Cao Cao Favorable Editions of Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Cao Favorable Editions of Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:09 am

I was wondering if there were any editions that favored sun quan or cao cao. Another thing I want to mention is it possible to buy the mao edition of the novel?
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: cao cao favored editions of romance of the three kingdoms

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:06 am

Hah, good luck.

The earlier versions were a bit more sympathetic to Cao Cao. (But not noticeably) Shu was still the protagonist and the actions of Shu generals and strategists greatly exaggerated.

Nothing ever has been too sympathetic to Wu. Not even the original histories.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:21 am

Rafe de Crespigny's work: 'Generals of the South' is comprehensive and it focuses on Wu. It is historically based. Obviously it is not as well known as the novel and the SGZ. It is nonetheless an excellent priece of work and does help form a balance between the novel that favours Shu and history that favours Wei.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:04 am

I thought he meant versions of SGYY. Not none fiction works.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Crazedmongoose wrote:I thought he meant versions of SGYY. Not none fiction works.

He did i know. I was just saying that there is a piece of work, though it is non-fiction, that gives a Wu perspective on the period. Just in case he wanted to know.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:15 pm

That sounds interesting, where can I get it? And is there anyway I can get the mao edition? It said in the afterward of my version of the novel that the mao edition is more sympathetic towards cao cao than normal.It also includes more poems and stuff like that laminating cao cao's officers and advisors
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:22 pm

The English translation, as well as basically every edition out there, is the Mao edition. The edition before that is called Sanguo Zhi Tongsu Yanyi, and is often known as the "TS" edition in English works. It's hard to come by even in Chinese (I'd say it's an uncommon, not a rare, since there's a recent printing). I wouldn't say it's pro-Wei, but at least it's neutral towards Cao Cao.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Rafe's work is avaliable online here:
http://asianstudies.anu.edu.au/Early_Imperial_China

Hard copies of 'Generals of The South' is out of print and will put you about £250 out of pocket.

I think 'Man from the Margin: Cao Cao and the Three Kingdoms 'is sympathetic to Cao Cao...
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:19 pm

Wait no. The Mao edition is absolutely not more sympathetic to Cao Cao. Since it is the standard version.

To be honest sympathetic works to Cao Cao kind of dried up by the Tang dynasty. None of the SGYY versions can be said to be sympathetic to Cao Cao, though some are LESS biased against Cao Cao. For example, LGZ's original was less biased against Cao Cao than Mao's version.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby S.Teague » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:52 pm

Hey, who is this Mao that you keep mentioning? My copy of Rof3K says it was writtin by Luo Guanzhong, translated by C.H. Brewitt-Taylor. It's a brand new book that I ordered thru books-a-million, and I had thought it was the "standard" version. It's dated to have been writtin in the 14th century. Are there other versions of the book that are also called 'The Romance of Three Kingdoms'?
S.Teague
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium