Why Was Guo Jia considered to be so intelligent?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Why Was Guo Jia considered to be so intelligent?

Unread postby Diversebeats » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:05 am

just wondering what he did to be so intelligent.. Most of my HISTORICAL knowledge has come from reading this board over the past few months, I read the novel though.

Why was he considered so intelligent... I am playing RTK 11 and he is second in intelligence only to Zhuge Liang who is god in that game... Not questioning whether he was that smart, just wondering why?

I know Cao Cao was known for saying "If only Guo Jia were still alive", but did he have any feats in battle?
Diversebeats
Initiate

Re: Why Was Guo Jia considered to be so intelligent?

Unread postby ZhouTai50 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:12 am

Personally, I feel he's a good bit overrated by many in terms of his actual advising ability. He doesn't accomplish a whole lot and dies early. Granted, the advice he does give is solid and I think he would have had more deeds to his name had he lived longer, but I would still rank Cao Cao's other advisers like Xun Yu, Xun You, or Cheng Yu above him.

But, I'd say his greatest ability was that he was so close to Cao Cao that he could persuade him if he saw him making a mistake.
ZhouTai50
Sage

Unread postby Tarrot » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:44 am

In the novel, he was Cao Cao's first advisor and helped him out a great deal in settling the lands and dealing with Chen Gong. His biggest accomplishment is predicting the downfall of the remaining Yuan's when they went to the Gongsun family in the North East from beyond the grave, which was pretty damn smart even historically. Plus, he was Cao Cao's most trusted adviser (and hence, Cao Cao would listen to him).
Tarrot
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:14 am

I would rank Xun Yu higher, but Guo Jia gave pretty good advice. Neither were really strategists in the military sense. They weren't going out with troops and winning battles left and right like Han Xin or anything. They gave advice on what course Cao Cao should take here and there.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:23 am

I think were most consider him great is the comment about Jia and Chi Bi. I see it more as a reflection on Cao Cao's trust of Jia rather then a reflection of Jia as an intelligent men but people take it as meaning "Guo Jia would have worked everything out" while ignoring that other people had protested about Chi Bi. See Fa Zheng as well, one comment tends to bring the name
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Terranigma Freak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Why do people say Cao Cao ignored advise at Chi Bi? Cao Cao didn't ignore the advise, he made an argument that was superior. Cao Cao's reasoning was sound and it even convinced his advisors otherwise. Think of it as the debate game in the games.
Terranigma Freak
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:29 am

Tarrot wrote:In the novel, he was Cao Cao's first advisor and helped him out a great deal in settling the lands and dealing with Chen Gong. His biggest accomplishment is predicting the downfall of the remaining Yuan's when they went to the Gongsun family in the North East from beyond the grave, which was pretty damn smart even historically. Plus, he was Cao Cao's most trusted adviser (and hence, Cao Cao would listen to him).

Hmm you forgot one thing :D

"In 200, Cao Cao confronted Yuan Shao's force at the Battle of Guandu, leaving his base city Xuchang sparsely guarded. Seeing this opportunity, Sun Ce, a warlord in the south, planned to move north and attack Xuchang. Everyone despaired at the news, but Guo Jia foretold that Sun Ce, being proud and impulsive, would be killed by his own people before reaching Xuchang. True to his prediction, Sun Ce was assassinated before he could even cross the Yangtze River. Cao Cao then scored a great victory against Yuan Shao, solidifying his position as the strongest warlord in the north."

Guo Jia also predicted how Sun Ce died. I say this is also good acomplishment.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby Fledgling Phoenix » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:07 am

Terranigma Freak wrote:Why do people say Cao Cao ignored advise at Chi Bi? Cao Cao didn't ignore the advise, he made an argument that was superior. Cao Cao's reasoning was sound and it even convinced his advisors otherwise. Think of it as the debate game in the games.
Jia Xu advised Cao Cao against it. Jia Xu was never wrong*, as was proven again in Chibi.

*So tasking Zhang Xiu to ally with Liu Biao could be considered a blemish on his pristine career. At least he corrected it. :wink:

Edit: That being said, it's sad that Jia Xu just didn't get the recognition that Guo Jia, Kongming, and other greats had. Jia Xu could have advised a chimp into uniting the land if it would listen. I'd rate him greater than any other, personally.
Fledgling Phoenix
Initiate

Unread postby PhoenixRising » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:39 am

Hmmm i saw Jia Xu only equal to Chen Gong....hmm i prefer Xun Yu instead.
Move as swift as a wind, stay as silent as forest, attack as fierce as fire, undefeatable defense like a mountain-FURINKAZAN-
PhoenixRising
Langzhong

Unread postby simple » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:02 am

I know the talk said that Jia Xu was as good as Zhuge Liang.
Don't know how true.
But he sure was the advisor that lived the longest.
simple
Academic

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium