New Three Kingdoms TV Series (2010) Discussion

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: New Three Kingdoms TV Series (2010) Discussion

Unread postby Zorkaz » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:48 am

I'm actually missing the Nanman part in the new series and the Yellow Turban part in both series. It's a pity they didn't care to make it.
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Zorkaz wrote:I'm actually missing the Nanman part in the new series and the Yellow Turban part in both series. It's a pity they didn't care to make it.

The actors braved the summer heat and filmed in "tin cans" and if they had to do the Nanman part, it will mean surviving tropical heat and mosquitoes??? Have pity on them!!

The whole Nanman story to me is another Zhuge Liang propaganda. To film it will take even more focus away from the somewhat neglected Wu or Wei storyline. Yet, the ending itself is already very rushed. It felt like the filming crew got sick of the story after Zhuge Liang died and decided Three Kingdoms should also end with his death. :?
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby Jolt » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:55 pm

Starscream wrote:The actors braved the summer heat and filmed in "tin cans" and if they had to do the Nanman part, it will mean surviving tropical heat and mosquitoes??? Have pity on them!!

Aren't they supposed to be professionals?
Jolt
Master

Unread postby Starscream » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Jolt wrote:Aren't they supposed to be professionals?

Professionals, and humans, like anyone of us. :wink:
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Unread postby JessicaLeung » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:53 am

I'm so glad I still have the old series. I was watching the discussion of the Wu Scholars with Zhuge Liang 8-)
JessicaLeung
Tyro

Unread postby Zorkaz » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:38 pm

@JessicaLeung Yeah, that part was way better in the old version :) Actually anything Zhuge Kongming related.

What I miss from both series is the Yellow Turban Rebellion. It might have been a bit boring in the 2010 version, but it should have been mentioned. I mean it was an important part of Han Dynasty and one of the biggest peasant rebellions in history.
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby capricornkid28 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Yunchang had an excuse. He was shocked by the sheer power that Xu Huang displayed in his strike and his utter uselessness to defend against Wei. Then the fact that he was running for his life from Lu Meng had him despair into going grey.

This may be a romanticized tale, but I still found it rather silly. Kind of killed the mood for me. Luckily it didn't last, as the next episode moved right onto to Cao Wei's own tale of heartbreak.

capricornkid28
Apprentice

Unread postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:50 am

It's been a few years since I've seen this, but I remember this show was pretty successful in butchering Lord Guan's character.
Ultimate_Nova_X
Academic

Unread postby capricornkid28 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:55 pm

Ultimate_Nova_X wrote:It's been a few years since I've seen this, but I remember this show was pretty successful in butchering Lord Guan's character.

At least he wasn't portrayed as a borderline inbred manchild, a la Zhang Fei. They really made me hate Ma Su, though that one was certainly intentional.
capricornkid28
Apprentice

Unread postby Zorkaz » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:46 pm

I think Zhang Fei was nice, he just looks as I imagined him, when reading the novel. Of course the historical Zhang Fei is totally different.
Zorkaz
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium