Ravages of Time-A more realistic depiction of SGYY?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Re: Ravages of Time-A more realistic depiction of SGYY?

Unread postby Shen Ai » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:41 am

Bush Leagues wrote:That sounds bad-ass. I might have to track this one down. Haven't read manga in ages.

Of course this is just after me and Beth start saving up for a house... :roll:

(sigh)

Growing up sucks. :D

It's worth a bit of a read if you get the chance so long as you don't mind a very loose retelling of the events.

Well, can't argue with that :D
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:35 am

My only gripe is the main lead, Liaoyuan Huo is EVERYWHERE.
I understand that he's supposed to be a "behind the curtain" character, but doesn't mean he has to participate in frickin everything, doesn't it?

The scene where... -I don't know whether this is a spoiler, since everybody already know SGZ/SGYY-
Anyway... where,
Ling Chao dies
is just ridiculous. I don't see any reason why Huo should be there at all.

Edit:
I also dislike Dong Zhuo's protrayal, which I think, just a poorly made-up excuse to make Jia Xu looks more loyal and virtuous.
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:47 am

Xiahou Ren wrote:My only gripe is the main lead, Liaoyuan Huo is EVERYWHERE.
I understand that he's supposed to be a "behind the curtain" character, but doesn't mean he has to participate in frickin everything, doesn't it?

The scene where... -I don't know whether this is a spoiler, since everybody already know SGZ/SGYY-
Anyway... where,
Ling Chao dies
is just ridiculous. I don't see any reason why Huo should be there at all.

Edit:
I also dislike Dong Zhuo's protrayal, which I think, just a poorly made-up excuse to make Jia Xu looks more loyal and virtuous.

I'll hear that. I don't even like him that much, so having him everywhere and beating up tougher men that he ever was bothers me.

Eh, I like Dong Zhuo's portrayal. It does remind me what young Dong Zhuo was maybe like. I always felt people gave Jia Xu a hard time for the wrong reasons. Yes, he helped Guo Si and Li Jue storm Chang'an. He was just doing his job.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Ren » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:17 am

Shen Ai wrote:Eh, I like Dong Zhuo's portrayal. It does remind me what young Dong Zhuo was maybe like. I always felt people gave Jia Xu a hard time for the wrong reasons. Yes, he helped Guo Si and Li Jue storm Chang'an. He was just doing his job.

You honestly think so? Some people are hard on Jia Xu?
You probably already noticed that I don't know much about popular view; but I didn't really find anything that I could blame Jia Xu on. Jia Xu is was not only a practical and efficient person, he was also very neutral on all factions. Seriously, I can't blame Jia Xu on anything. Well, probably for killing Dian Wei, but even then he was only doing his job.

Probably another view developed from DW series?
I only play 5th installment, and barely the 3rd, so I don't know how KOEI portrayed Jia Xu.

One more thing.
And to be fair, LGZ gave Gongsun San a 180 spin, so I guess I can't whine too much on Chan Mou for doing that to Dong Zhuo :(
Xiahou Ren
Assistant

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Xiahou Ren wrote:
Shen Ai wrote:Eh, I like Dong Zhuo's portrayal. It does remind me what young Dong Zhuo was maybe like. I always felt people gave Jia Xu a hard time for the wrong reasons. Yes, he helped Guo Si and Li Jue storm Chang'an. He was just doing his job.

You honestly think so? Some people are hard on Jia Xu?
You probably already noticed that I don't know much about popular view; but I didn't really find anything that I could blame Jia Xu on. Jia Xu is was not only a practical and efficient person, he was also very neutral on all factions. Seriously, I can't blame Jia Xu on anything. Well, probably for killing Dian Wei, but even then he was only doing his job.

Probably another view developed from DW series?
I only play 5th installment, and barely the 3rd, so I don't know how KOEI portrayed Jia Xu.

Yeah some people think poorly of him because he was the one who rallied Li Jue, Guo Si, Zhang Ji, and Niu Fu to seize Chang'an, kill Wang Yun, rout Lu Bu and kill Xu Rong and end the brief Han restoration. It was him who masterminded the whole event pretty much.

But I don't blame him for that. Considering he'd likely have died or remained a minor runaway for the rest of his life, he did what he could to both serve his lords and conserve his life.

I get what you mean though. They didn't show enough of the 'evil' side of Dong Zhuo.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:24 pm

Does Jia Xu still get hit for that? I thought that was long gone?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Does Jia Xu still get hit for that? I thought that was long gone?

Just a few people here and there. It's not common, but still kind of tragic. Given that Chen Mou wrote this quite some years back, I think it was rather interesting of him to show Jia Xu in a more positive like.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:44 pm

I don't think anyone would accuse Jia Xu of being a saint, but not as bad as Dong Zhuo. Many people served bad people who later served better people. Didn't Tian Yu serve Gongsun Zan and then go on to serve Cao Cao? Jia Xu was an amazing talent and even if he was morally ambiguous that doesn't take away from his brilliance.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Jia Xu seemed to feel he was as vulnerable as Li Jue, threw his lot in with them and then engineered things as best he could. He was a practical man who dealt with what hands he got but by helping Xian against his own masters, he did show character
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”

my tumbler

my officer analysis
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:08 am

Yes, as Director of Retainers he managed to rebuild the Han court to quite a high degree again, filling it with talented people and traditional Han loyalists.

Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium