Zhang Fei able strategist and perfect warrior...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Unread postby Stefanos » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:31 am

Chen Kun wrote:
Zhou Yu wrote:
Chen Kun wrote:one thing for sure,he was the bravest person in three kingdoms era :x

I would like to contest that. Zhou Tai, in my opinion, was the bravest. Read his SGZ and then tell me how you feel about Zhang Fei.

though Zhou Tai did many great things,do u think u can compare his actions with Zhang Fei's action in Chang Ban Slope

But Zhang Fei was not wounded to the point that his leader had a banquet just for him. Zhang Fei's performance at Changban was partially due to Guan Yu. He told Cao Cao that Zhang Fei was not to be messed with and Cao Cao believed him. The only thing he really did was stand on a bridge and yell.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby Chen Kun » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:46 am

Zhou Yu wrote:But Zhang Fei was not wounded to the point that his leader had a banquet just for him. Zhang Fei's performance at Changban was partially due to Guan Yu. He told Cao Cao that Zhang Fei was not to be messed with and Cao Cao believed him. The only thing he really did was stand on a bridge and yell.

hehe since when people count wound as the parameter of bravery :lol:
then every body who have wound can count as the bravest man :lol:
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dennis » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:55 am

I think respectively, Zhou Tai was the most brave Wu general, and Zhang Fei the bravest from Shu. Looking at both their accomplishments and metits, its very tough to gauge who is better.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Stefanos » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:59 am

Chen Kun wrote:hehe since when people count wound as the parameter of bravery :lol:
then every body who have wound can count as the bravest man :lol:

Well, most of the time the general doesnt fight except in a duel ect. When Zhou Tai charged in a crowd of enemy soldiers to save the desperate Sun Quan, he risked his life. He then lost Sun Quan and charged back into the battle, taking more wounds. When Sun Quan asked Zhou Tai to show the people at the banquet his wounds, he noted that they were festering and very deep. Any old Joe Shmoe could take a wound, but Zhou Tai was valuable and the loss of him was way worse than the common foot soldier. Zhang Fei did not do anything spectacular at Danyang. He didnt fight, or do anything courageous other than yell at Cao Cao.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby James » Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:05 am

Zhou Yu wrote:Well, most of the time the general doesnt fight except in a duel ect. When Zhou Tai charged in a crowd of enemy soldiers to save the desperate Sun Quan, he risked his life. He then lost Sun Quan and charged back into the battle, taking more wounds. When Sun Quan asked Zhou Tai to show the people at the banquet his wounds, he noted that they were festering and very deep. Any old Joe Shmoe could take a wound, but Zhou Tai was valuable and the loss of him was way worse than the common foot soldier. Zhang Fei did not do anything spectacular at Danyang. He didnt fight, or do anything courageous other than yell at Cao Cao.

I think it is fair to say that they were both incredibly brave. I also speculate that any act of bravery that one may have taken the other would have been willing to match. Both were willing to put their lives online for their duty and the people they cared about, and you don’t get any braver than that.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby twiztidscholar45 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:27 am

Well the way the game put it in dw4 was that liu bei didnt have any real strategy until zl cause in a scene they show guan yu and zhang fei complaining that they dont need a strategist
In this battle strength alone will not save you
twiztidscholar45
Assistant

Unread postby Han Liang » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:28 pm

Zhang Fei is a little like Huang Gai, in my opinion. Strong veteran with ideas. I used to hate him and like Guan Yu, but now I know him better, Guan Yu's the jerk and Zhang Fei the able warrior...
Han Liang
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jimayo » Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:06 pm

Stefanos wrote:Well, most of the time the general doesnt fight except in a duel ect. When Zhou Tai charged in a crowd of enemy soldiers to save the desperate Sun Quan, he risked his life. He then lost Sun Quan and charged back into the battle, taking more wounds. When Sun Quan asked Zhou Tai to show the people at the banquet his wounds, he noted that they were festering and very deep. Any old Joe Shmoe could take a wound, but Zhou Tai was valuable and the loss of him was way worse than the common foot soldier. Zhang Fei did not do anything spectacular at Danyang. He didnt fight, or do anything courageous other than yell at Cao Cao.

Oh really? Facing down a very large army with 20 men isn't brave?
98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.
Jimayo
Lord of the Thirteen Hells

Location: Nothingness. And that's where I'll be returning in oh, about 15 minutes.

Unread postby ShuWeiYan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:56 pm

Stefanos wrote:
Well, most of the time the general doesnt fight except in a duel ect. When Zhou Tai charged in a crowd of enemy soldiers to save the desperate Sun Quan, he risked his life. He then lost Sun Quan and charged back into the battle, taking more wounds. When Sun Quan asked Zhou Tai to show the people at the banquet his wounds, he noted that they were festering and very deep. Any old Joe Shmoe could take a wound, but Zhou Tai was valuable and the loss of him was way worse than the common foot soldier. Zhang Fei did not do anything spectacular at Danyang. He didnt fight, or do anything courageous other than yell at Cao Cao.

So, you're saying that yelling in front of a large army and scaring them away is not courageous? If it wasn't for Zhang Fei at Danyang, Liu Bei would've died at Chang Ban, fool.

ModEdit (SH): Flame Warning, see your PM box.
What's that thing called when a guy is gay for a girl?
-Homer Simpson
ShuWeiYan
Langzhong

Unread postby Elitemsh » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:50 am

Zhou Tai was a brave warrior and important to Wu, he was more of a bodyguard than a general. Zhang Fei, though, is both a great warrior and a good general. Zhang Fei started as a foolhardy warrior but developed and eventually became accomplished in strategy. His defeat of Zhang He, in particular. showed this since Zhang He was known not to be foolish. Overall Zhang Fei was easily one of the best generals in the three kingdoms and developed over time whereas most generals didn't.
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium