Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby mrbeate » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:05 am

Im opening up this topic to discuss who is the better warrior of the 2.

Zhang Fei or Guan Yu.

Many of you say Guan Yu will beat Zhang Fei, but why? Zhang Fei was known to have the strength of 10 000 soldiers and famed for his Loud Roars or war cries. In one stroke defeated Deng Mao the chosen champion of the Yellow Turbans to face with Zhang Fei. He was the only one recorded to fight Lu Bu to the end without dieing or retreating. Yide faced Cao Cao's 100 000 soldiers with only 20 men of his at Chang Ban Po, and scared Cao Cao's soldiers shitless with his roar.

While Guan Yu also have great reputation and feats. Known as the God of War for being a mighty warrior and general in battle yet kind. Killed Yan Liang in one stroke (Some say it was a cheap shot) And has proved his skills as a warrior many times.

But the one thing is Guan Yu admitted to Cao Cao's army that the only person stronger then him is Zhang Fei. I know a some of you say that Guan Yu wanted to tell Cao Cao that Liu Bei has some able personnel with him, but saying that your own brother is stronger then you is not to be lied about. If Guan Yu said that and Cao Cao, had found out it was not true then it would make Yide a laughing stock.

For all we know we have to take Guan Yu's word for it.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
User avatar
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:05 am

Well I see what you mean. Although I've always thought Guan Yu was generally more level headed and better suited to leading an army, I've always considered Zhang Fei to be the stronger fighter, even if only slightly. One of the reasons I've thought this is, as you said, the fact that he confronted Lu Bu alone on more then one occasion and was never defeated by him. In fact, I'm not sure exactly when this was at but I definitely remember Lu Bu purposefully avoiding Zhang Fei at one point because he feared his massive strength or something along those lines.

Possibly one of the reasons that Guan Yu is often considered above Zhang Fei is that he was much more consistent in that he did not get drunk and mess things up the way Zhang Fei sometimes did. Therefore Guan Yu was the more reliable of the two.
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
User avatar
Lord Chuff
Langzhong
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:15 am
Location: Blackwater Park

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby mrbeate » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Yes i agree Guan Yu is more reliable and a better general and better then Zhang Fei. All im saying is Zhang Fei is a lesser General of Guan Yu but a better Warrior then him.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
User avatar
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:33 am

While all the above is true, the two if set in a duel against each other would be an equal match.
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:14 pm
Location: Beirut, Lebanon

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby tofu » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:23 pm

Both men are incredibly strong warriors. I would say that they are pretty evenly matched. For example Guan Yu might be more charismatic than Zhang Fei, but he also loses points for being arrogant. Perhaps Zhang Fei was better at fist fighting, whereas Guan Yu might have been better at sword fighting. So I'm not taking sides in this thread. :P

mrbeate wrote:Im opening up this topic to discuss who is the better warrior of the 2.

Zhang Fei or Guan Yu.

Many of you say Guan Yu will beat Zhang Fei, but why? Zhang Fei was known to have the strength of 10 000 soldiers and famed for his Loud Roars or war cries. In one stroke defeated Deng Mao the chosen champion of the Yellow Turbans to face with Zhang Fei. He was the only one recorded to fight Lu Bu to the end without dieing or retreating. Yide faced Cao Cao's 100 000 soldiers with only 20 men of his at Chang Ban Po, and scared Cao Cao's soldiers shitless with his roar.

While Guan Yu also have great reputation and feats. Known as the God of War for being a mighty warrior and general in battle yet kind. Killed Yan Liang in one stroke (Some say it was a cheap shot) And has proved his skills as a warrior many times.

But the one thing is Guan Yu admitted to Cao Cao's army that the only person stronger then him is Zhang Fei. I know a some of you say that Guan Yu wanted to tell Cao Cao that Liu Bei has some able personnel with him, but saying that your own brother is stronger then you is not to be lied about. If Guan Yu said that and Cao Cao, had found out it was not true then it would make Yide a laughing stock.

For all we know we have to take Guan Yu's word for it.


Does anyone really think, if either of the two were put in the middle of ten thousand men, that they would be able to defeat all ten thousand of them, and not get killed themselves? As much as I would like to believe that, I would have to say no.

Even I would have to agree that we can't really judge Guan Yu's ability on him slaying Yan Liang, because it wasn't a proper duel, and Yan Liang wasn't prepared for the attack. Although it was quite brave of Guan Yu to charge straight into enemy lines.

Guan Yu may have told Cao Cao the truth, that Zhang Fei really was better than him, but then again, he may have been bluffing to scare the Wei army, and to hint at the fact that Shu had some very fine warriors on their side, and to dampen Wei's morale.

Lord Chuff wrote:Well I see what you mean. Although I've always thought Guan Yu was generally more level headed and better suited to leading an army, I've always considered Zhang Fei to be the stronger fighter, even if only slightly. One of the reasons I've thought this is, as you said, the fact that he confronted Lu Bu alone on more then one occasion and was never defeated by him. In fact, I'm not sure exactly when this was at but I definitely remember Lu Bu purposefully avoiding Zhang Fei at one point because he feared his massive strength or something along those lines.


Zhang Fei didn't really confront Lu Bu in real life. (Did he?)

Lord Chuff wrote:Possibly one of the reasons that Guan Yu is often considered above Zhang Fei is that he was much more consistent in that he did not get drunk and mess things up the way Zhang Fei sometimes did. Therefore Guan Yu was the more reliable of the two.


It annoys me when people say that Zhang Fei was a drunkard in real life. That was made up by LGZ. The historic Zhang Fei was actually quite a capable man, and he did not fly into drunken rages. He was very competent general, and an exellent fighter. Infact Zhang Fei was known for his painting and calligraphy; some say he may have even written a book.
"His head looks as though it was stuck on a pole for sale," said Guan Yu, just glancing over the army at his feet.

"O green-eyed boy! O purple-bearded rat! Do you know me?"
User avatar
tofu
Scholar
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:07 am
Location: Down Under

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby Lord Chuff » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 pm

tofu wrote:Zhang Fei didn't really confront Lu Bu in real life. (Did he?)


I don't know. I'm basing my arguments off the novel's version of things. A lot of people were 'pumped up' for the novel probably Lu Bu included haha.

It annoys me when people say that Zhang Fei was a drunkard in real life. That was made up by LGZ. The historic Zhang Fei was actually quite a capable man, and he did not fly into drunken rages. He was very competent general, and an exellent fighter. Infact Zhang Fei was known for his painting and calligraphy; some say he may have even written a book.


Well as I said I haven't read much of the historical versions so I'm basing things purely off the novel and I accept that what I say may not me accurate from the historical point of view. Weren't both Guan Yu and Zhang Fei vastly exaggerated and changed from their historical forms to their novel forms?
Good Lord, it's a cheeseburger!
User avatar
Lord Chuff
Langzhong
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:15 am
Location: Blackwater Park

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby Qu Hui » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:26 pm

tofu wrote:It annoys me when people say that Zhang Fei was a drunkard in real life. That was made up by LGZ. The historic Zhang Fei was actually quite a capable man, and he did not fly into drunken rages. He was very competent general, and an exellent fighter. Infact Zhang Fei was known for his painting and calligraphy; some say he may have even written a book.

It's true that Zhang Fei was not a drunkard, but Zhang Fei wasn't exactly a pillar of virtue, either. He was known to exsessively beat and execute his men, which lead to his death at the hands of Fan Qiang and Zhang Da.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
User avatar
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: #SoSZ, 24/7

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby mrbeate » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:33 pm

tofu wrote:Does anyone really think, if either of the two were put in the middle of ten thousand men, that they would be able to defeat all ten thousand of them, and not get killed themselves? As much as I would like to believe that, I would have to say no.


But to have a name or title or people to know you to have the strength of 10 thousand soldiers is a big one, its not easy to get to be known as that, and of course that one man cannot take on 10 000 soldiers but it means that you should not be underestimated and very fierce and skilled warrior.

tofu wrote:Guan Yu may have told Cao Cao the truth, that Zhang Fei really was better than him, but then again, he may have been bluffing to scare the Wei army, and to hint at the fact that Shu had some very fine warriors on their side, and to dampen Wei's morale.


The thing is Guan Yu was known to be the strongest warrior of that time, and Zhang Fei to be a drunkard, giving up his title of most strongest or skilled warrior to his youger and less known Brother is a huge deal. Im pretty sure Guan Yu wouldn't lie about that, and if Cao Cao found out it was not true he would say Yide is nothing and scorn him, does Guan Yu want that?
Also Shu wasn't even built, and Liu Bei had very little personnel that are capable. Cao Cao saw liu bei as a small threat to him as Liu Bei had nothing at the time, he would not think highly of him.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
User avatar
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:39 pm
Location: GTA

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby Qu Hui » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:36 pm

mrbeate wrote:
tofu wrote:Guan Yu may have told Cao Cao the truth, that Zhang Fei really was better than him, but then again, he may have been bluffing to scare the Wei army, and to hint at the fact that Shu had some very fine warriors on their side, and to dampen Wei's morale.


The thing is Guan Yu was known to be the strongest warrior of that time, and Zhang Fei to be a drunkard, giving up his title of most strongest or skilled warrior to his youger and less known Brother is a huge deal. Im pretty sure Guan Yu wouldn't lie about that, and if Cao Cao found out it was not true he would say Yide is nothing and scorn him, does Guan Yu want that?
Also Shu wasn't even built, and Liu Bei had very little personnel that are capable. Cao Cao saw liu bei as a small threat to him as Liu Bei had nothing at the time, he would not think highly of him.

Historically, Zhang Fei was not a drunkard, nor was he known to be one. As for the Guan Yu/Cao Cao incident where Guan Yu says that Yide is the better warrior, it is fictional.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
User avatar
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1796
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:34 pm
Location: #SoSZ, 24/7

Re: Zhang Fei the Stronger Warrior

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 pm

In fairness, this is a novel topic judging by what the author said

Guan Yu was acting nonchalant in the novel after killing Yan Liang, might have been galling for Wei to be going "Wow, that was amazing" then hearing Guan Yu go "oh that's nothing, you should see what the other guy can do". Bear in mind Zhang Fei was an able warrior at the time and had some fame so it wasn't going to be dismissed out of hand, don't it as anything more then a little psychological thing.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
User avatar
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou
 
Posts: 14697
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:32 pm
Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved