Zhang Fei able strategist and perfect warrior...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Zhang Fei able strategist and perfect warrior...

Unread postby Dennis » Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:06 am

Chapter 70

19 "He despises me too much," said Zhang He.20 And Zhang He gave orders to prepare for a night attack on the enemy camp. His own troops in Camp Dangqu should do the raiding, and those from Camp Mengtou and Camp Dangshi were to support them.21 There was little moon that night, and Zhang He took advantage of the obscurity to steal down the side of the hill. He got quite close to the enemy camp and stood for a time looking at Zhang Fei sitting amid a blaze of lamps and drinking. Suddenly Zhang He dashed forward with a yell, and at the same moment his drums on the hill-top rolled out their defiance. Zhang Fei never stirred. Zhang He rushed at him and delivered a mighty thrust with his spear. Zhang Fei toppled over---it was a Zhang Fei of straw. Zhang He checked and turned his steed. At that moment he heard a string of detonations, and a warrior appeared before him barring his way. It was the real Zhang Fei, as the round head and thundering voice speedily made manifest.22 With the serpent halberd set, Zhang Fei rode toward Zhang He. The two warriors fought many bouts under the gleaming lights. No help came to Zhang He. In vain he yearned for the assistance, which the two camps were to bring him. He did not know that his reinforcements had been driven back by Wei Yan and Lei Tong, and that the two camps, Mengtou and Dangshi, were now in possession of his enemies. As the help did not come, Zhang He was powerless; and, to add to his discomfiture, the glare of fire out in the moutains of Dangqu told him of the seizure of his third camp by Zhang Fei's rear force. Nothing could be done, and Zhang He cut an alley, forced out of the press, and fled to Wakou Pass. The victory was all to Zhang Fei.23 The news of the success delighted Liu Bei, and he knew then that Zhang Fei's drinking had been part of a stratagem to entice his enemy into the open and defeat them.24 Zhang He reached Wakou Pass, but with the loss of two-thirds of his army of thirty thousand troops. He stood on defense and sent urgent messages to Cao Hong to come to his rescue.

Many of us know about Zhang Fei coaxing Yan Yan into working for Liu Bei with his strategy which was plainly out of character, but there are other battles that Zhang Fei had partaken in, that were soon forgotten. This exerpt from SGYY shows Zhang Fei's martial prowice battling Zhang He, field commanding ability in setting up Wei Yan, and Lei Tong's armies, and finally his skill in psychological warfare, in letting Zhang He get fooled by his ploy... Zhang Fei is clearly underrated in comparison with the likes of Zhao Yun and Guan Yu, what do the rest of you think?
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Chen Kun » Thu Oct 31, 2002 3:21 am

well I never underrated that GUY,he was absolutely one of the FIVE TIGERS :x
I really impressed with his tactic in Chang Ban Bridge.I think we can compare him with Xiahou Dun from Wei.
I AM CHEN KUN OF SOC,WHO DARE TO CHALLENGE ME?
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jiang Zhi » Thu Oct 31, 2002 4:55 am

I think out of all the 5 tiger generals, he's the funnest and always filled with surprises :) His beard reminds me of some fun guy type :P even though, he's pretty rough when he's drunk......His strategies are somewhat odd but amusing too :) also effective!
Jiang Zhi of Foshan, style Maodi
~*!越武帝!*~ - 我愛我的妻子孫尚香!
Nan Hai, Jiaozhou

Laconius Arts and Design My Rot3K fanfiction
Jiang Zhi
Sun Shang Xiang's puppy-eyed slave

Unread postby Liu Jin » Thu Oct 31, 2002 5:01 am

Hm...Zhang Fei's INT in RTK7 is around 30...ouch

Well..I'm not saying that he is smart or anything, but his INT is suppose to be like around 60?

Zhang Fei was one heck of a man...sometimes he can be the smartest person you can find, even smarter then Zhuge Liang (sarcastic) and sometimes you look at him in the eyes and his stupidness goes over to you! :x
Liu Jin

Unread postby Sam » Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:07 pm

It always did annoy me when people referred to Zhang Fei as being rash, a drunk and incapable of strategy. He is one of the most underrated characters, people only seem to see his mistakes, such as the way he was killed, and not his achievements, such as what you have specified. He was among the greatest fighter in the three kingdoms era, not only that, but he was also a good strategist, I feel he surpasses Guan Yu in every way. In my opinion, he was one of the greatest generals in Shu history.
Sam
Sweeper of Invaders

Unread postby James » Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:39 am

Historically Yide was every bit as cool as the SGYY warrior, and a fairly intelligent warrior to boot, in my opinion. Zhang Fei is certainly one of my favorite characters. His flaws were still there, and they eventually lead to his death (being too harsh to his men), but he was miles away from mentally or physically incapable.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Stefanos » Sun Nov 03, 2002 12:50 am

Zhuge Kongming wrote:Historically Yide was every bit as cool as the SGYY warrior, and a fairly intelligent warrior to boot, in my opinion. Zhang Fei is certainly one of my favorite characters. His flaws were still there, and they eventually lead to his death (being too harsh to his men), but he was miles away from mentally or physically incapable.

I agree. Yide showed his abilities at many many places, ie Changban, the Shu Invasion(Yan Yan's capture and using him to make the cities surrender), against Ma Chao(under Zhang Lu), and against Cao Cao at Hanzhong. He may have been harsh and a drunkard, but his intelligence was not limited to what LGZ makes him out to be.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby Chen Kun » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:11 am

one thing for sure,he was the bravest person in three kingdoms era :x
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stefanos » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:13 am

Chen Kun wrote:one thing for sure,he was the bravest person in three kingdoms era :x

I would like to contest that. Zhou Tai, in my opinion, was the bravest. Read his SGZ and then tell me how you feel about Zhang Fei.
I told you I get paid for every letter.. like abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
Stefanos
我的甜孩子

Unread postby Chen Kun » Sun Nov 03, 2002 1:26 am

Zhou Yu wrote:
Chen Kun wrote:one thing for sure,he was the bravest person in three kingdoms era :x

I would like to contest that. Zhou Tai, in my opinion, was the bravest. Read his SGZ and then tell me how you feel about Zhang Fei.

though Zhou Tai did many great things,do u think u can compare his actions with Zhang Fei's action in Chang Ban Slope
Chen Kun
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium