Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby tofu » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:15 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:In fairness, this is a novel topic judging by what the author said

Guan Yu was acting nonchalant in the novel after killing Yan Liang, might have been galling for Wei to be going "Wow, that was amazing" then hearing Guan Yu go "oh that's nothing, you should see what the other guy can do". Bear in mind Zhang Fei was an able warrior at the time and had some fame so it wasn't going to be dismissed out of hand, don't it as anything more then a little psychological thing.

Fast forward anther ten years, and Guan Yu wouldn't be saying "Oh that was nothing :P " He'd be saying "Well I am the best"
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
tofu
Scholar

Unread postby dpradis » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:42 am

Zhang Fei was stronger than Guan Yu, not better, but stronger yes. Why won't you just admit it, tofu? :lol:
dpradis
Assistant

Unread postby James » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm

dpradis wrote:Zhang Fei was stronger than Guan Yu, not better, but stronger yes. Why won't you just admit it, tofu? :lol:

Based on what? I'm curious.
You're certainly arguing the norm from the novel perspective, though. Even Koei usually awards Zhang Fei one more point of strength than Guan Yu, and Zhang Fei is usually portrayed second to only Lü Bu in strength. It still seems strange to see a strong argument for who was 'stronger' of two clearly powerful generals when we know so little about the physical characteristics of these generals. It is entirely likely that Guan Yu may have been physically stronger than Zhang Fei.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby jiang cheng » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:29 am

I believe that there are some truth in it. I might not have been a Guan Yu fanboys and I am known to slam the fanboys.

I believe that he would have truly believe that Zhang Fei was stronger than him, he felt indebt to Cao Cao to have leak the information that Zhang Fei was stronger than him. I felt that he has no reason to lie about such things. Especially coming from someone with big ego.

Zhang Fei was the first of the brothers to challenge Lu Bu and bouts for several rounds before Guan Yu and Liu Bei joined in. His strength and ability is definitely without a doubt.

Some years ago i read that Zhang Fei might have been handsome and intelligent and not the way that LGZ or Koei made him to be.
jiang cheng
Scholar

Unread postby tofu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:23 am

jiang cheng wrote:I believe that there are some truth in it. I might not have been a Guan Yu fanboys and I am known to slam the fanboys.

I believe that he would have truly believe that Zhang Fei was stronger than him, he felt indebt to Cao Cao to have leak the information that Zhang Fei was stronger than him. I felt that he has no reason to lie about such things. Especially coming from someone with big ego.

Zhang Fei was the first of the brothers to challenge Lu Bu and bouts for several rounds before Guan Yu and Liu Bei joined in. His strength and ability is definitely without a doubt.

Some years ago i read that Zhang Fei might have been handsome and intelligent and not the way that LGZ or Koei made him to be.

Guan Yu's ego grew over the years, and at that point he was not arrogant, just very, very proud. He told Wei that Zhang Fei was stronger than him because he knew how highly they thought of himself, and he wanted to dampen their morale by telling them that Shu had more, even stronger warriors on their side, and that they were a force to be reckoned with.

The three brothers did not fight Lu Bu in history.

LGZ did make Zhang Fei seem like a but of a buffoon which is not true. Zhang Fei was a highly intelligent man, and definately not a drunkard.
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

tofu
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:06 am

you include part of the novel then point out other parts are non historical?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby tofu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:51 am

Dong Zhou wrote:you include part of the novel then point out other parts are non historical?

What do you mean by that,Dong Zhuo?

tofu
Scholar

Unread postby Qu Hui » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:55 am

tofu wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:you include part of the novel then point out other parts are non historical?

What do you mean by that,Dong Zhuo?

The whole "Guan Yu telling Cao Cao to fear Zhang Fei" event was a novel event.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:56 am

You use novel here
He told Wei that Zhang Fei was stronger than him because he knew how highly they thought of himself, and he wanted to dampen their morale by telling them that Shu had more, even stronger warriors on their side, and that they were a force to be reckoned with.

then go history here

The three brothers did not fight Lu Bu in history.

LGZ did make Zhang Fei seem like a but of a buffoon which is not true. Zhang Fei was a highly intelligent man, and definately not a drunkard.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby tofu » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:11 am

Ahh right. Ma bad. All this novel-history stuff cloggs up my single brain cell. XD

tofu
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium