Cao Ang - Possible heir, if he lived?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Cao Ang - Possible heir, if he lived?

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:03 am

If he did not give up his horse and did not die or somehow escaped, could he be in contention with Cao Pi and Cao Zhi and maybe Cao Zhang to being the heir of Cao Cao? Cao Ang was the ELDEST son.
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Re: Cao Ang - Possible heir, if he lived?

Unread postby Tarrot » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:23 pm

A lot of different things would've happened. I believe, his death caused significant strain on the relationship between Cao Cao and his first wife, and possibly none of the other Cao's would've been born had he lived, but I could be way off on it. Most likely he would've been the heir since he was the only son of the primary wife, and the other kids, while capable, would've had no real argument, or one which would've been backed up. No idea how he'd have done since there was never much information on him except for his filiality.
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Antiochus » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:46 pm

I dont see why Cao Ang would not have been Cao Cao's heir either. History would have been radically different had it happened, since we would have seen totally different Wei emperors. As for Cao Ang's talents, its hard to say. We know that he was brave, but that doesnt mean much.
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:36 am

I don't know enough about Cao Ang to really judge. The most competent thing he did that I know about resulted in his death. Maybe if he grew up, he could have ended up unworthy (from Cao Cao's perspective) like Cao Zhi. Or maybe he would have been perfectly apt for the job. It's really impossible to gauge.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby 1mandynasty » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:30 pm

this is just the same as sayin what if cao chong did not die which to me chong is a bigger threat to pi and zhi compare to ang
1mandynasty
Student

Location: Leaving my playground..okay playtime's over..time to growup..

Unread postby Tan_Binrui » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:21 pm

1mandynasty wrote:this is just the same as sayin what if cao chong did not die which to me chong is a bigger threat to pi and zhi compare to ang

Cao Cao's decision to make Pi heir was reinforced by many of his advisors. The reasoning was not because of competency, but because of proper inheritance. Pi became the ruler because he was the eldest son. Ang would have been if he had lived. Chong wouldn't have been even if he lived.
"Because he has died, there is no more room for death in him." -- Lao Tzu
Tan_Binrui
Langzhong

Unread postby GuoBia » Sat May 02, 2009 7:48 am

The politics make it really hard to answer. Even with the line of succession, Cao Pi was politically shrewd and knew to curry favor. If enough people thought that his rise to power would have benefited them enough, Cao Ang would probably have found himself quietly put out of the line, or declared inept or something.

If Cao Ang was clever, he could find a way to gain backing in the court. I think it all comes down to who could compete. There are too many factors, such as what if his mother had fallen out of favor for any reason, or Cao Pi's mother rose in favor? Not just Cao Pi, but all the other kids.

And even if Cao Ang had survived, the chance that Cao Cao would have had stopped having sons is unlikely.
Guo run! Guo run!!!!
GuoBia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Cao Pi would have probably just use some sneaky cunning tactics to get rid of Cao Ang jus like what he did with Cao Zhang and Cao Zhi.
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:52 pm

Zhang was never in the running and Zhi, whose claim was never widely supported, blew any chance he had without Pi needing to do a thing. Cao Ang, simply as the eldest would be far header to dislodge as heir
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lady Wu » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:17 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Zhang was never in the running and Zhi, whose claim was never widely supported, blew any chance he had without Pi needing to do a thing. Cao Ang, simply as the eldest would be far header to dislodge as heir

Though, given the number of "stable" years in the north and the long-ish life that Cao Cao had, there was a lot of time for politicizing. Plus they wouldn't have known if Cao Cao wouldn't pull a Sun Quan at the end.

And Cao Cao did favour Cao Zhi at one point, even just slightly over Cao Pi, and even though Zhi was junior to Pi.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium