun Ce is my favourite person from the era whilst Sun Quan is close to being my least favourite!

I'm surprised to see no Lu Fan from such a staunch Sun Ce fan though?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium