Hi all, my first post here.
I just wanted to share my opinion on the frequent Guan Yu vs Zhang Fei debates, and I just wanted to make the case that Zhang Fei is consistently one of the most underrated generals there is and Guan Yu is one of the most overrated generals around.
Tactically, Zhang Fei's series of strategies give him the superiority over Guan Yu. It seems that all Guan Yu ever did in terms of tactics was the drowning of Yu Jin and Pang De. Meanwhile, Zhang Fei has all of the following going for him:
1. zhang fei's ruse at chang ban was the main key to his halting cao cao's legions. his use of the hidden soldiers rising up clouds of dust was what made cao's army halt for fear of an ambush
2. zhang fei's tactical defeat of yan yan in Baxi - faked going around the city while giving yan yan false information to lead yan yan directly into his ambush and captured him alive
3. zhang fei vs zhugeliang - one of the few people who ever managed to surprise zhuge liang by beating him in the competition regarding who will reach Shu first. Zhang Fei bet zhuge liang that he will be able to reach shu first even though he took the land route and had to traverse so many passes, while zhugeliang and zhao yun took the easy water route with no hindrances, and zhang fei got there first thanks to capturing and using yan yan, giving zhugeliang a shock
4. Baxi and Wakou pass battles against Zhang He - completely debunks the common misperception that Zhang Fei was brainless and just a warrior. The series of tactics Zhang Fei pulled off here puts him on a level with tacticians such as Fa Zheng, utterly destroying a much superior army led by Zhang He in a series of ploys including using faking his own drunkenness to trick Zhang He into a three sided ambush
5. that ploy in Xu Zhou to catch that one guy alive (i forget his name. Liu something)
Strength wise, I believe Zhang Fei is also superior, as I believe Guan Yu's accomplishments were vastly overrated.
Duel against Hua Xiong - he cut down hua xiong while hua xiong was trying to ask his name, b4 hua xiong even began to fight
Duel against Lu Bu - Guan Yu joining the fray made no difference. Before he joined, Zhang Fei fought Lu Bu to a draw. After he joined, Zhang Fei fought Lu Bu to a draw still
Duel against Yan Liang - Again, Guan Yu rushed in and cut down Yan Liang b/c he had a fast horse and b4 Yan Liang could even raise his weapon
Duel against Wen Chou - book said that Wen Chou got scared after 10 bouts and ran away, and since Guan Yu was on red hare he just caught up and cut him down
Duel against Huang Zhong - this was a good duel, but IMO huang zhong wasn't incredibly strong either. Huang Zhong only managed to kill an armorless and horseless XiahouYuan on the ground
Meanwhile, who did Zhang Fei duel - Ma Chao for hundreds of bouts, Lu bu to a draw at HuLao Gate. Defeated Lu Bu in a duel 1on1 at XuZhou (granted, Lu Bu was slightly drunk). Defeated Xu Chu in a duel 1on1 at the Han River (although Xu Chu was also drunk)
Guan Yu and Zhang Fei both do have their flaws, with Guan Yu's arrogance and Zhang Fei's love of wine and temper. However, I would say Zhang Fei was superior to Guan Yu both tactically in in terms of battle skill.
What does everyone else think?