Top 10 Generals of the period

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Top 10 Generals of the period

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:31 am

Yeah I thought of starting a thread but I would have to think for a while to come up with ten. Because it is kind of a unique way to think about talent, or lack thereof.

I personally don't think tossing people who had one-off losses is that fair. But then what if their reputation precedes them? I mean, tossing Ma Su in seems a bit much, but I would certainly think that Yan Liang would make the list, even though both only really are involved in one battle that we know of.

Jiang Wei was an idiot about the big picture but he did manage a victory or two, not sure about him.

Did Liu Shan even ever lead an army? That's like saying Yan Jun is a crap general. The guy couldn't even ride a horse, and never led men.

I think a "Your Ten Least Favorite Generals" might be better since it is more clearly subjective.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:18 am

Zyzyfer wrote:tossing Ma Su in seems a bit much,

Honestly I think the blame should lie more with Zhuge Liang, he let his personal relationship with Ma Su interfere with his judgment and paid for it.

Anywho, my top ten:

1. Xu Huang: The man didn't have a single defeat while serving under Wei. Nearly 30 years filled with nothing but military success, often accompanied by unfavorable odds and excellent strategy on his part.
2. The Man (Cao Cao): An excellent general and tactician, only brought down by a select few incidents (initial battles at Tong, campaigns at Wan, Chibi).
3. Ma Long: Sort of pushing the limits of the period, but an excellent general nonetheless.
4. Zhang He: A well-rounded mix of general and tactician. Very successful in his long career with Wei.
5. Deng Ai: Other than his strike at Chengdu, which was a risky but ultimately successful gambit, he was also able to defeat Jiang Wei at every turn when they met in combat and was a master of using terrain to his advantage.
6. Zhang Liao: His raid at Hefei definitely earns him a spot here. He was also another Wei general with a long and successful career.
7. Ding Feng: For his raid at Xuteng and for his other successes against Wei during Zhuge Dan's rebellion.
8. Cao Zhen: One of Wei's best generals in the later years. Handled Shu's invasions very well.
9. Wang Ping: One of Shu's best generals, especially defensively.
10. Huangfu Song: One of the Han's last, late great generals. Did a good deal to take down the Yellow Turbans quickly despite a disadvantage in numbers.
Honorable mention: Zhou Yu, Gan Ning, Sun Ce, Yu Jin, Yue Jin, Zhang Fei, Li Yan, Guo Huai, among others.

Wei bias? I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about...
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Qu Hui wrote:Wei bias? I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about...

Hmm, understatement? :wink:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby ROTKobsessed » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:33 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:I think a "Your Ten Least Favorite Generals" might be better since it is more clearly subjective.

it'd also be possible to have a 'ten most overrated generals'
'Never was anything great achieved without danger.' - Niccolo Machiavelli
ROTKobsessed
Academic

Unread postby Boydie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:38 pm

ROTKobsessed wrote:
Zyzyfer wrote:I think a "Your Ten Least Favorite Generals" might be better since it is more clearly subjective.

I wonder how high Zhang Liao would be on that. :wink:
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:44 pm

Boydie wrote:
ROTKobsessed wrote:

I wonder how high Zhang Liao would be on that. :wink:

Not very high, he is worth his reputation :P .

There's this old Overrated/underated thread which you could look through for idea's.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Boydie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:58 pm

I know haha! I was shamelessly fishing! :lol:
Boydie
Academic

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:30 am

ROTKobsessed wrote:

I phrased that wrong. See that's why I didn't create the thread, I can't even come up with a proper title. :lol:

"Subjectively Ten Least Talented Generals" doesn't have the right ring to it, no?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:22 pm

An excellent general and tactician, only brought down by a select few incidents (initial battles at Tong, campaigns at Wan, Chibi).

You could add a lot more to this list. He nearly lost his life in a disastrous and foolish attack against Xu Rong at Rongyang. While scouting Yellow Turban remnants in Qing province, he ran into the enemy's main army and one of his closest allies was killed. He was captured by enemy troops in battle with Lu Bu at Puyang. He was lucky to have survived a mutiny by his own troops shortly after Yang province. If you consider the numerous men from this period who died in mutinies: Zhang Miao, Zhang Fei, Zhong Hui, Zhuge Liang's uncle I think, it's a miracle Cao Cao got out of that event alive.

Cao Cao was a great general but he wasn't very cautious. He was extremely reckless in his early career. It was incredible fortune that allowed him to survive the era after numerous incidents that nearly led to his death.

I can't think of a top 10 at the moment but I'd rate Xu Rong, Qu Yi and Sun Ce highly.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Qu Hui wrote:1. Xu Huang: The man didn't have a single defeat while serving under Wei. Nearly 30 years filled with nothing but military success, often accompanied by unfavorable odds and excellent strategy on his part.

Well, almost undefeated; he was Cao Ren's assistant at Jiangling 208 (which they lost despite having triple wu's troops).

He does have a very good record, though.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium