Who should Liu Bei have placed in charge of Jingzhou?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Who should Liu Bei have placed in charge of Jingzhou?

Unread postby Zappa » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:25 am

Yes your right but I think Mi Fang just saw this as his last oppurtunity he was surrounded.At Chang Ban he could have run away
but thistime it was due or die
When you know you could be killed by your own commander

Well I must admidt I havent this historical knowldge but Guan Yu appeart to be an kind an hournable man would he execute his own men?I also heard that he left Cao without taking anything(in Novel)but it looks like Guan was more a tyran han a hero
Last edited by Zappa on Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:22 am

Wouldn't say tyrant but he isn't exactly super honourable either (then again, the novel doesn't portray them that honourably as well, it considers two of his kills as cheating and slaughters the six pass guards in the novel). He did hand back rewards from Wei, on other hand might have been miffed at not getting the (married) lady he wanted when Lu Bu surrendered, husband got killed by Zhang Fei, his handling of Wu wasn't too honourable either (though less dumb then the novel).

There is nothing to suggest Guan Yu wouldn't have executed someone if he felt it was right though again, there is no evidence that he would kill someone without reason either. But he had made the threat of punishing (which could mean anything from beating to execution under the circumstances) and that was enough to really sow doubts in the relevant men's minds about their own safety.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zappa » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:33 am

I see so he had two sides right?A good one and a well lets say a bad one.When I saw Guan as he appeared in media like:films and games and on internet pages where he is displayed as a God and man of honour I thought he was really an example of kindness well... at least he was a good warrior.
As the world changes,war comes and goes and with it might,wealth,right,freedom and land changes its owner,however the only thing that will always remain is the death,that comes with it.
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:09 pm

Yeah Dong really explained my argument for me but Guan Yu should of punished Mi Fang before he left or given him a pardon. Not leaving doubt hanging over his head. It could of motivated him in two ways, the first to defect and the other to prove Guan Yu wrong. I have a great respect for Mi Fang and his one of the few who's poor reputation really gets to me!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zappa » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:58 pm

Well I always thought Guan Yu as a shining example thats why I blamed Mi Fang and Fu Shi Ren they werent cowards as for Mi Fang he hadnt much choises same with Fu Shi Ren but I think Mi surrendered not because he was unloyal he was loyal but had to
do that In novel he even returned to Shu were he was executed also a sign of loyalty historically he didnt Im sure he would have done so if not for the fear to be executed.Fu Shi however was unloyalin my opinion he surrendered for his own sake!
But I dont call him coward to be honest who of us wouldnt?
Zappa
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium