Aside from Mengde, who was the best of the Caos?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Ren
36%
Cao Hong
10%
Cao Ang
2%
Cao Pi
16%
Cao Zhang
6%
Cao Zhi
11%
Cao Rui
11%
Other
7%

Total votes : 81

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:45 am

So yes, who was the best of the Cao family? Now, most of you would probably vote for Cao Cao (as I would), so in the hopes that the poll results will not be overly skewed and also so that we might perhaps get a little diversity in the responses and debates, I have left Mengde out. I am eager to learn what you guys think about the Cao family, since Cao Cao is discussed more than his realtives. And yes, "the best of the Caos" is an intentionally vauge question ;)
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Dennis » Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:07 am

I voted for Cao Zhang, although little is know about him.

From what I have read, he is an honourable man, who more than inherited his father's commanding prowice, and if hadn't being poisoned by his brother, could have made an awesome ruler someday, the only thing I fear is he didn''t have the charisma of Cao Cao, but he could have had the loyalty of all his fathers men, at least I think he could have... too bad he was poisoned by that weasel of a brother...
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Harimau » Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:26 am

I Like that smart kid, Cao Chong. His feat of measuring the weight of an elephant still impresses me to no end, especially when it was the work of a 10 year old kid. I wonder what the fate of Wei and the Three Kingdoms would have been had he lived.
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Cao Zhi » Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:33 am

Well, I voted for Cao Zhi (big suprise there ;)). He was very intelligent, a lover of life, and a master writer and poet. His alcoholism is a bad hit against him, but all bad things can be worked on. When you are as intelligent as he was, the sky is the limit to what you can accomplish. When threatened with death at the hands of his brother Cao Pi, Cao Zhi's proven ability to crank out poems upon his brothers's command was most impressive.
Cao Zhi
Princely Poet of Wei

Unread postby Han Xin » Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:38 am

Harimau wrote:I Like that smart kid, Cao Chong. His feat of measuring the weight of an elephant still impresses me to no end, especially when it was the work of a 10 year old kid. I wonder what the fate of Wei and the Three Kingdoms would have been had he lived.

I don't know why people like Cao Chong for, just because he was a child prodigy does not mean he would grow up to be a genius. Just look at Zhuge Ke, he was also known to be brilliant as a kid, but achieve nothing. Or maybe Zhuge Ke only prepresent the norms of the Zhuge's clan (promise so much, deliver so little :lol: ).
Han Xin's past-time - 沉湎於酒, 淫於聲色, 左手擁華姬,右手抱越女:lol:
Han Xin
Shu Emperor

Unread postby Mitsunari Ishida » Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:59 am

I voted for Cao Rui, he was said to be clever, and a good archer, as well as a daring horseman. He was also intelligent and aware of Lu Xun. I also think Cao Pi was a good ruler, and Cao Zhang was a good warrior, I also think that Cao Fang should have been up there, he may not have ruled for long because of the Sima family who were traitors, he still though, ruled Wei.
Mitsunari Ishida
Scholar

Unread postby Stefanos » Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:52 am

My vote was for Cao Zhi. Though he was fond of liquor, he was quite intelligent. I like the story where Cao Pi had him take seven steps to think up a poem. I think Cao Zhi would've made a better ruler than Cao Pi, IMO.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby Cao Ren » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:28 am

ok course my man cao ren, brave general, an ok strategist and a great general, i think he showed the most of any of them
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Sun Nov 03, 2002 2:36 pm

Han Xin wrote:
I don't know why people like Cao Chong for, just because he was a child prodigy does not mean he would grow up to be a genius. Just look at Zhuge Ke, he was also known to be brilliant as a kid, but achieve nothing. Or maybe Zhuge Ke only prepresent the norms of the Zhuge's clan (promise so much, deliver so little :lol: ).

Haha.. :lol:
Zhuge Ke never really did get a chance to prove himself because he was assassinated so early in his career. It's true that the child prodigies are very amusing in the novel, but they lack impressive feats in their older age. (e.g. Emperor Xian).

Anyways, I voted for Cao Zhi. I believe he had more potential than most of the Caos to be a peace time ruler, but I am unsure of his capabilities of being a ruler in war time. It's true that most of his psychological problems stem from the absolutely horrible Cao family-life. (For Zhou Dexiang, this is what I meant with Confucian ethics) but I also think that the chaos of life at that time made it very hard for Cao Zhi to establish himself as a worthy heir of Cao Cao's position.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Starscream » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:24 pm

I'd vote for Cao Pi. Maybe he's not as capable as his father in terms of military command (none of his siblings did), but Cao Pi was skilful at politics. He was able to grasp his father's favour without being too obvious, and could gather supporters amongst his father's subordinates. As history has proven, he was the successor of Cao Cao. I don't think Cao Cao had made a wrong choice.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium