Guo Jia is overrated.

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

Gui Jia.. overrated or not?

Yes, he's very overrated.
5%
I think he's a bit overrated, but Cao was right that he could win China for him.
21%
Average- I dont think he's overrated.
29%
I think he's a little underrated.. actually!
29%
He's really underrated- Guo Jia could have taken over the WORLD!!!!!!
17%

Total votes : 42

Guo Jia is overrated.

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu May 08, 2008 9:39 am

Heh.

Lets all hear the groan of "not again with the overrated thing Tongy."

:lol:

Right, so I was reading through SGYY and Guo Jia's SGZ bio here and it seems to me that Guo Jia is overrated on this forum and elsewhere.

Basically, in his SGZ bio, it seems that Guo Jia rides along with everything that Xun Yu suggests and basically says the same thing. He seems to step up a little more towards the end of the defeat of the Yuans.. I think he was a competent adviser and to a degree and strategist.

The reason I think for his overratedness is that in a lot of ways, I think that Guo Jia is respected because Cao Cao revered him so much- when he dies Cao Cao goes on and on about how much he respected him and thought that he was the key to domination of China.

However, I dont think he was as proven as Cao Cao thought he was...

What do you think?

-Tongy.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu May 08, 2008 12:17 pm

I don't think he is overrated. Granted, I haven't read his SGZ before, but if you are correct with your assessment, then I don't think he would be overrated. It takes a smart strategist to go along with the right plan, regardless whose plan it is. It keeps the army together and it'll get you trusted. I mean, just look at what happened to Yuan Shao's forces when the strategists thought to try to over stretch their power by putting themselves in different camps.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 08, 2008 12:50 pm

I elected second option as Cao Cao was right, Jia could have won it for Wei but not because he was super super smart

Jia was insightful about men and was smart enough to know which plan to back if there were two opposing plans. This makes him useful but what made him invaluable was he know how to persuade Cao Cao when others couldn't, he could manipulate his leader. I don't think he is a great man or mind but he certainly was useful to Wei
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Phuc » Thu May 08, 2008 1:03 pm

IMO, he was average, not overrated. Though he was far from being Wei's best advisor, he did came up with many plots to defeat the Yuans after all.

Jia was insightful about men and was smart enough to know which plan to back if there were two opposing plans. This makes him useful but what made him invaluable was he know how to persuade Cao Cao when others couldn't, he could manipulate his leader. I don't think he is a great man or mind but he certainly was useful to Wei

Fully agreed with Dong here.
My English isn't very good, so forgive me if there are any grammar/spelling mistakes in my posts.
Phuc
Student

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu May 08, 2008 1:10 pm

Dongy, I agree with most of what you've said here, especially the part where you assess his character- he can judge people well, and he can manipulate his leader.

What's more, I agree that he wasn't the greatest of minds, or of men.

I do feel that people tend to say Guo Jia was the best adviser/ strategist/ tactician ever, and I think that's over the top!
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Phuc » Thu May 08, 2008 1:34 pm

I do feel that people tend to say Guo Jia was the best adviser/ strategist/ tactician ever, and I think that's over the top!

I think that came from a poem praising Guo Jia after his dead (in the novel). IIRC, it mentioned him as the "ablest in the world". IMO that was ridiculous too.
My English isn't very good, so forgive me if there are any grammar/spelling mistakes in my posts.
Phuc
Student

Unread postby Shi Tong » Thu May 08, 2008 1:37 pm

Indeed. Ablest in the world? I think that's really a bit too much.

I mean.. nobody can really be given that title. I think that Xun Yu was actually better than Guo Jia too. He served longer and IMO gave better advice.
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu May 08, 2008 7:46 pm

Yet I think both the novel and history, what Cao Cao does by lamenting backs up the persuader point. In the novel, Cheng Yu and others constantly warn of the dangers so it isn't lack of advice but that nobody could get as close to him as Jia had which is what Cao Cao berates them for. In history, Cao Cao's letter to Xun Yu is about Guo Jia's ability to persuade him to avoid going on the campaign whereas Jia Xu failed to persuade Cao Cao.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Lonely_dragon » Fri May 09, 2008 12:58 am

I pick out the second options for this... I think Guo Jia's quality is able to understand Cao Cao wells and can make him acts the way Guo Jia want so I agreed with Dong Zhuo's opinion on this... And I think that Cao Cao laments on his death because Guo Jia is the one who understands him perfectly...
Lonely_dragon
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Fri May 09, 2008 1:10 am

Lonely_dragon wrote:I pick out the second options for this... I think Guo Jia's quality is able to understand Cao Cao wells and can make him acts the way Guo Jia want so I agreed with Dong Zhuo's opinion on this... And I think that Cao Cao laments on his death because Guo Jia is the one who understands him perfectly...

Like him or not, but that is a pretty impressive quality to have. Cao Cao was an incredibly smart and crafty man, and I would imagine that it would take someone at the very least, that is as crafty and intelligent as Cao Cao to be able to manipulate him like that.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium