Top 10 Generals of the period

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Top 10 Generals of the period

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 pm

Yeah definitely! You've got to draw lines somewhere! When I wrote my last list (which looking at again I didn't feel I could improve) I was decided who I thought would be the best CICs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mendedties » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 pm

Well then, I might as well go ahead and make a list for CiC's:

1. Lu Meng (still)
2. Deng Ai (still)
3. Sun Ce
4. Zhou Yu
5. Lu Xun
6. Cao Cao
7. Huangfu Song
8. Lu Kang
9. Xu Huang
10. Sun Jian

Something like that. Not a whole lot different. As far as ordering goes, beyond the top three or four they could be interchanged at whim, as far as I'm concerned.

See kids? History is fun! You can make lists. So many lists.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:21 am

mendedties wrote:I return to necro this thread with a new and improved, actually somewhat historically informed list of my own. In making it, I relied not strictly on number/quality of accomplishments, but more on my general sense of the individual's competence in reading about them. Highly subjective, obviously, but what else can you do?

The list:

1. Lu Meng
2. Deng Ai
3. Ling Tong
4. Sun Ce
5. Xu Huang
6. Lu Xun
7. Huangfu Song
8. Lu Kang
9. Sun Jian
10. Zhang Liao

So much Wu, I know!

This is pretty close to what I would come up with in my own limited knowledge of the era.

But, if I needed one general for one job I'd really go for Sun Jian, Zhang Liao or Sun Ce.
It always irked me that Sun Jian didn't get his deserved credit vs Dong Zhuo in the novel despite the numerical disadvantages and Yuan Shu cutting supplies(briefly) His success against the Turbans, and many other rebellions where others had failed are pretty impressive to me. By all accounts his men were well trained, disciplined and motivated.

What Sun Ce accomplished in his 25 years is mind boggling to me. Of course he had some top notch help, He Qi in particular maybe doesn't get enough credit. But as others have mentioned, Sun Ce's recklessness was the cause to his untimely end.

For a commander in a long campaign I'd love to have Lu Xun, Lu Meng or Deng Ai for the many reasons that have already been discussed.
(I won't pretend I'm not Wu biased^^)

Just reading through this thread makes me wonder how so many great ones, almost larger than life types could exist in the same period and same region of the world. But I guess that's why we are all fans of 3K :mrgreen:
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium