Cao Cao's successor

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Best to succeed Cao Cao?

Cao Ang
63%
Cao Zhi
No votes
Cao Zhang
6%
Cao Chong
19%
Others
13%

Total votes : 16

Re: Cao Cao's successor

Unread postby Garfunkel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:56 pm

From my understanding Zhi wasn't interested at all until in positions of power until after Cao Cao died. Pi and Rui always prevented him from having such. His lack of discipline for so long alone though is enough to rule him out as a successor though it might have been interesting to see what he would have done if he wasn't such a lazy drunk his whole life.
Garfunkel
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Hardly his whole life, just his youth.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Garfunkel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 pm

He was completely up to the point until Cao Cao died as far as I know, and after that It didn't matter if he never touched wine again. There was no way his brothers would allow him into a position of power.
Garfunkel
Student

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Oh it may not have mattered that he was sober after Cao Cao's death in terms of his life. Just makes the term "if he wasn't such a lazy drunk his whole life." rather unfair
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Garfunkel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm

He was 28 when cao cao died and only lived 12 years after that. To me he had the opportunity to do something great when Cao Cao held him in high regard. He didn't care, he squandered his youth in drink, but because he never had the opportunity after his youth, he lost his "life" to the cup. His poetry aside, he wasted his "entire" life. I am very antagonistic when it comes to "drunks" because it invariably destroys other peoples lives. From my point of view, he wasted his life(again aside from the poetry).
Garfunkel
Student

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:28 pm

I thought that once, but you'll be surprised by him. I have a little sympathy for him. I prefer Cao Pi of course.
Cao Zhi sobered up and tried to take control of his life again. I made an argument similar to you in another post.http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7554&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=730
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Garfunkel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Shen Ai wrote:I thought that once, but you'll be surprised by him. I have a little sympathy for him. I prefer Cao Pi of course.
Cao Zhi sobered up and tried to take control of his life again. I made an argument similar to you in another post.http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7554&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=730

I have enormous respect for Zhis poetry. From my perspective, he wasted his life. He had the potential to take Cao Caos position, he failed. Saying he was a drunk may seem unfair, but it doesn't change the fact that he was a drunk until cao cao died, and he tried to change his ways too late. Even in the SGZ it says cao cao had completely given up on him right before his(cao cao) death.
Garfunkel
Student

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Yeah that is a realistic take on it. I really don't know what would have happened to Wei if he had taken the role as successor.
Ang seems to be the only true candidate if he had lived. Don't know how Cao Pi might have reacted.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Garfunkel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:01 pm

Shen Ai wrote:Yeah that is a realistic take on it. I really don't know what would have happened to Wei if he had taken the role as successor.
Ang seems to be the only true candidate if he had lived. Don't know how Cao Pi might have reacted.

I think had Cao Ang pursued a military career and not completely screwed up he would have the support of all the senior officers and without their support Pi would have no chance for a coup. I don't think Pi would have made a bid for power unless he thought he could pull it off. I wouldn't be surprised if Ang was bitten by "venomous rats" though
Garfunkel
Student

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:09 pm

Hahaha, so you believe that theory on Chong?

Jia Xu would support Ang as would Xun Yu while he still lived so Cao Pi would lose some people. Jia Kui and Sima Yi would follow suit if they deemed Ang worthy.

I can see Ang at least loosely trusting his brothers. Maybe he would give Zhang and Pi and Gun some ranks.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium