Guan Yus arrogance

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Guan Yus arrogance

Unread postby Zappa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:35 pm

While reading about Guan Yu beeing so arrogant and losing Jing because for that I had a idea for this thread.
It is to analyse the reasons of his arrogance and of course to talk about the greatest warrior in TK (in my opinion :D ).

To get things started we begin with the central question: when did Guan Yu became so arrogant?

I hope for your posts.
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Guan Yus arrogance

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Knowing he achieved a big reputation of success on the field, he began to be somewhat arrogant. He was respectful to those already with reputation of their abilities, such as Lu Meng, yet scornful of those still unknown, such as Lu Xun when he was just a scholar.
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Unread postby Stallion Fury » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:58 pm

I believe that Guan Yu always had a bit of arrogance somewhere. For one thing, he was well known to not respect authority above him. But I think his great downfall started after the entrusting of Jingzhou to him, which was clearly the result of his great skill.
Stallion Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby HowSwiftThySword » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:37 pm

Guan Yu was like a god back then. People feared the mere mention of his name. It's natural for him to be arrogant (though it led to his death :P).
Quote of the Day:

"Someday I'll strangle you with your own beard, Cao Cao!" - Dong Zhou
HowSwiftThySword
Scholar

Unread postby Stallion Fury » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:25 pm

He was respected highly, but that doesn't supply enough reason to be arrogrant, to the point where one would die because of it. Zhuge Liang was also treated as the wisest man in the entire land, but I don't believe he was that arrogant - he only had self-confidence.
Stallion Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zappa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:56 pm

I think the probleme was that Guan Yu was with Liu Bei from the very beginning.They had nothing and at teir highest point his brother was emperor and he commander in chief and ruler of Jing of course taht made him a bit arrogant but tahts probably still not the reason.
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stallion Fury » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 pm

Oh, so you mean that he became arrogrant because his closest brother became an emperor?
Stallion Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zappa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:47 pm

No what I meant is that at the beginnig he was a nobody just like his brothers but he made it to one of the highest man in the Shu empire. Zhuge for example wasnt arrogant although he was treated like the wisest man in the land but he wasnt a nobody when Liu Bei recruted him.I just think Guan Yu was very proud that he brought it thus far and thus thought his success goes on and on what made him arrogant.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stallion Fury » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 pm

Hm, you have a good point, but then Liu Bei was a nobody, too. At least Guan Yu had shown his skill by killing the local bully, but Liu Bei was only a straw shoe seller. Also, mostly those with some rank get arrogant, such as Ma Su or Zhou Yu.
Stallion Fury
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zappa » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Yes Liu Bei was a nobody too and he also became arrogant with the years Yi Ling is a act that proves that.But your right with your rank point.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium