10 Favorite People of the Era

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: 10 Favorite People of the Era

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:45 pm

Striga wrote:The assassins were portrayed as avenging their master, and Quan genuinely seemed to be afraid of taking on the task at hand, even giving the main section of it up to Zhou Yu. Ce also seemed to care for his little brother quite a bit, so I don't see Quan hating or disliking him.

There is a suggestion, found in GoTS, that Sun Ce was begining to build Sun Yi up to be a potential rival for Sun Quan as Yi was the more skilled in military matters. Maybe Quan was exhibiting the callusness he showed later (like Lu Xun) and did away with Ce before Yi could become any more of a threat. :P
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:59 pm

Seems a bit farfetched. I mean, Sun Quan isn't like Cao Pi. He was cruel at times, but he wasn't accused of being overly ambitious towards his brother or rivals.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Seems a bit farfetched. I mean, Sun Quan isn't like Cao Pi. He was cruel at times, but he wasn't accused of being overly ambitious towards his brother or rivals.

Well everyone who was a possible threat to Sun Quan died young or were exiled politically. Sun Ce, Sun Yi, Sun Gao, Xu Kun, Zhou Yu, Sun Shao the list is actually a lot longer then I thought :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:17 pm

But, all of there deaths can be attributed to other causes. And Sun Yi would have made a terrible ruler. He was pig headed and arrogant. Sun Quan I don't think, killed Zhou Yu, simply due to the usefulness Zhou Yu had. Quan was smart. He wouldn't kill a man who was so popular and skilled as well as loyal. They were supposedly close as well. Lu Xun is one guy you can say he meant to die.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:01 pm

Also, Zhou Yu and Sun Ce would be able enough to avoid most assassination attempts. Sun Ce didn't suspect Sun Quan of the assassination attempt, and Zhou Yu served him loyally. Zhou Yu was also a large asset to Sun Quan against Wei. I don't think that Sun Quan would have gone around killing off people who posed a small threat to his position, but were a large asset to the Kingdom, since he appeared to care more about the people of his land than anything else.
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:04 pm

I agree to that as well. Zhou Yu was a very important man. His death damaged morale and was quite a setback for Wu.
Sun Quan would have benefited from a bit longer of Sun Ce's rule. His brother was an excellent leader and he was establishing a hold on the region. I doubt Sun Quan would kill his brother when he was fighting to make his family safe and important.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:09 pm

And another thing, both times, they were just about to launch an invasion. The only reason for Sun Quan killing them was because he didn't want the attack. However, in Zhou Yu's case, he could have just said no, and in Sun Ce's case, he could have convinced him otherwise.
It's strange how the two times they were going to launch an important attack, the general dies. :cry:
"Immense power is fun! You should try it sometime." -Syndra (favourite quote XD)
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:12 pm

Guys I wasn't actually being serious :lol:
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Oh, as long as that's settled.

The Han Dynasty has started to interest me more and more recently. Han Generals in particular are among my points of interest. He Jin, Huangfu Song, Fu Xie and Emperor Ling are all interesting figures.

I like Xiahou Dun for some reason. Maybe because he isn't a great military commander despite being such a fierce warrior and his high promotions under Cao Cao seem to be slightly ironic and interesting. They were quite close eh?

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Striga » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Took you a while to say that. It caused quite a bit of debate (one-sided).
Striga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium