Dong Zhuo not only an evil tyrant?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Dong Zhuo not only an evil tyrant?

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:32 pm

I thought that He Jin employed Sun Jian, and i thought Cao Cao rebelled against DZ in Chen Liu.

Correct me if im wrong.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:52 pm

I don't think He Jin employed Sun Jian as such, individual commanders like Zhu Jun and Zhang Wen employed Jian. As for Cao Cao, that bit is correct
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:49 pm

Didn't Dong Zhuo also kill the economy with his influx of coins he made from tearing down and melting some Very archaic beautiful statues?

Also no mention yet of that farming town that was celebrating its festival when he ran in, killed all the men and carted off all the women and proclaimed that he had won a great victory over bandits?

I'd say those two crimes are a bit worse than nearly everything but burning Luo Yang to the ground.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:21 pm

He did muck up the economy with that error, not sure that was a crime.

Wasn't that the novel only?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Zappa » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:24 pm

Didn't Dong Zhuo also kill the economy with his influx of coins he made from tearing down and melting some Very archaic beautiful statues?

Im not sure if DZ really cared about anything else then his power, so if he did kill the economy than more by accident i guess.
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:27 am

Dong Zhou wrote:He did muck up the economy with that error, not sure that was a crime.

Wasn't that the novel only?

Surprisingly I don't *think* that event is even mentioned in the novel, I may be very wrong though.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Crazedmongoose » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:55 am

No the massacre of the village is mentioned in the novel. I'm not sure if it is in actual history. That's what Dong Zhou was referring to.

Whilst the mucking up of the economy is not mentioned in the novel.
Crazedmongoose
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 am

The massacre at the village (which was Yangcheng) did occour historically, according to the SGZ.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Wasn't that the novel only?

As far as I can remember that wasn't mentioned in the novel.
Interested in the history behind the novel? Find a list of english language Three Kingdom sources here.
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Sun Fin wrote:
Dong Zhou wrote:Wasn't that the novel only?

As far as I can remember that wasn't mentioned in the novel.

Chapter 4

Qu Hui wrote:The massacre at the village (which was Yangcheng) did occour historically, according to the SGZ.

Sorry :oops:

Which bio is it in? If it's Dong, can't find the passage so please could you quote it so I remember next time
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium