zhuge liang and the landmines...

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

zhuge liang and the landmines...

Unread postby NOD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:24 pm

i was reading a old chinese warfare book in the public library near by and.... it said the first chinese land mines were invented by prime minister zhuge liang....now... i rememberd in world history the chinese did invent gun powder or the earliest forms of it at least, and i dont think chinese used gunpowder weoponry till 919 AD or somewere close to that... does anyone else think this is false info??? or if its not provide me with better proof, i really dont think he used the first land mines
FOR KANE!!!
NOD
Assistant

Unread postby MistroPain » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:30 pm

Wrong, during the Three Kingdoms era bombs were used as signals. Bombs contain gunpowder.
Plus when Genghis Khan was imprisoned in China he used there own invention of gunpowder to escape!
And etc.

Zhuge could have definatly invented land mines. He is rated one of the best strategist (in the top twenty) of all time, and almost all strategists have not only contributed to tactics but to inventions which they could use. In fact i wouldnt be surprised if that was the reason DW have those explosive pots, could be a reflection of that.
Tho apparently land mines were used during the WZP campaign.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Unread postby NOD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31 pm

hmmmmm so the world history text books could be wrong then
FOR KANE!!!
NOD
Assistant

Unread postby MistroPain » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:36 pm

NOD wrote:hmmmmm so the world history text books could be wrong then

Maybe, most historical books you find have been altered to make the West look better, no joke, how many people figured out the world was NOT flat before the west, yet it sais westerners did, how many people figured how to make hospitals before the west did, yet due to emphasis the west are practically saying they made it, without actually saying it (just hiding the other facts).
Ive found many flawed history books, its late ill find some examples at another date when im bothered.
Soz if by any chance i did sound rude there, cause im kinda grumpy.
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby NOD » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:44 pm

its ok thank you very much for the information i just whanted to make sure
FOR KANE!!!
NOD
Assistant

Unread postby MistroPain » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:41 am

Actually looking at what i wrote now, since its morning in still grumpy :(
It does seem a bit ignorant, but it is partially true.
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shi Tong » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:31 am

Yes, Westerners are always evil. :roll:

On a comment to the thread subject- put it this way- even if gunpowder was not invented yet, land mines are still something which could be invented.

I mean....

Davinci (another evil Westerner) invented the helicopter (or was it Zhuge Liang again??), without ever having seen a "wing" in action, so Zhuge Liang could have thought "if there was an explosive material, we could use it like so" and invent the land mine.

However, I would say that a lot of inventions attributed to Zhuge Liang sometimes dont have a 100% historical base, so not everything in a text book which says "Zhuge Liang invented this" is going to have a totally solid evidence base.

It's safe to say that he probably did invent a hell of a lot of stuff though! :lol:
Shi Tong
Stupid Egg of Shen Zhou

Unread postby MistroPain » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:35 am

I never said Westerners are evil, im partially western!
As for Landmines, im pretty sure they had it, if they could have bombs why cant they have landmines, it would be designed so that wen you step on it it causes something to scrape against flint and blow up watever explosive is inside!
Bombs use gunpowder.
All gunpowder is, is saltpeter, there are other materials just like it which they might have used.
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby smellsam44 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 pm

not all bombs used gunpowder. there were reports that even rome created bombs by using oils and inserting them into either sheep or pigs stomachs and using them as bombs. bombs are in a general sense something that asplodes. So when the chinese created bombs they most likely used various oils, or other flammable object to create bombs. Zhuge Liang must've come up with the brilliant idea of taking those bombs and somehow putting them under ground or hidden overground and making explosions.

also your view on western textbooks may be true, but you could also say the same for eastern text books. History in itself is an opinion
smellsam44
Apprentice

Unread postby MistroPain » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:07 pm

The romans didnt really create bombs, they created molitov cocktails at its earliest form, didnt they?
Im pretty sure they didnt have explosives.
MistroPain
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium