New Three Kingdoms TV Series (2010) Discussion

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

New Three Kingdoms TV Series (2010) Discussion

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:10 am

My christmas present to this forum!

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ti7kx685Qc&feature=related
Dong Zhuo's tyranny
Character Introductions
Cao Cao's ambitions

Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqNYy-0mjEQ&feature=related
Battle of Guan Du

Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSueZGPwZs8&feature=related

Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlffTCPIjBM&feature=related

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TKA6SnHTE&feature=related

Part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=096Q0Mz6i3o&feature=related

Part 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA1L_1xYTSw&feature=related
Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu's enmity and friendship
Zhuge Liang faces off Sima Yi in the Northern Expeditions
Cao Cao's death

Part 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0E7BjNdNhQ&feature=fvw
Character Recap

disclaimer: They've done something REALLY bad here, and that's use gladiator music by Hans Zimmer in two parts in the trailer for some reason. I have no idea why, basically all the chinese youtube comments were flaming about that. I only hope the actual show uses an original score.

Anybody care to translate it with me? I tried doing it by myself but gave up after 3 minutes.

Some first impression comments. I LOVE the new Cao Cao.

Cao Cao is the cunning hero of chaos. But I found the old Cao Cao to just be cunning, not heroic. This new one is probably more on the heroic side. Sun Quan is now an actual three dimensional character! Hurrah! And also this is always the Sun Quan I pictured. In some ways Sun Quan is the most cunning, Machiavellian and mature hero of all the major ones (except Sima Yi). And to have him be a mediocre side hero as depicted by the previous I find unfair. Sun Quan is in some ways the most dangerous of the three leaders. Sun Shangxiang's new depiction I also find good. And the new Sima Yi looks incredible. The old one was just a run of the mill antagonist, this new one has some real character.

The new Lu Bu seems kinda bullcrap though. And the new Zhuge Liang isn't too hot either. Also not too keen on the new Zhou Yu.
Last edited by Crazedmongoose on Thu May 20, 2010 3:58 am, edited 9 times in total.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: 30 Minute Long Trailer from New Three Kingdoms!

Unread postby GuoBia » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:23 am

Goodness, are they going off of the novel or history? I can't understand a lick of thing!

Who's who? :O I hope Cao Cao's the sexually-attractive mature man I thought he was in the trailer.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:10 am

It's an intensely personal interpretation which is a mix between the novel and history.

Note how they used "Three Kingdoms" as the title, instead of "Romance of the Three Kingdoms".

This is by far the kindest portrayal Cao Cao has ever received since like...the Jin dynasty.

Anyway, to explain, Cao Cao is the very masculine man who first appears at around 0.59 in part one. He has an awesome line at 3.58 in part 1.

"Had the world not possessed Cao Cao, who knows how many people would be emperors and kings by now?
I, Cao Cao, am not the type of person they slander me to be!"

Actually almost ALL the best lines I feel are from him.

"Right now, Yuan Shao has gathered 700,000 men
Of the nine provinces in the world he controls four
You can say his power has echoed through the heavens
Yet
to beat him, I need only 70,000 elite troops
Because soldiers don't need to be numerous
Only elite
Generals do not need to be brave
Only strategic
If I were to compare the number of generals and troops, I would never match Yuan Shao
BUT
To compare skill and strategy
Three Yuan Benchu's tied together, cannot compare to one Cao Mengde!"

and then later

"If I were you, I'd never sue for peace with Cao Mengde
I would only erect for him a grave of lime stone
Because if Cao Mengde even has one breath in him
He will never be defeated in battle!"

All in all, Cao Cao is just ridiculously badass in this adaptation.

Conversely Cao Pi gets a ridiculously bad portrayal from what I can see. He's the consummate villain plotting against everybody.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Crazedmongoose wrote:It's an intensely personal interpretation which is a mix between the novel and history.

I hope they update the English dictionary with this definition for "Bastardization."

I think we've seen this trailer a couple of months ago, but it was on a chinese server so it loads faster now.

My reaction is still VERY mixed.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:28 am

All derivative works are a personal interpretation and should be judged on their own merits. Without your so called "bastardization" culture and the arts would never advance. Shakespeare bastardized old legends to make MacBeth and King Lear. Disney bastardized Shakespeare to make Lion King. Ridley Scott bastardized "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" to make Blade Runner. Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower in no way resembles Dylan's version.

It's not an inherent vice to be unfaithful to the source material. If you're going to be wholly faithful then why make anything at all? It's also arrogant to say something *shouldn't* be remade or whatever, because it smacks of elitism. It restricts accessibility to the arts and it also assumes a work of art/culture is already perfect and we shouldn't strive for improvement.

/rant

Sorry I just get really annoyed whenever people badmouth remakes for trying different things.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuoBia » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:55 am

I'm somewhere in the middle of agreement with Crazedmongoose 'cause admittedly, the novel itself seems to go along the lines of interpretation, which seems to be what everyone's doing. I guess 'bastardization' is when so-and-so does a bad interpretation, and 'derivative work' is a good interpretation? I'll be very glad that they're not sticking completely to the book though.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:59 am

I'm not saying derivative works are necessarily good. Heaven knows lots of them, if not most of them, are pretty terrible. But that's not the point. It's about the spirit of trying, or else nobody gets anywhere.

Also of course the novel is a derivative work of actual history, much like when Shakespeare wrote the War of the Roses cycle. Almost EVERYTHING is a derivative work, the only difference is degrees. They may be straight out remakes or they may just draw heavily from previous works.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:16 am

Crazedmongoose wrote:All derivative works are a personal interpretation and should be judged on their own merits. Without your so called "bastardization" culture and the arts would never advance. Shakespeare bastardized old legends to make MacBeth and King Lear. Disney bastardized Shakespeare to make Lion King. Ridley Scott bastardized "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" to make Blade Runner. Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower in no way resembles Dylan's version.

It's not an inherent vice to be unfaithful to the source material. If you're going to be wholly faithful then why make anything at all? It's also arrogant to say something *shouldn't* be remade or whatever, because it smacks of elitism. It restricts accessibility to the arts and it also assumes a work of art/culture is already perfect and we shouldn't strive for improvement.

/rant

Sorry I just get really annoyed whenever people badmouth remakes for trying different things.

Very well said.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Crazedmongoose wrote:All derivative works are a personal interpretation and should be judged on their own merits. Without your so called "bastardization" culture and the arts would never advance. Shakespeare bastardized old legends to make MacBeth and King Lear. Disney bastardized Shakespeare to make Lion King. Ridley Scott bastardized "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" to make Blade Runner. Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower in no way resembles Dylan's version.

Your examples are extremely silly. Lion King is called Lion King, not MacBeth and King Lear. Your choices are clearly works inspired by it and is in no way a representation of the original work. These are truly personal interpretations, and I had no problem with them. What we're looking at isn't a personal interperetation like The Lion King. What we're looking at is something called Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, not Flying Burning Chinese Armor.

It's not an inherent vice to be unfaithful to the source material. If you're going to be wholly faithful then why make anything at all?

If they're not faithful, why make it at all? Why not add flying robots and lasers? Why make it based on something if you're going to butcher it to the point where you won't recognize it? Why not come up with something truly original?

You ever seen that episode in Family Guy where Peter directed the play King and I? Why not make it into something like that?

Here's a very odd version of the clip remixed by fans. I couldn't find the full episode on Hulu or youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSEnmUXBxl0
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby GuoBia » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Well, the novel and folktales weren't exactly faithful to history itself if you know what I mean! Wouldn't like an sci-fi adaptation of Three Kingdoms be pretty cool though? I mean, like they're all fighting for a corner of the solar system and like Lu Bu's a special kind of cyborg or something and the capital is inside the sun- okay, that's a really bad example but you get what I mean, right? That would be an interpretation, right? I think it would be pretty cool; I wouldn't mind it!
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium