Pang Tong or Guo Jia?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Pang Tong or Guo Jia?

Pang Tong
25%
Guo Jia
63%
Equal
13%

Total votes : 24

Pang Tong or Guo Jia?

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:52 pm

I know this should be in the Vs thread but I would like this two particular individuals to be accessed properly on who is the better strategist.

Both were known to be extremely talented but died too early to really accomplish something significant. What are your opinions?
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Re: Pang Tong or Guo Jia?

Unread postby Dumb Taoist » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:15 pm

It's really hard to say, I'd say that Pang Tong has the higher reputation, being one of the two strategists who were said to be able to unite the land. However, it seems as if Pang Tong let his personal feelings get in the way of his tactics in many situations. Also, historically Pang Tong did not chain Cao Cao's ships together, so his merits are limited to the invasion of the Yi Province.
Dumb Taoist
Apprentice

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:46 pm

Hummm , it is not that hard :wink:

I'll take it history wise ,
PangTong's was known to bad at administrative duty .His never tricked Cao Cao .His three plans that he gave Liu Bei were not that complex with the third one being so obvious .

Guo Jia , however did do alot of great things and was up to the level of Xun Yu himself in many events .He did give Cao Cao some wise advices here and there .He did a great job in Cao's invasion against Yuan Shao's sons .

So , Guo Jia is the better man .
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:27 pm

PangTong's was known to bad at administrative duty

no he wasn't, he was known to out achieve his talents

Gou Jia was proven, Pang Tong was not
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby the glorious sun jian » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:31 pm

From Fact vs. Fiction in Pang Tong's section it is written :

""Pang Tong governed Leiyang poorly because he was bad at administrative duty. He did not remedy the problem, as the novel implies, after failing in his job.""

His SGZ went down , but I found this in his short bio ""At first, Pang Tong was appointed as an Attendant Official and ordered to assist the prefect of Leiyang. When he proved to be a terrible administrator ""
لا اله الا الله محمد عبده ورسوله
the glorious sun jian
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:16 am

I also believed Pang Tong was supposedly bad at administrative duty in actual history. Perhaps we should give our opinions on both novel and history Pang Tong vs Guo Jia.
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:43 am

he was noted for overreaching his talents and care for old people. One bad job shouldn't knock that

He later was promoted as the Gong Cao. He was known to be very concerned for the people and the elderly. His achievements even exceeded his talents, thus people were confused.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040109200022/www.3kingdoms.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=125318#post125318
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Cao Chao » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:52 am

In terms of analyzing the character and abilities of others, I would take Guo Jia. The way that he foretold the deaths of Yuan Shang and Yuan Xi at the hands of Gongsun Kang was sheer brilliance. Most important, however, for any adviser, is to make oneself trusted by his lord and Guo Jia was absolutely beloved by Cao Cao. It was said that Cao Cao remembered and lamented the death of Guo Jia after his disastrous defeat at Chibi. In these respects, Fengxiao is superior to Shiyuan.
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby mrbeate » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:32 am

Too bad Guo Jia died at like in his late 30s? And Pang Tong was ambushed by Zhang Ren. Both of em were great, i like Pang Tong in his campaign on Yi. And Guo Jia on predictions.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:25 am

Hmm prefer Guo Jia...although i'm Suisse...oh i mean Shuist :P

Guo Jia was very useful as an advisor but not yet proven as a commander. Pang Tong can lead troops.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium