Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby Zappa » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:04 am

Yeah,your right and that would mean that Zhang Fei would be the better overall warrior.

Hard to belive for a Guan Yu fan. :(
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:12 pm

If we're going by the novel Guan Yu also had the five gates/six generals business, that should count in his favour.

Oh man this is like what I thought about when I was a kid. "Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Zhao Yun, Ma Chao vs. Xu Chu, Dian Wei, Xiahou Dun, Zhang Liao" or something.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby tofu » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Hey thats a good one! I'm going to put it in the vs. thread. :D
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:19 am

tofu wrote:Hey thats a good one! I'm going to put it in the vs. thread. :D

I think though that by the novel the Shu generals would have the upper hand in that match since Zhang Liao was I think demonstratably a lesser warrior than Guan Yu. ie. Zhang Liao was the weakest link.

Maybe replace Zhang Liao with Zhang He. I think Zhang He was equal to Zhao Yun a number of times?
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:34 am

Crazedmongoose wrote:

I think though that by the novel the Shu generals would have the upper hand in that match since Zhang Liao was I think demonstratably a lesser warrior than Guan Yu. ie. Zhang Liao was the weakest link.

Maybe replace Zhang Liao with Zhang He. I think Zhang He was equal to Zhao Yun a number of times?

Interesting... But I think Zhao Yun is the better warrior... he is hampered with Liu Chan during his feats at Chang Ban so I think that he is careful during his encounter with Zhang He. :)
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:42 am

Lonely_dragon wrote:
Crazedmongoose wrote:

Interesting... But I think Zhao Yun is the better warrior... he is hampered with Liu Chan during his feats at Chang Ban so I think that he is careful during his encounter with Zhang He. :)

Yeah but in THAT engagement Zhang He actually BEAT Zhao Yun until the freak jumping out of ditch incident which made Zhang He back off.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:44 am

Crazedmongoose wrote:
Lonely_dragon wrote:
Crazedmongoose wrote:I think though that by the novel the Shu generals would have the upper hand in that match since Zhang Liao was I think demonstratably a lesser warrior than Guan Yu. ie. Zhang Liao was the weakest link.

Yeah but in THAT engagement Zhang He actually BEAT Zhao Yun until the freak jumping out of ditch incident which made Zhang He back off.

...All of which did not happen historically. The Zhang He-Zilong fight and the freak escape, I mean. Though in all fairness, you're talking about novel-wise, in which I think that Zhao Yun probably would have won in a fair fight.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:49 am

Well when we're talking about strength and martial prowess in my opinion the historical records are probably not indicative of anything. So I just assumed we're talking novel.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:32 am

Crazedmongoose wrote:Well when we're talking about strength and martial prowess in my opinion the historical records are probably not indicative of anything. So I just assumed we're talking novel.

Well perhaps at the time he was rather tired after riding to and fro of the enemy ranks and are quite spent aside of that Zilong too worried about Liu Shan's safety so that he retreated... anyhow...

No matter if compared with Zhang Fei I think Zhao Zilong would still bellow in terms of strength against the fiery Zhang Fei... :D
"Know yourself Know your enemy you can win 100 battles, Know yourself and know not the enemy find win and defeat in equal measures, Know not yourself and know not the enemy defeated in every battle." Sun Tzu
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Lonely_dragon wrote:No matter if compared with Zhang Fei I think Zhao Zilong would still bellow in terms of strength against the fiery Zhang Fei... :D

Zhang Fei? my favorite general :D ..start his career as a butcher, follow Liu Bei from the beginning. Not a scholar but eager to read and study military books. Like his honesty, but dislike in how he treat his subordinates when get drunk. Compare to Guan Yu who defeat Yan Liang and Wen Chou, the two bandits who is not reading book of war...Zhang Fei face Yan Yan and Zhang He. Both of them was experience in war and study military books.
After Chang Ban bridge's episode, Zhang Fei never lost in battle.
(this is novel version guys :D )

Compare to Zhao Yun, Zhao Yun still bellow. The one who can match him only Lu Bu.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium