Cao Cao's successor

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Best to succeed Cao Cao?

Cao Ang
63%
Cao Zhi
No votes
Cao Zhang
6%
Cao Chong
19%
Others
13%

Total votes : 16

Cao Cao's successor

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:37 pm

With the exception of Cao Pi, who became the successor, which other of Cao Cao's sons were the most appropriate to succeed Cao Cao and govern the country?

Pls note their strengths and weaknesses.

Note: Please vote or cast your opinions in terms of how well the candidate would govern the country and become a leader. Please do not be influenced by the fact that Cao Ang was eldest etc...
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Re: Cao Cao's successor

Unread postby Zappa » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:44 pm

Well I think noone was a good choice look at the heirs in general Liu Chang, Sun Quans son, Yuan Shang and Tan they all failed.
I think the rule should go to the best men like fe: Zhang Liao or Sima Yi who proven them self in a lot of ways but in fact anyone could have done much better then Cao Pi :lol:

Ps:Your oppening many threads arent you? But your topics are all interresting.
Last edited by Zappa on Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:46 pm

Haha it seems so. I'm just an avid rotk scholar and I just wanna hear other people's opinions.
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Unread postby Zappa » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:55 pm

I'm just an avid rotk scholar and I just wanna hear other people's opinions.

I like it a lot too.
But it looks like the people havent much to say at least for today :lol:
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Give us time

Ang, simply because he was eldest and bar actually being a mental retard, would have had the support of the officer core. Zhi was outmaneuvered by Pi and a drunkard so would be unsuited even taking out the age thing, Zhang showed little intrest till the last second and was too keen on the army, we don't know how Chong would have matured.

In Pi's defense, he was an able ruler in internal matters and some important reform happed because of him
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 pm

Had he lived, obviously Cao Ang would have been the best choice for heir, just due to being the eldest so to avoid succession conflicts like what happened with Yuan Shao and his sons. However, if Ang is still killed at Wancheng, I'd say that Chong would be the best alternative. Zhi, while intelligent, was lazy, unmotivated, and irresponsible. Not to mention that he had absolutely no experience in anything that would qualify him to be heir. Zhang was only suited to be a general, not a government official, let alone ruler. Meanwhile, Chong was incredibly intelligent at such a young age and had already been frequently involved in state affairs. Granted, he could have grown up and been corrupted like Zhuge Zhan, or fallen into habits like Cao Zhi, and had no military experience, but I do think he was more capable for the position than any of his brothers, barring Ang and Pi.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 am

hmmm i choose Cao Ang. I got feeling he will become a good successor :D
He sacrificed himself to a great purpose which is his father's life.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Zappa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 pm

Wasnt Ang only fixed on war and millitary? A ruler needs skills in all kinds of things like domnestics and politics.
The fathers should have thaught their children better since no heir was able to do sth. good like Liu Chong
who gave Jing to
Cao. The best heir was Sun Ce managed to do sth.Quan actually never accomplished much he had some power but only because of his advicers and the work of his late brother.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:32 pm

Zappa wrote: The best heir was Sun Ce managed to do sth.Quan actually never accomplished much he had some power but only because of his advicers and the work of his late brother.

I actually beg to differ. Sun Quan was great at politics and domestic affairs, greatly contributing to the stability of Wu, of course with the help of people like Zhang Zhao, Lu Su and everybody else. Sun Ce was a conqueror, highly skilled in war, establishing the foundation of Wu.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Unread postby Zappa » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:35 pm

I agree but lets say Sun Ce died with his father I dont think Quan would have managed to take over Jiang Dong as hes brother did.You also forget that Wu was done after Ces death due to Lu Su and Zhou Yu and others it was saved Quan was unexperienced at that time he gained his knowledge with the years.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium