New Three Kingdoms TV Series (2010) Discussion

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: New Three Kingdoms TV Series (2010) Discussion

Unread postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:59 pm

capricornkid28 wrote:
Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:It's been a few years since I've seen this, but I remember this show was pretty successful in butchering Lord Guan's character.

At least he wasn't portrayed as a borderline inbred manchild, a la Zhang Fei. They really made me hate Ma Su, though that one was certainly intentional.

Well the fact that something else was done worse doesn't automatically mean the first thing that was done bad is now good. But I digress.
Ultimate_Nova_X
Academic

Unread postby capricornkid28 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:08 pm

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:
capricornkid28 wrote:
Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:It's been a few years since I've seen this, but I remember this show was pretty successful in butchering Lord Guan's character.

At least he wasn't portrayed as a borderline inbred manchild, a la Zhang Fei. They really made me hate Ma Su, though that one was certainly intentional.

Well the fact that something else was done worse doesn't automatically mean the first thing that was done bad is now good. But I digress.

Total justification and pardoning isn't what I was implying. The juxtaposition with Guan Yu persona was just bring light to others who I perceive as flawed.

For the record: In the context of the novel, I don't think they did too poor of a job on Yunchang.
capricornkid28
Apprentice

Unread postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:09 am

capricornkid28 wrote:Total justification and pardoning isn't what I was implying. The juxtaposition with Guan Yu persona was just bring light to others who I perceive as flawed.

Fair enough.
capricornkid28 wrote:For the record: In the context of the novel, I don't think they did too poor of a job on Yunchang.

Even within the context of the novel they did a terrible job.

There's also a running gag (which seems to be evident many times throughout the series) is that the director never read the novel. :lol:
Ultimate_Nova_X
Academic

Unread postby AxeLordGerardo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:14 am

I don't like this series that much with no Yellow Turbans, so many references to the "fame" of Yuan Shao, but missing his best moments, like when serving He Jin, or opposing Dong Zhuo at the court, and where is Ju Shou and the campaign against Gongsun Zan? So many things missing in this series...
Cao Cao - Liu Bei - Sun Jian - Yuan Shao
AxeLordGerardo
Student

Unread postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:34 am

AxeLordGerardo wrote:I don't like this series that much with no Yellow Turbans, so many references to the "fame" of Yuan Shao, but missing his best moments, like when serving He Jin, or opposing Dong Zhuo at the court, and where is Ju Shou and the campaign against Gongsun Zan? So many things missing in this series...

Really, the only thing going for it was the large budget.
Ultimate_Nova_X
Academic

Unread postby Nazne » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:17 pm

AxeLordGerardo wrote:I don't like this series that much with no Yellow Turbans, so many references to the "fame" of Yuan Shao, but missing his best moments, like when serving He Jin, or opposing Dong Zhuo at the court, and where is Ju Shou and the campaign against Gongsun Zan? So many things missing in this series...

The thing to keep in mind is that the focus of this series is different from the novel and history, period. The director specifically wanted to portray events which involved most of the three kingdoms and their founders, which is why even Zhuge Liang's pacification campaigns in the south, something Chinese viewers were clamoring to see, were omitted. Yuan Shao is much less of a draw than ZGL to Chinese audiences; there's no way this series would have found the room to put his own off-to-the-side campaigns in there.

It's a valid complaint that this series simplified many TK events. But at the same time as a massive project directed towards a broad audience, it has to strike a balance between keeping viewers who grew up on pure RoTK stories and are used to heroic Shu portrayals, viewers who know the history or want a different perspective, and viewers who've likely never heard of the TK (read: Eastern European audiences, where this series has been playing). The first group will riot if any significant deviation from the novel story is introduced; the second group will riot IF the novel is adhered to faithfully; and the third group will not watch at all if the story becomes too splintered by hundreds of side characters. In a lose-lose situation like this, I think the series did a damn good job at keeping a coherent story running and establishing memorable characters.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 am

Nazne wrote:It's a valid complaint that this series simplified many TK events. But at the same time as a massive project directed towards a broad audience, it has to strike a balance between keeping viewers who grew up on pure RoTK stories and are used to heroic Shu portrayals, viewers who know the history or want a different perspective, and viewers who've likely never heard of the TK (read: Eastern European audiences, where this series has been playing). The first group will riot if any significant deviation from the novel story is introduced; the second group will riot IF the novel is adhered to faithfully; and the third group will not watch at all if the story becomes too splintered by hundreds of side characters. In a lose-lose situation like this, I think the series did a damn good job at keeping a coherent story running and establishing memorable characters.

Here here. I completely concur with what you stated Nazne. Especially the underlined.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby AxeLordGerardo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:38 am

The coherent story was already made. And there are more than a lot of memorable characters to be mentioned. I know the importance of the 3 kingdoms foundation, but if you put all sides of the story, put them well. 3K period starts when Shu Han is stablished so for a follower of any of the rest of warlords this is an important dissapoint. They ve made a great work with the diferent locations, battlefields, castles, palace decorations and scenes, but, ROTK, means that, Romance Of the Three Kingdoms. The series is novel-based, so i don't see the point to exclude many of the duels and situations of the novel, i say again.

We see how Hua Xiong slays Pan Feng and the others before Guan Yu dispatches him, and i cannot see how Yan Liang shows his army and slays Song Xian and Wei Xu. Why to avoid that action parts?

They put an actor as Gongsun Zan that appears in the Alliance scene, and after that, talking with Liu Bei when Zhao Zilong joins his side, and they don’t extend his role until the battle with Yuan Shao? What is this?

I wanted to see Gongsun Zan skills, and his White Raiders, and the duel between Wen Chou against Zhao Yun.
Of course that i am that dissapointed. Understand me. During 3 Kingdoms, the story literally bores me to death.
Cao Cao - Liu Bei - Sun Jian - Yuan Shao
AxeLordGerardo
Student

Unread postby Han-Hyo-Joo » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:39 am

WOW. I Love Lady Chan... :D
She is Very Beauty... :oops:

Blog : http://www.kdrama.ir
Upload : http://www.up.kdrama.ir
Han-Hyo-Joo
Tyro

Previous