Ravages of Time-A more realistic depiction of SGYY?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Ravages of Time-A more realistic depiction of SGYY?

Unread postby Zafar Khan » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:25 pm

reading the last chapter about Zuo Ci conspiracy to kill Cao Cao was jawdropping.
Zafar Khan
Initiate

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:27 pm

I can't wait for someone to off Zuo Ci though.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:28 am

Shen Ai wrote:Yeah some people think poorly of him because he was the one who rallied Li Jue, Guo Si, Zhang Ji, and Niu Fu to seize Chang'an, kill Wang Yun, rout Lu Bu and kill Xu Rong and end the brief Han restoration. It was him who masterminded the whole event pretty much.

I thought that was more of Wang Yun being a stuck-up man, and refused to acquit Li Jue co., despite they was having gazillions of blood-thirsty troops and Liang rebels ready to plunder Chang An.
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Xiahou Ren wrote:
Shen Ai wrote:Yeah some people think poorly of him because he was the one who rallied Li Jue, Guo Si, Zhang Ji, and Niu Fu to seize Chang'an, kill Wang Yun, rout Lu Bu and kill Xu Rong and end the brief Han restoration. It was him who masterminded the whole event pretty much.

I thought that was more of Wang Yun being a stuck-up man, and refused to acquit Li Jue co., despite they was having gazillions of blood-thirsty troops and Liang rebels ready to plunder Chang An.

Wang Yun was partly in the OK though, since neither Li Jue nor Guo Si thought of actually seizing Chang'an until Jia Xu urged them on. They were preparing to run off into semi-exile from what I know.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zafar Khan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Shen Ai wrote:I can't wait for someone to off Zuo Ci though.

he's already 'Off'

that's why i say its jawdropping. not because Zuo Ci but because the outcome of his conspiracy...

Spoiler
http://www.dm5.com/m193813/
good luck if you could understand chinese it coz i cant :mrgreen:
but judging by watching the pictures of chapter 432-435 he's pretty close to kill Cao Cao. in very dramatic way. and in the middle of Cao's army
Zafar Khan
Initiate

Unread postby Shen Ai » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Zafar Khan wrote:
Shen Ai wrote:I can't wait for someone to off Zuo Ci though.

he's already 'Off'

that's why i say its jawdropping. not because Zuo Ci but because the outcome of his conspiracy...

Spoiler
http://www.dm5.com/m193813/
good luck if you could understand chinese it coz i cant :mrgreen:
but judging by watching the pictures of chapter 432-435 he's pretty close to kill Cao Cao. in very dramatic way. and in the middle of Cao's army

Ah, I'm following the English version which is quite far behind right now, so I'm not sure of what's ahead.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Xiahou Ren wrote:

In fairness to Wang Yun, he felt they were covered by the amnesty and it would be improper to do a second amnesty in quick succession. While overusing amnesties is a bad thing, it was a misjudgement on his part
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Apollo Kenobi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Lol.... Just the thread I was looking for.... A lot of questions regarding this manhua...

First in response to the thread I would say, The central theme of this manhua is the subjectivity of history... This is time and again shown in the comic.... For eg. Zhang Fei knows how he will be remembered in history, so does Liu Bei remark on the same thing regarding Guan Yu, and of course many other characters too remark more or less the same thing... They also show how an historian is brought to recount the tales of valour of the fighters and how you can't simply rely on historical records or take them at face value... The ability to discern and to sift through words is what will lead you to the truth... Chen Mou is brilliant this way... Because what he's actually saying is, that TRoT is not another depiction of SGYY but a historical source with as much standing as the SGYY... Absolutely brilliant... I had to read it 3 times in order to get that lol...

I checked the Chinese Raws ( I can't read Chinese BTW)... and it's till chapter 441....
Sima Yi gets Zuo Ci's head in a box.. Guan Yu with Zhuge Liang are trashing the whole camp.. I just don't understand where Sun Quan and Zhou Yu are though...

Also, a request to anyone who is still active on this thread and has read the entire manhua and has understood it.... Can you please explain some of the strategies that are used... It's mindboggling!!
Apollo Kenobi
Tyro

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:49 am

Apollo Kenobi wrote:Also, a request to anyone who is still active on this thread and has read the entire manhua and has understood it.... Can you please explain some of the strategies that are used... It's mindboggling!!

Sad to tell you this, but I've given up bringing logic into this manhwa years ago, specifically when...
Lu Bu could randomly teleport and leave his clone to be murdered by Li Jue's soldiers.
From that moment on, I knew this manhwa gonna abuse the same method. Put a random character in a dramatically dangerous situation, and pull a non-sensical deus-ex-machina bullcrap to keep him alive. I wouldn't be surprised if later Zhuge Liang talk Wang Lang to death and Yue Ying made a living fire-breathing oxen robot.
I'm just enjoying the character development and interpretation.
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby Apollo Kenobi » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:55 am

Xiahou Ren wrote:
Apollo Kenobi wrote:Also, a request to anyone who is still active on this thread and has read the entire manhua and has understood it.... Can you please explain some of the strategies that are used... It's mindboggling!!

Sad to tell you this, but I've given up bringing logic into this manhwa years ago, specifically when...
Lu Bu could randomly teleport and leave his clone to be murdered by Li Jue's soldiers.
From that moment on, I knew this manhwa gonna abuse the same method. Put a random character in a dramatically dangerous situation, and pull a non-sensical deus-ex-machina bullcrap to keep him alive. I wouldn't be surprised if later Zhuge Liang talk Wang Lang to death and Yue Ying made a living fire-breathing oxen robot.
I'm just enjoying the character development and interpretation.

Lol... It may seem like Deus-ex-machina moment, but that's a mix of almost all tropes you'd find when it comes to planning and gambit (read this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GambitIndex It will be interesting)... Since he is a high profile guy, he moves around with body doubles. Remember the Luoyang arc? with multiple Lu Bu's? or later when he takes Xu province from Liu Bei? he fools Zhang Fei into thinking that he was shot by an arrow at the gates in an ambush, but it turns out to be a body double and he was inside the palace all along...
Apollo Kenobi
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium