Zhuge Liang's successor

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhuge Liang's successor

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:12 am

So, my question is, if you could be Zhuge Liang at his last dieing moments, who would you make as your successor? Of course, i know many of you will say Jiang Wan probably, he is a good choice, but other then him and Fei Yi, who would you make successor? :D
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Zhuge Liang's successor

Unread postby GuoBia » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:38 am

That's a good point.... Not a whole lot of people are totally in love with Jiang Wei if you know what I mean. As much as a lot of us like hating on him, who was a better choice?

In all honesty, I think that it's less of a matter of competence than a matter of political ideology and who would continue Zhuge Liang's line of thought and work. Jiang Wei shared many, especially concerning foreign policy and aggression. Wouldn't you say Zhuge Liang thought he would be good?
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:59 am

GuoBia, I think Xia is more referring to the historical successor being Jiang Wan

I do think Jiang Wan and Fei Yi were overly cautoius but it's hard to see a successor who could have done better
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Wang Ping?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:19 pm

Nobody could did what Zhuge Liang did in the amount of multitasking. Wang Ping is good militarily and Jiang Wan/Fei Yi were good with civil matters. Zhuge Liang literally worked himself to death.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Wang Ping?

Wasn't he considered narrowminded and arrogant? That might be a problem
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:42 pm

Just a small one Dong :lol:

He could have set Jiang Wan up as civil head and Wang Ping as military head. Best of both.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm

How bout if Kongming left Wei Yan in charge of military affairs assisted by Wang Ping, and Jiang Wan in charge of civil affairs?
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:07 pm

I don't think Wei Yan's plan would have worked and I think even worse it would have left Shu vunerable to attack. So I don't think that would help. Especially since I can't see him listening to others advice!
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:01 pm

Sun Fin wrote:I don't think Wei Yan's plan would have worked and I think even worse it would have left Shu vunerable to attack. So I don't think that would help. Especially since I can't see him listening to others advice!

Yeah, his personality wasn't all that great. But I want to see what would happen. Would Yang Yi rebel? Would Jiang Wei still be the successor afterward?
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium